Where did you have a *great* student EM rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sad to see multiple folks getting burned by rotating at JPS. They were sort of a hometown program for TCOM students (used to match at least one or two students a year), but things have definitely turned the other way. Disappointing to see they're telling students one thing then writing something totally different.

They're going to take a hit when students that have the ability to choose where they audition avoid JPS because they have a rep of burning their rotators on SLOEs. Not super-smart for a newer program that's only regionally-known.

Save your auditions for other bigger-name programs in Texas: UTSW, UT Houston, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Posted anonymously via SDN Away Rotation Review Google Form

Loma Linda University Health Education Consortium

Type of Elective: EM Clerkship/Sub-Internship
SLOE Experience: Sent SLOE in timely manner
Required exam: SAEM exam
Interview offered during rotation: Yes
Would you recommend this rotation to others: Yes

Comments on rotation experience:

Didactics - weekly on wednesday. Faculty amazing. Residents more amazing. 12-14 shifts (can't remember). You present to the residents first, get the plan in motion, get the oral presentation down, then give your oral presentation to the attending. Let them know what your plan is and they'll modify as necessary. Great great great rotation.

Posted by @evanffx via SDN Away Rotation Review Google Form

Albany Medical Center

Required exam: None

Overall very good, autonomous, residents were friendly and invited you out and treated you like part of the team.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

University of Wisconsin

Very academic and strong program. The program is only 10 years old but all the faculty was interested in teaching and working with you. They gave you a phone to use for the rotation to make calls. It did feel more like a clerkship than an advanced elective and there was time spent not really taking ownership of patients due to the ED flow and residents. The residents were amazing to work with overall though and I would recommend the rotation strongly.

Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital (Dartmouth)

SLOE Experience: Sent SLOE considerably late
Required exam:
NBME exam
Interview offered during rotation: No, but interview is guaranteed to rotators
Would you recommend this rotation to others: No

Did not send a SLOE until months after the rotation. The late SLOE cost possible interviews and I had to scramble for another SLOE while waiting into November.

Not to discredit a negative evaluation, but is it possible all of these JPS reviews are from the same individual?

Not to discredit a negative evaluation, but is it possible all of these JPS reviews are from the same individual?

-I have not submitted an official review of JPS, but I did rotate there and had a similar experience. Was getting good feedback throughout month, mid rotation feedback all positive, home school eval VERY positive, yet very average to below average SLOE.

Reactions: 1 users

Christiana Care Health Service

Interview offered during rotation: No, and interview is not guaranteed to rotators
Would you recommend this rotation to others:
Yes

Phenomenal. Tons of autonomy on non A/B shifts (highest acuity side of which you only work a few shifts anyway.) Ample teaching from residents and faculty. About 60/40 split between Newark and Wilmington hospitals. Very much a community residency, though downtown Wilmington bordering on a pseudo-county experience. 1 - 2 dedicated teaching shifts with PGY-3 or EM-IM PGY-3. Dr. Levine (the PD) is superb, full of energy, and loves mentoring. Will meet with you readily during your rotation to talk shop about applying EM, where to apply, etc. All of the residents are incredibly cool, down-to-earth people who know their ****. Very impressed by PGY-3s. Working with EM-IM residents is also a huge plus. Mid-rotation feedback to see where you're at, with frank discussion about your performance. Admittedly, they are stingy with honors and top 10% SLOEs because they have so many rotators. Regardless, this program is known on the east coast as a powerhouse, and a SLOE here will carry you forward.

Orlando Regional Medical Center

Great subI. Dedicated teaching resident for you and one other rotating student to work with. Because you have a teaching resident geared toward teaching you whatever you want to learn you get to do a lot of procedures if you want. I did 2 solo central lines, 3 lumbar punctures, and as many i&d and sutures as I wanted. Most subi rotating students were able to get at least 1 central line. Program emphasizes integrated peds em shifts so you do have 5 peds shift throughout the month. Friendly residents who offer to teach without being asked. You have a 15 minute presentation at the end. Plenty of time over the month to become involved with the research taking place at ORMC especially since there is no required exam. Didactics are for 2.5 hrs tuesday and thursday. Residents are awesome and buy you food. Also there is a physician lounge with breakfast and lunch M-F with free food.

Memphis - University of Tennessee College of Medicine

Required exam:
SAEM exam
Interview offered during rotation: No, and interview is not guaranteed to rotators

16 8-hour shifts, lots of procedures

Grand Strand Regional Medical Center - Myrtle Beach, SC

SLOE Experience: Sent SLOE in a timely manner
Required exam: Challenger
Interview offered during rotation: Rotated before application cycle, but received interview shortly after applications were sent

Awesome residents, 1 on 1 with faculty, 18 12 hour shifts.

(Note from @surely - Anyone else heard of this Challenger exam?)

Metro Health Hospital in Wyoming, Michigan

SLOE Experience: Does NOT provide SLOEs
Required exam:
None

Weekly didactics, 4 hours each. 12-13 shifts per month.

