When waitlisted, should I contact my interviewer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrZeke

yzarc gniog ylwolS
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was recently waitlisted at my number one choice and it was by far my best interview. My interviewer literally said "should the sky fall in and you not get accepted somewhere..."

She also seemed very impressed with me, and gave me a lot of feedback. I am arranging to meet with the dean of admissions to discuss my interest in the school and my intent, and ask what I can do to increase my chances of getting off that waitlist. Unfortunately, this meeting will have to wait till after the holidays.

Should I contact my interviewer and notify her of the situation and ask her what she recommends? Or do I just suck it up and wait to meet with the Dean. I was already accepted at another school, but I'm quite devastated, because I was hoping to get into this school. I know waitlist is not the end of the world, but it hurts.

I'm not in school, and I'm working non-medical jobs. I'm teaching in one job, and I am setting up a volunteer opportunity with a friend for after the holidays at a free clinic/AIDs clinic.

If I have offended any of you, I'm sorry, but I really need someone to talk to and maybe get some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

being a reapplicant who probably could have been more proactive about getting off waitlists the first time around, i think that there's no harm in contacting your interviewer again, seeing as how you had such a positive experience with him/her. i would suggest contacting the interviewer by framing the message as seeking suggestions/advice on what to do to help your cause seeing as how the school is your clear-cut number one choice. showing enthusiasm for the school is key, while straddling the fine line between enticing him/her to want to advocate for you to the admissions committee vs. coming across as trying too hard to use him/her as an "in" to help your chances. i think wording is important, but the aim should be just to keep your name in your interviewer's head by expressing your strong interest in the school and letting things take their course from there.

that's just my advice. others may say otherwise, perhaps to be more direct. good luck! but the moral is: be proactive. otherwise, you might look back and realize you could have done more to help your own cause. it's likely that others are doing the same. as long as you do so appropriately, you can only improve your chances.

Hey,

I was recently waitlisted at my number one choice and it was by far my best interview. My interviewer literally said "should the sky fall in and you not get accepted somewhere..."

She also seemed very impressed with me, and gave me a lot of feedback. I am arranging to meet with the dean of admissions to discuss my interest in the school and my intent, and ask what I can do to increase my chances of getting off that waitlist. Unfortunately, this meeting will have to wait till after the holidays.

Should I contact my interviewer and notify her of the situation and ask her what she recommends? Or do I just suck it up and wait to meet with the Dean. I was already accepted at another school, but I'm quite devastated, because I was hoping to get into this school. I know waitlist is not the end of the world, but it hurts.

I'm not in school, and I'm working non-medical jobs. I'm teaching in one job, and I am setting up a volunteer opportunity with a friend for after the holidays at a free clinic/AIDs clinic.

If I have offended any of you, I'm sorry, but I really need someone to talk to and maybe get some advice.

wow how did you get an arrangement with the dean of admissions! do most people request that off the waitlist? im also waitlisted at my top choice currently. i was just thinking of writing a letter of intent later in the interview season.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow how did you get an arrangement with the dean of admissions! do most people request that off the waitlist? im also waitlisted at my top choice currently. i was just thinking of writing a letter of intent later in the interview season.

I'm not sure if we are meeting or talking on the phone. Although, I heard the director/dean of admissions will hear you out. I live in the area and I've heard this happens at several schools.

Sorry about your situation. If I were you, I would contact the interviewer. I think it's a good idea if you felt you had a good rapport (and they would remember you). Hopefully he/she is connected and well-informed about the process.

I don't have any advice for you. However, misery loves company and I was waitlisted today by a school that I loved. It really stings. I hope you get in!

I don't have any advice for you. However, misery loves company and I was waitlisted today by a school that I loved. It really stings. I hope you get in!

Thanks for the company :oops: It put a smile on my face. I hope you get in too. Apparently odds are pretty good at some schools. Good luck to you!

ANYONE ELSE think I should contact the interviewer?

ANYONE ELSE think I should contact the interviewer?

The usual approach is to send a letter of intent telling them you would absolutely attend if accepted and that this is your first choice, and how much you love the school. Sometimes those help, as schools want to accept people who want to come. I personally would deal directly with the dean or an assistant dean of admissions after that rather than the interviewer, unless you have been having multiple ongoing communication with the interviewer (in terms of asking questions, etc) since the interview, and have gotten the vibe that they want to help beyond just giving you a nice interview score.
If you do contact an interviewer, I would be really careful how you do it. Don't take the "I thought you said I was going to get in, what's the deal?" approach. Also bear in mind that adcoms are composed of numerous people, some with much more clout than others, and so it's totally possible that this interview gave you indications he wasn't capable of following through on, but already did all he could. What you don't want to have happen is have him feel accused of not following through, or ineffective, as then he might become entrenched.
So I personally would probably try talking to the dean, followed by a glowing LOI, and leave the interviewer out of it. But I didn't go down this particular road, so take my advice for what it's worth. Good luck.

The usual approach is to send a letter of intent telling them you would absolutely attend if accepted and that this is your first choice, and how much you love the school. Sometimes those help, as schools want to accept people who want to come. I personally would deal directly with the dean or an assistant dean of admissions after that rather than the interviewer, unless you have been having multiple ongoing communication with the interviewer (in terms of asking questions, etc) since the interview, and have gotten the vibe that they want to help beyond just giving you a nice interview score.
If you do contact an interviewer, I would be really careful how you do it. Don't take the "I thought you said I was going to get in, what's the deal?" approach. Also bear in mind that adcoms are composed of numerous people, some with much more clout than others, and so it's totally possible that this interview gave you indications he wasn't capable of following through on, but already did all he could. What you don't want to have happen is have him feel accused of not following through, or ineffective, as then he might become entrenched.
So I personally would probably try talking to the dean, followed by a glowing LOI, and leave the interviewer out of it. But I didn't go down this particular road, so take my advice for what it's worth. Good luck.

Yeah, definitely talk to the dean and other people -- but I consider the interviewer to be your friend. Not so much an influential person, but someone who might have some insight into how you should handle this. The interviewer might know the dean or might know of similar situations and what was successful. He/she might be able to give you an idea of what kind of approach you should take with the dean, and even what kind of a person the dean is and what he/she takes well and what he/she doesn't like. To summarize, I would approach your interivewer for information, but not for, you know, help getting in.

How were you able to get a meeting with the Dean? Did you call his/her secretary and schedule it? I'm thinking about doing the same, although my pre-med advisor is saying that it looks "too aggresive and pushy."

Yeah, definitely talk to the dean and other people -- but I consider the interviewer to be your friend. Not so much an influential person, but someone who might have some insight into how you should handle this. The interviewer might know the dean or might know of similar situations and what was successful. He/she might be able to give you an idea of what kind of approach you should take with the dean, and even what kind of a person the dean is and what he/she takes well and what he/she doesn't like. To summarize, I would approach your interivewer for information, but not for, you know, help getting in.

Yeah that's what I was planning. I think I'll use my interviewer as a last resort, because hopefully the dir. of admissions will be able to give me a good enough idea of how I can help my chances of admission.

How were you able to get a meeting with the Dean? Did you call his/her secretary and schedule it? I'm thinking about doing the same, although my pre-med advisor is saying that it looks "too aggresive and pushy."

I haven't made the appointment yet, but he does answer emails directly and from what I've heard it is possible to meet with him. I don't think it's aggressive if you are nice. Why shouldn't they see your genuine passion and intention of attending their school. Even though you might be able to convey that on paper, they won't know if you're faking it or not until you're standing in front of them and it's oozing out of you. :thumbup: