Where can I find a job where I don't do anything?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

exmissionary

This summer I plan on studying for and taking the MCAT. Rather than spend the whole summer (or two months of it) in the Library I was thinking about getting a job where I sit at a desk and don't do anything but study. (ie. Bank Security, no questions to answer, just act as a deturant) Does anyone know of any jobs like this? I figure the longer list I have and the earlier I start, the better chance I have of finding a sweet job. I'm pretty much open to the whole west coast.

Members don't see this ad.

At school I had a work-study job as a university library employee, and I'd say for every hour at "work" I had fewer than 10 minutes of helping patrons, and ~50 minutes of doing homework/cyber-slacking. I think they have some positions for non-students (although those jobs may have more to do). Also doing research often has quite a bit of downtime. Especially in biology when there are often long incubations and what not.
-Roy

Members don't see this ad :)
Security, I once had a job where the shift included staying 12 hours overnight in a car doing nothing but drive arund ever 30mins.

Sperm bank 4 times a day. Kill two birds with one stone.

Security, I once had a job where the shift included staying 12 hours overnight in a car doing nothing but drive arund ever 30mins.

Plus you could get one of those t-shirts that says "SECURITY" in bold yellow letters :D. Another job, if you have IT skills, some of those jobs are pretty low key where you only get a call every now and then to look at something/work on it.
-Roy

Gtown has student guards for the dorms that "made sure" everyone swiped their ID card, and it's a good way to do hw. maybe the school you're at has something like that.

In other words, you want to get paid to study for the MCAT?

4 times?! Seriously? :eek:

I'm glad I'm not a guy...I don't have that kind of time.

Working hard for the money :rolleyes:

I work as a computer lab tech, I've maybe done 20minutes of "work" this semester, the rest of the time I tutor in the lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
This summer I plan on studying for and taking the MCAT. Rather than spend the whole summer (or two months of it) in the Library I was thinking about getting a job where I sit at a desk and don't do anything but study. (ie. Bank Security, no questions to answer, just act as a deturant) Does anyone know of any jobs like this? I figure the longer list I have and the earlier I start, the better chance I have of finding a sweet job. I'm pretty much open to the whole west coast.

Get a library job...it doesn't require that much work.

Get a library job...it doesn't require that much work.

*spits out the water she was just drinking* Bwa? What library are you thinking of?

I worked for my community college library for two years, and while it wasn't always non-stop (it was usually stop-and-go), it _does_ require work. Especially at the beginning of the year, when it really is non-stop and you're understaffed for the volume.

And with the budget cuts, it's only going to get worse...

The "Monitor" position is probably your best bet. College campuses, particularly in cities, tend to have these highly desirable positions in the libraries, dorms, computer labs, and other public areas that are open 24 hours a day. I worked one of these jobs 40 hrs/week last summer and, indeed, got "paid" to study for the MCAT. Especially in an urban area, most of the off-campus apartment buildings have monitors/security as well, who are unoccupied the vast majority of their "working" time. Hope that helps-- good luck with the job search!

I got paid 15 dollars an hour to hold O-chem office hours...no one ever showed up hahaha! Also I worked at a gym training people but I couldn't really study at that one, although it was super easy and enjoyable

I worked/studied in the afternoon. If you can't find a job like you want, there's no shame in actually working an 8 hour shift and then studying. It is hard, but it's possible.

In any regard - library is your best best

Strip club.

I only work 3 nights out of the week. I study in between my two 30 minute sets while the janitor disinfects the pole. :thumbup:

If you're down to move to LA, you could work as an extra on TV or in Films. You can make about $100 per day working as an extra. Most of the time, you're just sitting in a holding room waiting to be called onto the set. You only have to actually do stuff maybe 10% of the time. The rest of the time you could devote to MCAT study. Who knows... you could be at the right place at the right time and get "discovered" :cool:

Who wants to be a doctor when you can play one on TV?

JK ;)

i worked at a country club the summer i was studying for the mcat...i worked in snack shop and the "halfway house", the place golfers went on the course to drink. they didnt care what i did so i studied for most of the day it was great!

"I want something for nothing."

Pretty much what I heard.

