Whenever you hear someone say...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 10 users
When we implemented our new university hospital it became a requirement that all physicians on staff become faculty. We did lose quite a bit, but obviously the majority stayed. Great guy!

Members don't see this ad :)
You look over those people's credentials:
Residency at northwestern
Residency and fellow at the Mayo Clinic
Fellow from Albert einstein
Residencies from MCW
Fellow from University of Iowa
Residencies from St. Jude's.

And these people were doing it years before any talk of mergers or increased acceptance of DOs.

This is at just 1 of the 141 MD schools in the US.

Reactions: 4 users
Let's just take a moment to bask in the glory that is Dr. JD Polk:
http://www.businessrecord.com/Conte.../Article/A-Closer-Look_-JD-Polk/174/836/60051

Really amazing story and experiences there. It's a testament not only to him but also to the people that supported him. Good on his wife - I can't imagine the things she had to put up with to stay with him through all those crazy escapades (I wouldn't expect many people to put up with me). That's real talk!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Ross D. Zafonte is Earle P. and Ida S. Charlton Professor and Chairman of the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Harvard Medical School. He also serves as chief of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Massachusetts General Hospital, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, as well as Senior Vice President Medical Affairs Research and Education at Spaulding Rehabilitation Network

http://findadoctor.spauldingrehab.org/Details/16?index=1&lastName=zafonte

Reactions: 2 users
Dr. Ross D. Zafonte is Earle P. and Ida S. Charlton Professor and Chairman of the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Harvard Medical School. He also serves as chief of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Massachusetts General Hospital, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, as well as Senior Vice President Medical Affairs Research and Education at Spaulding Rehabilitation Network

http://findadoctor.spauldingrehab.org/Details/16?index=1&lastName=zafonte

Mhmm. And Dr. Parks is a DO grad from KCU and is a cardiologist at MGH. She also teaches cardiology at HMS as well.

Reactions: 1 user
The Dallas County Medical Society just elected a DO as president for 2015! As a native Dallasite, I thought this was interesting enough on a personal level, but apparently DCMS is the second-largest county medical society in the entire nation and has over 7,000 med students, doctors, and residents!

http://www.hsc.unt.edu/news/newsrelease.cfm?ID=1573#.VNO3FlXF9as

This thread just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I can't wait to go to DO school.

Reactions: 7 users
The DO I'm shadowing has been on faculty at the med school here for like 10 years.

So just read about Dr. Polk. The dude is a total stud.

What the heck am I doing with my life haha. I sit there and play video games while dudes like him run the world.

Edit: and don't forget space... The guy also runs space (NASA).

I remember when I interviewed there he went on for like 20 min just introducing himself and going through his CV. When he finished everyone was just like "DAMN! This dude's a boss". Really impressive guy

Yeah, super charismatic and also, somehow, seemingly down-to-earth while listing off his insane accomplishments lol. He was the coolest dean I met on my interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
The Dallas County Medical Society just elected a DO as president for 2015! As a native Dallasite, I thought this was interesting enough on a personal level, but apparently DCMS is the second-largest county medical society in the entire nation and has over 7,000 med students, doctors, and residents!

http://www.hsc.unt.edu/news/newsrelease.cfm?ID=1573#.VNO3FlXF9as

The Travis County Medical Society did the same thing last year with another TCOM grad. And of course, for many, many years, the president of the Texas Medical Board was a TCOM doc.

Donald Graham DO is a neurological spinal surgeon who I got the chance to talk to. He holds one of the first patents for an artificial disk!

Donald Graham DO is a neurological spinal surgeon who I got the chance to talk to. He holds one of the first patents for an artificial disk!
I am confused by his residency and fellowship stuff. I suppose he is a little older, stuff was different back then. But its almost like he did a gen. surg residency and then a neuro fellowship? Never heard of that before.

I am confused by his residency and fellowship stuff. I suppose he is a little older, stuff was different back then. But its almost like he did a gen. surg residency and then a neuro fellowship? Never heard of that before.
As far as I know, he did a one year medical internship, then decided on neurosurgery. I think his neuro residency didn't have an attached 1 year surgical internship so he had to do that separately. He's a bit of an old-timer. His diploma still reads "Doctor of Osteopathy".

Their is a Grenada graduate who is a renown professor of Cardiology at Mayo Clinic. Another one is a Professor at John Hopkins.

This is what happens when ambitious people become DOs (aka a lot of DOs)- we kick the door down on the MD-only club houses.

Reactions: 3 users
Love this thread and love Goro. So much help to us over the years. I've literally been reading and taking Goro's advice for around 3 years and this has helped me get to where I am now.

Reactions: 3 users
This is what happens when ambitious people become DOs (aka a lot of DOs)- we kick the door down on the MD-only club houses.

This post gave me a little giggle :). So true!

Hello all - How likely is it to practice academic medicine if a DO? If, for example, I am interested in FM and Psychiatry (too early for this as I am pre-med) and choose one of those specialties, will a large amount of doors to jobs in academic medicine be closed because of the DO? Is it more the residency/fellowship training that will be looked at? If this crazy dream works out, I always had in my mind (my goal) throughout this pursuit that I would be practicing in an academic setting, however naive that was of me. Thanks for any insight!

Last edited:
Nah...not out of the question. You'll want to go the academic route though. If you are still deciding, shoot for one of the university DO programs like Texas, Michigan, etc. or one of the better matching private schools. Do your rotations in a university setting, eschewing the community hospital sites. Focus on a university residency program. Do research along the way. Look into being a chief resident.