When to start apps as a Canadian applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clever_smart_boy_like_me

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm currently waiting on interview results up here in Canada but anticipating the possibility I will need to re-apply this coming cycle. Will be applying in both Canada and US this year if necessary. I'm looking at buying the MSAR and picking appropriate schools for my stats but wondering if now is a good time or should I wait for my results first? They are due out in mid-May.
Does the MSAR become "out-dated" every cycle or is it useful for the next cycle? The one currently available is updated to March 2016 - I can't imagine requirements change that drastically between years but you never know...
I understand that the States has a rolling application process that we don't have... when do those usually open? I know that the earlier the application gets in the better.
Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

You'll want to submit the AMCAS application as soon as possible after it opens, which is June 1 this year. However, you are able to start filling it out starting May 2. So in that month after it opens for data entry and before it opens for submission, you'll want to get it all filled out so that you can submit right on June 1 or shortly thereafter. Then be prepared to get hit with a bunch of secondary applications starting in July. It's a good idea to start prewriting your secondary essays before you get slapped with all of them at around the same time in July. I used this website:
Medical School Secondary Essay Prompts Database - Prospective Doctor
to do that last year. It will have the previous year's secondary essays for each school, and most of them don't change from year to year, so use last year's prompts to pre-write your essays.

I'm not sure when MSAR updates, but when you purchase online access to it you can view it for a year, and as soon as it updates this year you will see the updated version when you login to look at it, even if you purchased your access before the update.

Reactions: 1 user