I would say forget the job if you can afford it. I always suggest, if you can afford it, to have as little going on in your life as possible while studying for that test. It's too big and just too important. If you make studying your forty hour/week full-time job for two months, you are practically guaranteed to do well.

If you do need some kind of income, than I've always thought serving tables was the best way to make quick cash. If your good and find the right place, you can easily make $150-200 in five hours. Do that two nights a week, live at home, and you'll have plenty of time to study.

Maybe its just me, but I could never stay focused at work trying to studying such vast and relatively complicated material.

If you do need some kind of income, than I've always thought serving tables was the best way to make quick cash. If your good and find the right place, you can easily make $150-200 in five hours. Do that two nights a week, live at home, and you'll have plenty of time to study.

This is a good point, rather than trying to take a job where you can study on the job you can try to find a job that has pretty good cash with low hours (serving/bartending being good examples). If you are willing to mortgage your social life--I assume that's not too unreasonable for someone gearing up for the MCAT--you can work weekends where tips are good and study during the week.

But yeah the MCAT is not too bad if you can really pack in 30 hours/week of studying for ~3months. In my experience the difference between people who do well and do poorly on the MCAT is the commitment to studying. Sure everyone knows a few geniuses who 38+ it with no studying, and everyone knows a few hardcore studiers who bomb it, but these aren't the norm.

And to the naysayers, I've worked quite a few easy jobs in my day :D you just have to know where to look.
-Roy

P.S. the link in tditty's sig is pretty awesome!

I really love this thread. Its informative, interesting, at a few points funny, and at the same time its relaxed - setting pre-medical madness to the side for a few seconds to ponder about things we don't usually get around to thinking about... Thanks for posting everyone. This will now conclude my 35 hours of wakefulness.

I really love this thread. Its informative, interesting, at a few points funny, and at the same time its relaxed - setting pre-medical madness to the side for a few seconds to ponder about things we don't usually get around to thinking about... Thanks for posting everyone. This will now conclude my 35 hours of wakefulness.
The Stig! Which f1 driver are you?

I really love this thread. Its informative, interesting, at a few points funny, and at the same time its relaxed - setting pre-medical madness to the side for a few seconds to ponder about things we don't usually get around to thinking about...

It figures that it's relaxed, it's a bunch of people discussing the merits and mechanisms of getting a "job" where you do no "work" :cool:.
-Roy

the best job in which you can study (notecards possibly books/notes) would be either at a library, park district, or a job that has very early in the morning hours so that the rest of your day can be devoted to studying.....ex. landscaping, umpiring (IHSA or whatever state you are in....games go for minimal 40-50$ if you are a patched umpire) obviously any type of referreing.

to be honest, you should be able to balance a summer job and study for the mcat without having to make much of a sacrifice....you need to learn time management...not necessarily mcat daily cramming. if you want to do well on your mcat, start studying two-three hours a day now so that you are familiar with problems, ideas, and concepts.

the mcat doesnt test wrote memory, it tests your ability to answer a question given a lot of information.

get on your game now like i did and your mcat will be a 35+

cheers

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. Good advice and stuff to act on. Have a great chirstmas!

Limo driver was a great job for me. I spent hours sitting around and had literally tons of time to study. My cousin owned the limo company and I only had to get a chauffeur's permit (not difficult or expensive). I actually ran out of things to study. I made loads of money and met interesting people. It was a great job for an undergraduate/graduate student especially around prom time. Hours worked to study hours ratio was about 1 to 1s. I literally received a $500 tip from a diplomat after driving him to an event and waiting 4 hours. Since I was in DC, it was a sweet job.

Strip club.

I only work 3 nights out of the week. I study in between my two 30 minute sets while the janitor disinfects the pole. :thumbup:

dang, you do private shows? I got this new year gig coming up....:cool:

Strip club.

dont forget VIP $20 a song and all the dolla bills a g string can handle

Professional Exam Proctor.

Someone may have posted this already, but my christmas spirit has been raised too high by hot cider with 'jiggers' (ahem, Jim Beam) in it made by my father, so I am too lazy to search through the post.

GET A RESEARCH JOB!!!

Over the summer when I studied for the MCAT I worked in a lab (as a graduate student). You work about 2 hours the entire 8 hour day. The rest of the time you're waiting on something to stop spinning, or stop incubating, etc. Ample time to study for the MCAT.