When to go to ASHP residency Mid-Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lfc-2086

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently very stuck and cannot decide whether I should go to midyear this year (i am currently a P-3) or wait until later and go during my P-4 year? the biggest factor holding me back would primarily be cost. I really do want to do a residency. I have heard both but was just trying to see what you guys feel or have heard. I will be going p-4 year for sure.

Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I am currently very stuck and cannot decide whether I should go to midyear this year (i am currently a P-3) or wait until later and go during my P-4 year? the biggest factor holding me back would primarily be cost. I really do want to do a residency. I have heard both but was just trying to see what you guys feel or have heard. I will be going p-4 year for sure.

Thanks for your help

If your money could be better spent elsewhere, wait until next year. You'll have a few rotations under your belt and you'll be better armed to assess your likes/dislikes as a P4. In other words, you'll get more out of it.

I guess it could be nice to get the lay of the land and go to CE programs as a P3, but I only went to Midyear as a P4 and I don't feel like I missed out on anything. Unless you hold an office, are presenting research or just want a good excuse to go to Vegas, don't feel like you need to go to Midyear this time around.

No offense, but we'll be recruiting for the 2010-2011 residency class anyway. I certainly don't mind answering anyone's questions, but the candidates for next year's class have to take precedence at the residency showcases.

Agreed with above. Also, if you go, remember that people are trying to get information for this year. There is nothing more obnoxious than second and third years in your way when you are trying to get information that you need now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! We acted like a barrier to the program last year. When had to screen people to make sure they were 4th yrs before we would let them talk to the program director. It isn't being mean or unfriendly, there is just a very tight schedule. It is such a busy time!

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your help

I went to Midyear as a P3 and thought it was a big help. I felt like I knew more about what to expect, which events to attend, and how to navigate the Residency Showcase than my classmates who were attending for the first time as P4s. And Midyear was in Las Vegas, so I had a good time too. ;)

That said, I agree that it's pretty annoying to have to fight underclassmen at the Showcase when you're a P4. My advice to you is to just hang back and see how things work, and maybe just talk to people you know (e.g. a friend who's a resident somewhere). Each program is only exhibiting for 3 hours, and there will be a LOT of P4s who want to talk to them. Not to be rude, but the P4s take precedence over you. They're looking for jobs now and you are not. Respect that.