when to call programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mossyfiber12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there are still quite a few programs that I am genuinely interested in but have not heard back from.

When can you call them up and ask what's your status is or whether they have taken a look at your application?

Members don't see this ad.

So there are still quite a few programs that I am genuinely interested in but have not heard back from.

When can you call them up and ask what's your status is or whether they have taken a look at your application?

I don't think it hurts to call this early, just be nice to the program coordinator. Some programs wait on the Dean's letter to give out invites. You can always check the respective subforum to see if anyone else has heard back from the programs.

I've gotten emails from several programs telling everybody to NOT send emails or call because they're still going through applications. If the program you're interested in has already started sending out invites, you might be able to call, but I'd personally try to hold out until November 1st if I were you.

Our Residency co-ordinator is deluged with calls every day regarding this issue and trust me, she HATES it :D
They will invite you when they invite you. Calling is just bad form.

Sweet baby Jesus, the MSPE isn't even out yet. Give it at least until the 2nd week in November.

I sent an email to a couple of programs that I knew had sent out invites but I hadn't gotten one from just expressing my interest and letting them know that my last LOR got uploaded......like 2 days later got invites. I imagine if you just express interest without saying "hey why no invite yet?" it can't hurt.

I sent an email to a couple of programs that I knew had sent out invites but I hadn't gotten one from just expressing my interest and letting them know that my last LOR got uploaded......like 2 days later got invites. I imagine if you just express interest without saying "hey why no invite yet?" it can't hurt.

Did they respond to your emails or just send an invite a few days later? I wonder if those places would have sent it anyway and whether it made any difference to contact them. Also, how does one contact a program if everything has been complete since September 1 and still no word?

Did they respond to your emails or just send an invite a few days later? I wonder if those places would have sent it anyway and whether it made any difference to contact them. Also, how does one contact a program if everything has been complete since September 1 and still no word?

No response to my emails. So obviously I have no idea if they were going to send me an invite regardless. Just figured I'd share my impossible to prove causality anecdotal evidence....... In the end if you are really interested in a program just shoot a concise email describing your interest in the program without hinting or soliciting for an invite. Worst case scenario they weren't going to send you an invite anyways and they might reply with a rejection letter. But by expressing interest it MAY move your app to the top for another look or MAYBE get you on the "interested applicant we will invite if we have cancellations" waitlist. If the specialty sub-forum you frequent has an interview thread look there and don't bother programs without confirmed interview invites.

I had a faculty member at CHOP in Philly tell me emailing can make you look desperate, and nobody wants a desperate resident. That, and if you're on the bubble for an interview, your chances at matching are awfully low. I'd take it as a sign.

Last edited:
I had a faculty member at CHOP in Philly tell me emailing can make you look desperate, and nobody wants a desperate resident. That, and if you're on the bubble for an interview, your chances are matching are awfully low. I'd take it as a sign.

I may be an idiot, but what do you mean by "if you're on the bubble for an interview"?

I may be an idiot, but what do you mean by "if you're on the bubble for an interview"?

If you're not getting an interview invite, and it requires a dean's phonecall, or you to email in order to beg for one, in order be granted an interview.

I really don't think there is a "right answer" to this question. Most of the answers are based on a few first-hand and mostly second hand experiences. I too have wanted to call some programs, but I have been sitting on my hands so far.

I do agree with HumbleMD that many PCs do not like being called by applicants. We forget that PCs are really busy with not only applicants, but they have to run the residency programs! A PC from Penn told me that she is particularly turned off by applicants who are demanding. She told me that she was especially annoyed by an applicant who stated that she should get an interview because she was given one at MGH.

However, there are numerous stories on SDN by those who claimed to have gotten interviews soon after calling a program.

I think every program is different and every PC is different. Also, you may catch the PC on a good day or a bad day.

I really don't think there is a "right answer" to this question. Most of the answers are based on a few first-hand and mostly second hand experiences. I too have wanted to call some programs, but I have been sitting on my hands so far.

I do agree with HumbleMD that many PCs do not like being called by applicants. We forget that PCs are really busy with not only applicants, but they have to run the residency programs! A PC from Penn told me that she is particularly turned off by applicants who are demanding. She told me that she was especially annoyed by an applicant who stated that she should get an interview because she was given one at MGH.

However, there are numerous stories on SDN by those who claimed to have gotten interviews soon after calling a program.