University of Massachusetts (UMass, UMMS)

Nice ed, clean. Limited procedures. Pushed hard for central lines but didn't fly. Sutured a couple lacs, others got to do a lines. No tubes for anyone. Good exposure, autonomous, expected to truly carry patients and call the necessary consults. Residents were nice enough but with ~half of the attendings never felt truly inviting. Chalked it up to being from the south and different culture. End of shift evals and feedback. Clerkship director did not want to sit down and go over evals for mid clerkship feedback bc it would require going around and collecting all the evals. Blindsided with low tier sloe, never given an indication or any real negative feedback that would indicate why low tier ranking.

Members don't see this ad :)

Brown University

Required exam: Home written exam
Would you recommend this rotation to others: A pretty strong rotation clinically and an awesome program, but would advise picking a place that guarantees an interview.

Didactic heavy rotation, in addition to conference, usually 1.5 hours of extra med student didactics. Lots of Sim for 1 month rotation. 14 8+1 hour shifts over the course of the month, 1 peds shift at hasbro, 1 critical care shift, 1 trauma shift, 2 nights, 2-4 shifts at the community hospital. ED is divided in pods, report to either the 4th year or the attending depending on which pod you work in. A true sub-I experience, expected to see ~6 patients per shift. I didn't get a ton procedures, but others got lines and have heard of students getting chest tubes. The department is a little uptight, they make students wear dress clothes and white coats - although will let you wear scrubs for critical care and trauma shifts. Of particular note, they do not interview all of their rotators. From my understanding they only interview those who receive top 1/3 SLOE or above. SLOE took about 5 weeks to be uploaded.

University of Nevada Las Vegas School of Medicine (UNLV)

Work with 2nd and 3rd year residents. 12 shifts, 12 hours each. Shifts include peds EM and trauma (trauma is separate operation there). Super busy ER, lots of underserved. Was allowed to see the patients in the psych area. Got a tube, and several other miscellaneous procedures. Was impressed by even 2nd year residents' acumen. Occasionally presented to attendings but mainly residents.

(Editorial to MS3s from @surely : While some people "don't mind" 12-hour shifts, most applicants end up deciding that 12's are not a great way to spend residency. I would caution you against doing an Away at an institution that does all 12's all 3 years, because you want your Away rotation to be at a program you could see yourself ranking highly. Alternately, if you think you might like 12's, you should do an Away at an institution that does 12's so you can at least get a month-long taste of what that's like. Keep in mind that doing 12 12-hour shifts as an ED tourist is very different from 18 12-hour shifts as an EM resident, and that there are some programs that offer the much more humane 18 9-hour shift schedule.)

University of Kentucky

One of the best experiences of medical school, definitely wasn't expecting this! The more I reflect on this experience while I write this, the more tempted I am to rank UK #1 for residency - I was really happy my whole time there.

First of all, everyone is very nice and funny and relatable, and they want you involved. Felt like I was part of the team, not just a student. The residents are so easy to work with and fun to be around, joking and having a good time. Helped reduce fractures, did multiple paracenteses, got a chest tube. Other students got intubations.

The ED is enormous, pretty new, and very attractive - Looks like it belongs on TV. Laid out so that medically critical patients are right next to the semi-enclosed doc charting area, in 6(?) critical care beds, trauma patients are the next pod over, and everyone else is either in their own room with a door or a hallway bed. Big ED Obs unit directly next to the ED, can use for extra space as needed. Peds ED is huge (25 beds?) and directly next to the adult ED.

Lots of ultrasound. High volume place with a sick population - It was #4 in the country for acuity when I was there, recently heard through the med student grapevine it increased to #1, not sure how accurate that is. Lots of trauma, including weird farm crush injuries, but not SO much trauma that it gets in the way of the medically sick patients. You also get to do a shift or two at their county hospital (Good Sam) about a mile away, working 1-on-1 with the attendings. The one I worked with was one of my favorite people in all of medical school. (Good Sam might actually be community... I can't remember... but the patients I cared for seemed to be more on the uninsured side of the spectrum).

Lots of energetic faculty, seemed to be skewed a little younger, no concerns about "old school" attitudes. The faculty love talking about the program at UK and comparing it to places they did their residencies, and I got some legitimately helpful advising out of those conversations - while just shooting the **** and getting to know everyone. Several of them are also involved in FOAM - Dr. Sam Ghali's twitter (Sam Ghali (@EM_RESUS) | Twitter) has gotten a shout out on here before in the "effed up shops" thread, pointing out the insane acuity he sees. Dr. Jacob Avila runs 5minsono.com. Dr. Matt Dawson is the co-creator of ultrasoundpodcast.com. Dr. Rob Rogers runs something called Medutopia, has a huge interest in developing medical educators, does a lot of podcasting (rob rogers (@EM_Educator) | Twitter). One of their aPDs, Dr. Jonathan Bronner, is involved in ALiEMU education design leadership. Oh and their former PD (still around, just not PD) Dr. Doty is the president of CORD as well as being a generally great human being. I'm sure I'm missing some people, because I'm not a home student, but I was really impressed with this group! None of their FOAM stuff would matter to me if they weren't great to work with, but they all were.

