When to Apply? Taking September MCAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorBob

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I am smashed, I have searched for my specific need but I haven't found anything that addresses my particular situation. I am a untraditional who will finish my prereqs this summer. I am waiting to take the MCAT in September after my classes are over so I am not under prepared, due to lack of organic chemistry. So.... My question is this. Should I submit my primary even though I am a nontraditional, and have a GPA of around 3.4, BCPM 3.7, early in the cycle, and just hope my EC's make me stand out? Or should I wait to submit the whole thing, with my MCAT score in October when I get the results? Any information will help.

Also if you are search savy, and have found a link to this particular question, spend your energy posting the link, instead of flaming. Or you can do both. Doesn't really matter to me, as long as I get some information out of the deal.

Members don't see this ad.

Before I am smashed, I have searched for my specific need but I haven't found anything that addresses my particular situation. I am a untraditional who will finish my prereqs this summer. I am waiting to take the MCAT in September after my classes are over so I am not under prepared, due to lack of organic chemistry. So.... My question is this. Should I submit my primary even though I am a nontraditional, and have a GPA of around 3.4, BCPM 3.7, early in the cycle, and just hope my EC's make me stand out? Or should I wait to submit the whole thing, with my MCAT score in October when I get the results? Any information will help.

Also if you are search savy, and have found a link to this particular question, spend your energy posting the link, instead of flaming. Or you can do both. Doesn't really matter to me, as long as I get some information out of the deal.

You should submit early because it will take you a while for AMCAS to verify your grades. Schools will not review your app until your MCAT scores are released. Hopefully you can fill out some secondaries before your MCAT scores arrive because you will be a little late.

If you're adamant about applying this cycle then yes submit early so you get verified.

However, schools won't look at your file until your MCAT score is out. Period. Some may send you a secondary and let you submit it but they won't review your file until they have an MCAT score.

So your GPA and ECs won't help you stand out early anyway - you will be complete at schools in October and they will review you then.

This is kind of late (not terrible, but a little) and will put you at a disadvantage. So ultimately its your choice - but considering people start getting acceptances on 10/15 and you will have just getten complete you may want to just wait and apply next year.

Hi, Bob. I'm also a non-trad. I took the August MCAT last year so my scores were relseased in October. I had my AMCAS application all set to go before then so that it would be complete as soon as the scores were released. If you wait until after you get your scores to submit your application, I think you will really be hurting your chances. The best thing to do would be to wait until the next cycle and apply early. If that's not an option, you should still submit your AMCAS as early as possible without your scores.