When to find housing if you're still on waitlists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrinningAlpaca

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've put off finding housing for the med school I'm currently accepted to for a while. Was just wondering if I should cement that/really get going on finding a place. What would be the latest possible to figure something out? Should I tell the landlords/etc that I might be leaving before class starts? On 4 waitlists right now.

Members don't see this ad.

This is just me, but I think it is definitely time to secure housing... Or at least try to identify places that let you sign a month by month lease if you don't want to commit to a year long lease.

You know how when you wash your car, it rains?

If you want to get off a waitlist, find housing and sign a lease. :cool:

It's actually getting pretty late for waitlist movement, so definitely learn the housing market near the school where you hold an acceptance. Don't wait on that. If the market is wide open, you may be able to hold off signing something; but in a tight market, you don't have much time.

If you really want to hedge your bets you may be able to get into a house or apartment with roommates and put off signing a little longer. Though hedging that much virtually guarantees you won't get off a waitlist - see above.

Reactions: 1 user