when to aim to have LOR's complete?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted555445

i've asked for my LOR's, but of course i'll probably have to push/remind over the next few months. how hard i push will depend on the timeline. if i want to submit in the first few days after AMCAS is open for submission, assuming that means i get non-screened secondaries late June/early July, when is a good time to have LOR's ready by? when do schools really start reviewing apps for interviews, the time i would guess a missing LOR would set you back?

Members don't see this ad.

Since you already asked your LOR writers, I'd say May is a good date to aim for. If I am not mistaken, most schools send secondaries even if letters are not submitted, submission only matter for post secondary review. I had one of my letter writers submit in early July and all of my applications were considered complete in mid July when I submitted my secondaries.

Reactions: 1 users
i've asked for my LOR's, but of course i'll probably have to push/remind over the next few months. how hard i push will depend on the timeline. if i want to submit in the first few days after AMCAS is open for submission, assuming that means i get non-screened secondaries late June/early July, when is a good time to have LOR's ready by? when do schools really start reviewing apps for interviews, the time i would guess a missing LOR would set you back?
You technically only need LORs submitted by the time you submit secondaries, not the AMCAS primary. That being said, I recommend having them in ASAP. Late April - May would be the ideal time. I would definitely give an earlier deadline for your writers to aim for than when you want them.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Since you already asked your LOR writers, I'd say May is a good date to aim for. If I am not mistaken, most schools send secondaries even if letters are not submitted, submission only matter for post secondary review. I had one of my letter writers submit in early July and all of my applications were considered complete in mid July when I submitted my secondaries.

You technically only need LORs submitted by the time you submit secondaries, not the AMCAS primary. That being said, I recommend having them in ASAP. Late April - May would be the ideal time. I would definitely give an earlier deadline for your writers to aim for than when you want them.
thanks! i asked my writers to have them done by mid-April to be safe, but i've already had one start ghosting me about a meeting to discuss my application, so i'm preparing myself for having to pull teeth to get these done. it sounds like early July should be a "no-****" date, and if things aren't moving by late May/early June i should ramp up my annoying "hi, just checking in" emails. thanks!

thanks! i asked my writers to have them done by mid-April to be safe, but i've already had one start ghosting me about a meeting to discuss my application, so i'm preparing myself for having to pull teeth to get these done. it sounds like early July should be a "no-****" date, and if things aren't moving by late May/early June i should ramp up my annoying "hi, just checking in" emails. thanks!
Right now is also a very busy time for professors with the semester wrapping up, so don’t worry if they don’t respond right away. After May and the semester ends they will have more time for this. I had my last LOR submitted in late June and was totally fine.

Reactions: 3 users
This is a great question, with no "one size fits all" answer. The short answer is ASAP. Unfortunately, the "P" is entirely out of your control, and, if your writers are like most, they are not going to drop whatever they are doing to turn your letter around in 48 hours. :) The balancing act then becomes one of being patient and risking being at a disadvantage, or being a pain in the a** and risking being at a disadvantage (through receiving a LOR commensurate with the level of annoyance you subject your writer to).

Assuming your application is verified and transmitted on 6/25, of course, it would be best to have everything outside your control completed on that date so that you will be marked complete as soon as you submit your secondaries. This is the ideal, but it is often not possible and it often doesn't matter, because it's also not like schools drop everything and review your application as soon as it is complete, especially so early in the cycle! So, the question then becomes, as you asked, "when do schools really start reviewing apps for interviews, the time i would guess a missing LOR would set you back?"

The answer to that is -- it varies!! :) It's as early as July at some schools, since some people at some schools typically report receiving IIs as early as July and August every year (other than last year, when everything was pushed back a few weeks). But, as you surely know, it drags on through the following spring, and there is no rule regarding what pile your app will be placed in, or when you will be reviewed, regardless of how early you are complete. That's why the only reasonable response is to aim for ASAP, but to not freak out as long as they are in before Labor Day, because, the more annoying you are, the more likely it is that the letter will not be as good as it might have otherwise been.

Does your school provides committee letter? If so, the premed advisor may have their own deadline to have all the LORs in to start working on committee letters and they tend to work on FIFO.

Does your school provides committee letter? If so, the premed advisor may have their own deadline to have all the LORs in to start working on committee letters and they tend to work on FIFO.
i'm a non-trad, so i have to source my own. my post-bacc offers letters but not a committee letter.

Reactions: 1 user