This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pioneer22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a overachieving premed set undergrad to start this fall :))).

I am taking intro chem + lab, intro bio + lab this fall, and am trying to complete the premed requirements fast enough and thorough enough to kill the MCAT and apply as an incoming senior to medical schools.

I have researched the premed classes, and found them to be: intro chem +lab, orgo +lab, intro bio+lab, intro physics+lab, molecular cellular bio, biochem, psych, soc...
Any recommendations on when to take these classes, and more importantly what month to take the MCAT?
I've heard January of Junior year, since you will have your score ready in time to apply for med schools, but taking it that early may leave you vulnerable to not finishing all the premed courses...While taking MCAT in summer of incoming senior year gives more prep time, but risks submitting Med school app too late.

Please advise. I know I may be pursuing this all too early, but all advice about MCAT timing is much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I respect your ambition and I bet you have what it takes. *BUT* don't have a goal of rushing through everything. Somewhere in your junior / senior years you'll starting prepping and have a better idea of when to take the test. Be open to having a fluid plan to do well and explore college, rather than sticking to a strict schedule.

First thing is first, focus on acing your fall term :)

I am taking intro chem + lab, intro bio + lab this fall, and am trying to complete the premed requirements fast enough and thorough enough

It's not about how quickly you complete them, but how well you do. A thorough understanding of the subject comes with knowing your limits (as far as courseload) and committing to the work. Two labs is not easy, but completely doable.

Any recommendations on when to take these classes, and more importantly what month to take the MCAT?

Take the MCAT when you are completely ready, and when your practice test scores are consistently high. It is ideal to have all pre-reqs completed but most of them can be self-studied if necessary.

I think you need to get through freshman year and assess your study skills + academic progress before laying out an MCAT schedule.

Other feedback?
Specifically, it would help if people commented what month they took MCAT, and if they completed all the coursework prior.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking the MCAT in August. Based off what I have already studied, it defiantly helps to take the pre-reqs first because you want studying for the MCAT to be more like a review instead of learning new material. Honestly I think upper level bio courses have been helpful so far as well.

I'm taking the MCAT in August. Based off what I have already studied, it defiantly helps to take the pre-reqs first because you want studying for the MCAT to be more like a review instead of learning new material. Honestly I think upper level bio courses have been helpful so far as well.

Are you applying this cycle?