You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
#showerthoughts
I like to call it "Orga"
That sounds like orgo's sexy, Eastern European sister.
Actually the rumor is that orgo stands for or go. This has to do with the difficulty of the course. Meaning, you can try to do organic chem, or go home.
Seriously, this makes no sense to somebody who calls it 'ochem'.
Where ever did the second 'o' come from? Did you guys take orgonic omistry?
![]()
I call it ochem too. My phone confuses orgo with orgy.
I know what you're saying, dont worry you're not alone.I was really expecting a different type of comment in response.
Shouldn't it be Org-y?
Organic Chemistry > Org. Chemistry > Org. istry > Org. try > Org. ry > Orgy?
Organic Chemistry > Org. Chemistry > Org. istry > Org. try > Org. ry > Orgy?
They call it Organic in the south. Has a nice ring to it at timesI hate people calling it orgo.
Call it OChem
They call it Organic in the south. Has a nice ring to it at times
The south is a pretty big place. I go to a school in Texas and we call it orgo as well.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The additional O comes from the original greek word for organic chemistry which is "orgonic chemonorchracy". After IUPAC was formed in England during the turn of the 14th century, the old english word "Organic" was used in lieu of "orgonic" as it mean "from Carbon with many Hydrogen attached with lines". They still kept the abbreviated form of "orgo" but the formal term was changed to "organic chemistry" which translates back to greek as "origin or many tears and career changes".
Last edited:
I call it ochem too. My phone confuses orgo with orgy.
that means you have typed orgy into your phone. hmmmm
man those greeks really were propheticor many tears and career changes
The south is a pretty big place. I go to a school in Texas and we call it orgo as well.
True.... Here's an interesting informal poll
I hate when people call it OChem hahaha. I'm in a green state so it's super jarring when I hear it called otherwise (minus organic, that doesn't sound weird).
This is really interesting. I'm from los angeles but went to school in NE. I called it orgo when I came back home for summer and all my friends were like![]()
True.... Here's an interesting informal poll

Is it just me or the blue looks purple![]()
True.... Here's an interesting informal poll
It does by itself, but not relative to the the red and green on the map, lol.Is it just me or the blue looks purple
*hits blunt*
definitely periwinkleIs it just me or the blue looks purple
Immediate dislike
The south is a pretty big place. I go to a school in Texas and we call it orgo as well.
I attend a Texas school as well, where no one calls it orgo. We refer to it as “Organic” in conversation, or “Ochem” in text.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I attend a Texas school as well, where no one calls it orgo. We refer to it as “Organic” in conversation, or “Ochem” in text.
Texas is a pretty big place too.
Everything's bigger in Texas?
