Where could you go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scpredent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious,

As a dentist in the Army. Where could you be sent to serve?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious,

As a dentist in the Army. Where could you be sent to serve?
Following a google search, I haven't found any good map that shows only places where we might be stationed. In addition to the larger installations where we do serve, the listings and maps I found typically show smaller National Guard/Reserve bases as well as smaller Army Camps which we do not get stationed at.

Even though there may be bases located all over, the availability or possibility of where you may be stationed depends on if someone is vacating a spot and how many available people are trying to get there. In addition to the new dental officers coming in each summer, there are also the normal rotation of Active Duty dentists that are moving around each year. Sometimes these dentists have recently returned from a deployment, overseas, or another job and have been given a 'follow on' assignment already.

Thus knowing where possible locations are does not necessarily help you. Between January-March of your senior year assignment options are usually given out and discussed for those who choose not to do any post-graduate training.

I was told by a recruiter that "you get to pick where you serve". Is that true? Obviously you would have to choose from the different openings but is that how it works? Do you really get to "pick where you serve"?

I was told by a recruiter that "you get to pick where you serve". Is that true? Obviously you would have to choose from the different openings but is that how it works? Do you really get to "pick where you serve"?

You get to give them your top preferences and they will try to match it if it's available. Nothing is ever guaranteed.