Where can I buy noise cancelling ear muffs (like ones in MCAT centers)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piglet2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to know a good brand for noise cancelling ear muffs so I could study without distractions. I liked the ones in my MCAT testing center... not sure about the brand though. Does anyone have a brand they can recommend? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to Amazon. Look up "noise canceling earmuffs". Read the product reviews. On here, you're going to hear a bunch of different opinions that won't really help you narrow things down. You'll get a better picture by seeing a conglomeration of 1,000 people's opinions on each product, plus you can filter it to your budget.

Reactions: 2 users
Also it should be noted the ones at the testing center both feel like and have the sound cancellation of duct taping two cheese graters to your ears.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also it should be noted the ones at the testing center both feel like and have the sound cancellation of duct taping two cheese graters to your ears.

I'm with this cat, those things sucked in every aspect. I was so glad I brought my own earplugs.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest bringing your own earplugs as well. That way you don't have to guess about the brand/model of earplugs, and can practice with whatever you will actually test with.

I used cheap disposable 3M ones that were individually packaged. Always practiced with them too.

Reactions: 1 users
go to an airport tarmac and ask the guys with the orange wands who guide taxiing airplanes for their ones, they're probably super industrial grade

Reactions: 7 users
It depends on how much you’re willing to spend and how sensitive you are to noise. If you want a relatively cheap option (and wouldn’t necessarily need complete silence), just about any pair of ear muffs made for hearing protection could work. Those are what many children with sensory issues tend to wear.

On the other hand, if money isn’t an issue and you do need absolute silence (I personally am like this), then I’d recommend Bose Quiet Comfort/Control. They have headphones and ear phones that allow you to turn noise cancelation on or off. I had the previous version and they drove me crazy because of the constant white noise sound caused by the noise cancellation. But that may not bother you (and I also don’t know whether the new ones have the same issue). I’ve also heard good things about the studio version of Beats headphones, although I’ve never personally tried them.

go to an airport tarmac and ask the guys with the orange wands who guide taxiing airplanes for their ones, they're probably super industrial grade
Their earmuffs are pretty effective. You'll have to run across the tarmac screaming at the top of your lungs and waving your hands in the air. Don't worry, you'll get their attention.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

cover.png

If you are not pairing earmuffs with faux horse blinders you are not really studying

Reactions: 2 users
Go to Amazon. Look up "noise canceling earmuffs". Read the product reviews. On here, you're going to hear a bunch of different opinions that won't really help you narrow things down. You'll get a better picture by seeing a conglomeration of 1,000 people's opinions on each product, plus you can filter it to your budget.

In addition, when looking at product reviews always run the link through fakespot to take out those fake reviews.

Just go to any hardware/home improvement/ag store and try a pair on.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm with this cat, those things sucked in every aspect. I was so glad I brought my own earplugs.

Didn't know this was allowed! In that case, OP, I highly recommend getting professionally made earplugs. They're fantastic. I wanna say they run about $100-150 but totally worth it.

This isn’t complicated. If it’s just to block out any outside noise while studying then just get a bunch of this small foam ear plugs you roll up and insert in your ears. Dirt cheap. You’re local hardware store should have them.

They should also have over the ear headphone type isolatora though they are big/bulky and probably not as comfortable for a long study session, plus you’d look weird.

The noise canceling headphones like Bose are good at cancelling at constant low freq type sounds (like an AC hum or jet engine roar) but are not good at cancelling out background sounds like people talking, music, etc.

I just want to know a good brand for noise cancelling ear muffs so I could study without distractions. I liked the ones in my MCAT testing center... not sure about the brand though. Does anyone have a brand they can recommend? Thanks.
Amazon. I use earplugs for studying though.