I think every program is different and every PC is different. Also, you may catch the PC on a good day or a bad day.

I'll be one of those anecdotal cases. I had 5-6 programs I hadn't heard from yet, and I gave them all a call earlier this week. One program told me that they were "basically full, but would take another look at my app." The next morning I got an interview invite. The rest basically gave me the "your application is still under review" line. Do with that what you will. I guess it probably did help, though I can't say for sure.

Is this sort of email less aggravating if you are say living in the area for the next month? It would be really nice to save myself the $300 plane ticket... I've heard anecdotally that the programs are sometimes receptive to taking a look at your application if it hasn't been reviewed yet and its for financial reasons. any experience with this?

Is this sort of email less aggravating if you are say living in the area for the next month? It would be really nice to save myself the $300 plane ticket... I've heard anecdotally that the programs are sometimes receptive to taking a look at your application if it hasn't been reviewed yet and its for financial reasons. any experience with this?
Absolutely OK. If I know you'll be around in the month of November, then I'll find a way to interview you then if I'm going to do so at all. This is very reasonable.

The more complicated question is when someone says "I'll be interviewing at the program across the street on Dec 17th. Any chance I can have an interview close to that to help keep travel costs down". That greatly limits the number of days you could interview on.

In any case, make certain you tell the truth. If I find out that you didn't have an interview across the street, or that you weren't really in the area, that's application fraud. And fraud = real bad.

In any case, make certain you tell the truth. If I find out that you didn't have an interview across the street, or that you weren't really in the area, that's application fraud. And fraud = real bad.

And this is why such an email is unlikely to get you very far. Were I a PD, I would just assume that you were lying to me if you sent an email saying, "I'm interviewing and Across Town State University on December 12th...can I interview at your program on the 14th?"

But, quite frankly, aPD is a better human being than I am (and, honestly, most PDs), so YMMV.

I'll be one of those anecdotal cases. I had 5-6 programs I hadn't heard from yet, and I gave them all a call earlier this week. One program told me that they were "basically full, but would take another look at my app." The next morning I got an interview invite. The rest basically gave me the "your application is still under review" line. Do with that what you will. I guess it probably did help, though I can't say for sure.

I'll be another anecdotal case. I decided to e-mail my no. 1 this week because I was 100% certain invites were being sent out. I got my invite a few days later. Would it have mattered? Unsure, but I am certainly glad I decided to be proactive about it.

when you guys send an email out, do you use the email in ERAS, or find the program director's email somewhere?

So how long after the MSPEs are released tomorrow (or presumably tonight at midnight?) do programs who waited for it start giving out interviews? Tomorrow? Friday? Next week? Just curious.

So how long after the MSPEs are released tomorrow (or presumably tonight at midnight?) do programs who waited for it start giving out interviews? Tomorrow? Friday? Next week? Just curious.

I think you'll see some this week but there are still the rare programs that won't sent out invites for another month

I'll be another anecdotal case. I decided to e-mail my no. 1 this week because I was 100% certain invites were being sent out. I got my invite a few days later. Would it have mattered? Unsure, but I am certainly glad I decided to be proactive about it.
These anecdotal cases are motivating me to make some phone calls as well.

I got one at 7:30 AM this morning. Otherwise, checking the 2010-2011 invites thread for OBGYN, Brigham, for instance, didn't send them out until 11/4. I think waiting until Monday would probably be a good bet.

Last edited:

Here's what I get confused about, what exactly do you say to a program coordinator that will change your chances of getting an interview?

Here's what I get confused about, what exactly do you say to a program coordinator that will change your chances of getting an interview?

I can never seem to say more than "I'll be in the area," "I really love your program," or both.

I worry more, about the fact that if they're interviewing 60 applicants, I don't imagine a pity interview spot would propel us from a last place position to matchable on the rank list.

So, similar question: if you call a program and they tell you you're wait listed, should you call back to check if people have cancelled? Is that going to make a difference in terms of determining whether you'll get an interview?

So, similar question: if you call a program and they tell you you're wait listed, should you call back to check if people have cancelled? Is that going to make a difference in terms of determining whether you'll get an interview?

Program coordinators are pretty good. I've followed up after a week and a half, and asked how many people are ahead of me for a certain date. They're pretty good about telling you how many, and how likely it will be.