When to Leave?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funnybunny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After being accepted into a Pharm school and letting all your mentors know, when do people normally leave their position? I work in a research lab and a pharmacy and I'm going to be starting my Spring quarter soon. Should I leave during Spring Quarter to focus on my last remaining classes and just take it easy before pharm school starts? I'm planning on leaving at least before summer starts so I can have a free summer before school starts.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the acceptance! I don't think it really matters, if you want to relax for a bit longer leave now, if not leave at beginning of summer. Just be sure to leave professionally and on a good note!

After being accepted into a Pharm school and letting all your mentors know, when do people normally leave their position? I work in a research lab and a pharmacy and I'm going to be starting my Spring quarter soon. Should I leave during Spring Quarter to focus on my last remaining classes and just take it easy before pharm school starts? I'm planning on leaving at least before summer starts so I can have a free summer before school starts.

Is the pharmacy somewhere you would intern at while in school..? You may want to continue to work in order to stay in good with them to be sure you have somewhere you can do the intern hours that you'll need to do on your own. For California.. it's 900, so at 20 hours/week you could do them in a little less than a year, so it's up to you when. I understand wanting a free summer though..

Research lab...if it's not pharm related, I would say it's up to you when you leave if you've already gleaned much of what you can from that experience.

Just give a proper 2 weeks notice for either.. And, from my personal experience, don't give more than 2 weeks by trying to be nice...it turns into a month of them trying to get you to stay, which is nice but annoying at the same time. :)

Another consideration is..how tough is Spring quarter?

For me, I am actually just now searching for a pharmacy to work in (starting school in the Fall too), but my spring semester is already half over and I'm only taking my last class.

Members don't see this ad :)
IF you can still do your pharmacy work, just continue doing it. You can ask them if you can do Per diem or as needed position, If you are not going to attend a school near your current job, just resign and don't burn bridges. It may be your future employer.

And congrats!!! :D

Thanks everyone. This brings up another question. Would you recommend working while going to school? The pharmacy I'm at now is close to mu home but isn't closeby to my school but I found other job opportunities. I'm planning on leaving my current pharmacy on good terms in case I will want to work there whenever I am home. But would you guys recommend working while going to school?

Thanks everyone. This brings up another question. Would you recommend working while going to school?

I think that in order to be competitive that we will have to work during school. I'm normally a 'concentrate on school' type but if you come out of school 4 years later with no work history and no connections, it will be wayyy harder to have someone hire you. Residencies value work experiences too. You won't want to have a CV that just has your APPEs and nothing else.

Honestly, working during school isn't that hard, provided you don't kill yourself with hours and have an understanding supervisor who realizes you have other commitments. For example, I work one 5-hour shift a week, and two 10-hour shifts every third weekend. The extra money is nice, but as others have mentioned the real benefit is practical experience and the opportunity to begin building professional connections.

Are you serious!! Milk the ever living crap out of it! I am working until the day before I leave. More work now = MORE MONEY for pharmacy school. You wont have time to work during your P1 year, so having extra cash is GOOD for paying for gas so yo momma and yo daddy dont have to pay.

Are you serious!! Milk the ever living crap out of it! I am working until the day before I leave. More work now = MORE MONEY for pharmacy school. You wont have time to work during your P1 year, so having extra cash is GOOD for paying for gas so yo momma and yo daddy dont have to pay.

I should mention I'm not getting paid at my pharmacy -_- technically I'm n intern and I'm just getting volunteer experience. That's why I'm not too set on staying. But I would like to go back for volunteer hours during any breaks in pharmacy school.

I should mention I'm not getting paid at my pharmacy -_- technically I'm n intern and I'm just getting volunteer experience. That's why I'm not too set on staying. But I would like to go back for volunteer hours during any breaks in pharmacy school.

I would try getting a paid job.