When you're a resident, how will you grade your students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You guys were lucky. I couldn't even get a day off of my sub-I to bail my mom out of jail. My senior resident reamed me out for slacking because I was on my phone for two days trying to get someone else the money to secure her release.

The chief resident caught wind that my senior resident was being a major ***** to me from the junior residents. I was told by the chief told that her evaluations of me would not affect my grade because she was being so unreasonable on multiple issues.

So I finally got my P grade on my sub-I back right before my applications for residency were supposed to be sent out. The P grade was almost entirely based on that one resident's evaluation, as I had virtually a different attending every day and they barely knew who I was. I contested the grade which held things up for another 1-2 months. I got e-mails from two residency programs asking where my transcripts were because they wouldn't invite me to interview without them. Who knows who many interviews the delay cost me.

Screw medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I plan to give an honest, open evaluation to the student in the middle and at the end of my time with them, and note any improvements or areas that they failed to improve in between the 2 evaluations. On paper, most people are gonna get honors from me. It'll take serious deficits that they fail to correct for me to do otherwise.

You guys were lucky. I couldn't even get a day off of my sub-I to bail my mom out of jail. My senior resident reamed me out for slacking because I was on my phone for two days trying to get someone else the money to secure her release.

The chief resident caught wind that my senior resident was being a major ***** to me from the junior residents. I was told by the chief told that her evaluations of me would not affect my grade because she was being so unreasonable on multiple issues.

So I finally got my P grade on my sub-I back right before my applications for residency were supposed to be sent out. The P grade was almost entirely based on that one resident's evaluation, as I had virtually a different attending every day and they barely knew who I was. I contested the grade which held things up for another 1-2 months. I got e-mails from two residency programs asking where my transcripts were because they wouldn't invite me to interview without them. Who knows who many interviews the delay cost me.

Screw medical school.
Not my Sub-I. I was definitely screwed over during my audition sub-i. I had an interview that weekend and my car broke down. I texted the chief resident like he asked. He didn't tell the attending when he acknowledged what happened. Attending made me do clinic the next day as punishment. Didn't care about the legitimacy of it. Chief resident denied not telling the attending. I was at a loss for words.
I get sub-i is intern.. But come on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I won't change your grade directly over it, but people who bring baked goods at the beginning or end of a rotation without forewarning their co-students really grind my gears.
I love baking. I can't eat a whole cake myself so i bring stuff in. NBD.

So give it to the nurses, or the homeless, or your friends/family.
Depending on the rotation i see my classmates and residents more than my friends and family. It's a cookie, not a bj. Take the cookie, and enjoy, no strings attatched.

Depending on the rotation i see my classmates and residents more than my friends and family. It's a cookie, not a bj. Take the cookie, and enjoy, no strings attatched.
Then give it to your classmates, or give it to residents as being from "all of you" rather than just you. Sorry, I'll eat the cookies gladly and appreciate the gesture, but I'll still wonder if you're a gunner when you show up with baked goods unannounced to your co-students. You (probably) didn't bring cookies to your professor during lectures, why bring it to your supervisor during rounds except because its a convenient way to gain favor? If it isn't about recognition then drop the goods off without taking credit or indicating their source.

Then give it to your classmates, or give it to residents as being from "all of you" rather than just you. Sorry, I'll eat the cookies gladly and appreciate the gesture, but I'll still wonder if you're a gunner when you show up with baked goods unannounced to your co-students. You (probably) didn't bring cookies to your professor during lectures, why bring it to your supervisor during rounds except because its a convenient way to gain favor? If it isn't about recognition then drop the goods off without taking credit or indicating their source.

Because residents are people who work hard, and if we're busting our butts and stop for lunch I'm going to offer everyone at the table cookies, not just students. Or yes, leave a tray in the lounge. What kind of a resident would be swayed by one goodie anyway?

Because residents are people who work hard, and if we're busting our butts and stop for lunch I'm going to offer everyone at the table cookies, not just students. Or yes, leave a tray in the lounge. What kind of a resident would be swayed by one goodie anyway?

Few to none, except when swayed negatively. It doesn't stop people from trying to be suck ups, just like people saying they're interested in a specialty when they are 100%, etc, etc. You can argue around the edges this way or that, but the bottom line is don't look like a suckup regardless of you true intentions because the majority of people ARE trying to suck up.

Yes. If you like baking just bring your stuff in and put it on the communal table in the lounge or wherever. If someone asks you don't have to lie. But if you make a big presentation of it it will feel like you are trying to suck up, which irritates people.

Man, bunch of cynical people here. Moot point i suppose since Third year is over tho i suppose others should take note.

Through out third year residents would buy us lunch, coffee, some of the interns got us sparkling juice to celebrate being done with the rotations. We'd bring in treats to say thank you.

They key is "we" and not "me". By all means bring in stuff as a group, it is appreciated. As you say, people should pay attention because whether we are cynical or not we represent the reality of it.

As far as us buying you stuff, you do free labor for us and we have a job that pays us to do said labor. Plus, my bosses do the same thing to me. P

Reactions: 1 user
As a student who's been a co-rotator with someone that surreptitiously brought in food/gifts/whatever, please don't pull that crap. If you're going to do that at least give a heads up so I can pick something too.

I remember there was another time when there were 4 of us rotating together on a service and even though one person had the idea of bringing food we all went together as a group and helped out in some way. The last couple of days were awesome because we all worked together....

As a student who's been a co-rotator with someone that surreptitiously brought in food/gifts/whatever, please don't pull that crap. If you're going to do that at least give a heads up so I can pick something too.

I remember there was another time when there were 4 of us rotating together on a service and even though one person had the idea of bringing food we all went together as a group and helped out in some way. The last couple of days were awesome because we all worked together....
Last time I did it, I bought coffee and texted my classmates on the rotation it was from all of us. Everyone got credit...
And I had more coffee to drink. lol

Evaluations for faculty and residents actually matter a lot if there is anything negative - especially if the dreaded Professionalism is cited...I've seen residents get in big trouble with their PDs and have heard of negative evals getting brought up when an attending is up for tenure

Makes me feel better about my "5/5, excellent instructor" default. I'd hate to damage someone's career based on some random interactions over the course of a few weeks.

Makes me feel better about my "5/5, excellent instructor" default. I'd hate to damage someone's career based on some random interactions over the course of a few weeks.

I've just been spamming 5/5 too. I do enough clicking as it is and I know that it won't change the bad ones. But I will grade my students properly.

The whole issue of grading someones performance on some sort of arbitrary scale during clinical rotations is so utterly absurd it is a wonder why more people haven't questioned the practice.

The whole issue of grading someones performance on some sort of arbitrary scale during clinical rotations is so utterly absurd it is a wonder why more people haven't questioned the practice.

What's the alternative? Having your whole med school performance be based on standardized tests?

What's the alternative? Having your whole med school performance be based on standardized tests?
Yes...
That doesn't mean that your 3rd/4th year preceptors can't "evaluate" you. I just think it is ridiculous to parse it down into a letter grade, for a variety of reasons.