When to ask for med school recommendation letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

11n6tardis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a science professor that I want to ask a letter of recommendation. But I'm afraid it might be too early to ask. But if I ask later, such as in May, she may have a ton of letters to write and may even forget me (hopefully not). I had her last semester but she's not teaching this semester. She complimented me a lot and helped me greatly throughout the semester so I think she would write a strong letter of recommendation. When should I ask letters of recommendation? Any advice or suggestion would be appreciated.

In addition, how do Professors submit recommendation letters to AMCAS if the application opens in May? I'm very curious.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say ask now. Or soon - just remind them that they got some time, and that you'll check back in a few weeks/months for a reminder. More time the better!

You write the prof's contact in AMCAS, and AMCAs sends them a link that they can fill out, supposedly.

Ask now. and you can use interfolio or AMCAS letter writing service.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask now, your prof will appreciate the heads up. Does your school have a health professions office? They usually keep these recommendation letters in the system.

Thank you all! My school does have a health professions office, but I'm not sure how they handle the recommendation letters. I will ask them. I will also look up interfolio and the AMCAS letter writing service. And I will contact my professor soon.

I asked in January and February. By the time I asked one professor in February he said he was already almost at letter-writing capacity.

My prehealth committee had their own deadline for letters so I asked in September.

Yesterday

Always ask early

I actually told my profs week 1.

“ Hey, I’m trying to get inti med school so if there’s ever any advice you have from seeing premeds before me I’d be grateful. I’m also supposed to get letters from professors so I’d like to ask if that’s something you do and to also say that if you see anything that I need to improve on to please let me know and I’ll adjust.”

Wow I guess now is the time. Maybe I should get on that too now

Being just a sophomore is it maybe too early for me? Wouldn’t it be better to do more things with the professor so they can talk about stuff beyond an “A” in think their class?

Wow I guess now is the time. Maybe I should get on that too now

Being just a sophomore is it maybe too early for me? Wouldn’t it be better to do more things with the professor so they can talk about stuff beyond an “A” in think their class?
Yes, now would be a bit early for you, wait until the winter before you apply to actually gather the letters, but absolutely be forming relationships with profs along the way

Ok
Yes, now would be a bit early for you, wait until the winter before you apply to actually gather the letters, but absolutely be forming relationships with profs along the way

OK that sounds good. Yes I’ve been forming strong relationships with my Chem, Orgo, Sociology and English professors. Trying to get close to my physics professor haha.