Nuts and bolts stuff for the clerkship: Dr. Rebecca Bowers is the clerkship director, and is awesome, as is the course coordinator Di. I think I did 14 or 15 shifts. The only real assignment is a case presentation at the end - 15 minute PowerPoint where you work through a case and do some teaching. No required patient/procedure tracking or required notewriting!!! Paper evaluation sheets at the end of each shift either done by residents or attendings, all of whom were happy to give feedback. You have to take the SAEM test and score >~90 for honors, unless they change it for next year. Didactics are above-average engaging with some faculty lectures, some resident-led lectures, and small-group oral boards prep (you rotate through 3 cases and get key learning points at the end). The turn-around time for the SLOE was very fast, and while I haven't read it, I've been told by interviewers that it paints me in a good light. Lexington is a great mid-sized city with beautiful outdoors but also fun places to eat, drink, see live music, whatever.

Full disclosure of possible downsides: The parking garage is about 3/4ths of a mile away from the ED, all outside, and costs something like $30 for the month. They use the Sunrise EMR, not Epic, but it wasn't that bad (students can't put in orders so no experience there, but can help write notes and get feedback). Kentucky's malpractice environment is worse than a lot of places in the country.

All in all, strongly encourage you to do an Away there. This place is going to be a big name in EM before long.

I rotated here as well and this person wrote an awesome summary so no real need to repeat it. Basically really great program, loved my month there. They also let you staff a couple shifts in the peds ED which is a good experience as well. The residents are great and open to teaching. I got my first intubation here, several paracentesis, and many laceration repairs including a complex one that Dr Doty wanted us to consult surgery for to have them fix it.

Great academic teaching hospital experience. They have a large referral/catchment area so patients come from several hours away to get care here. Faculty are amazing and will take the time to discuss the workup of a patient with you even if they're busy -Dr Bronner did this with me and it was really valuable because it was my first ED rotation so I didn't quite know what I was doing.

Highly recommend this rotation

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Metro Health Hospital in Wyoming, MI

SLOE Experience: Does NOT provide SLOEs
Required exam:
None

Very little teaching done by either attendings or residents. Very "move the meat" and sink or swim type residency. Attendings and residents compete for patients and medical students have to beat both of these to the door to have any meaningful patient interaction above shadowing. Also very little computer/table space for residents, let alone medical students which made keeping track of patients difficult. They schedule multiple medical students for each shift so at any given time the rotating students are stuck figuring out what residents/attending they will work with. Little opportunity for procedures. Didactics are 4 hours per week, primarily resident run, occasionally a faculty member will show up to give a lecture

Saint Louis University

Interview offered during rotation:
Yes

12 9-hr shifts (1 of which is a "procedural shift"). Didactics one morning/week. 1 Case presentation at the end of the clerkship. Lots of autonomy - residents are great and will let you pickup basically any patient you want. You can do procedures, write notes, manage your own patients - basically function as an intern who just can't order anything.

Shifts are fastpaced. Lots of sick patients (mostly due to a largely indigent patient mix), ED feels like a constant degree of controlled chaos, Department seems to have a pretty good relationship with most consultants. You see a lot, and do a lot.

I personally loved this rotation - faculty is dedicated to teaching, residents are happy, STL is a fun town. LOTS of trauma - trauma bays are basically turning over nonstop, Trauma team barely ever leaves the department. I felt like I learned more and got to do more here than on any of my previous aways.

John H Stroger Hospital of Cook County

No, and interview is not guaranteed to rotators

14 x 8hr shifts, mix of day, swing and night. Coordinator works with you to organize your schedule. Very sick under/uninsured population. ED is always busy. Rotate through red (high acuity), blue (undifferentiated abd pain, prisoners, psych) and green (fast track, ortho, asthma). You are the primary provider and you staff with attendings. Can order anything except meds without an attending's cosign. Can also see as many patients as you want. I felt like I was truly an important member of the team and really helped the ED move. Students can participate in resuscitations via compressions, pulse check, sometimes ultrasound. Residents host a social during your rotation. Once weekly didactics that are encouraged, but not absolutely mandatory (excused if you are coming off a night shift). Required EBM project, which is actually very low-key and only supposed to be a 5min presentation of any EM topic. No exam for visiting students. PD and APDs are amazing people!! No exposure to Trauma ED, so don't expect to any of the knife and gun club legend that is Cook County.

HealthPartners Institute for Education and Research/Regions Hospital

Required exam: The University of Minnesota does its own exam for all students taking advanced EM.
Interview offered during rotation: Not sure (home institution, so they interview all UMN students, but not sure of away rotators).

Faculty and residents are amazing. Definitely a family vibe. Their PD, Dr. Cullen Hegarty, will take the time to sit down with you and go over your application (scores/grades/extracurriculars) and map out the number of places you should apply to. He is for real amazing, and you can tell he really cares about his residents. I got to do a lot of lac repairs and other smaller procedures - no intubations or chest tubes. Was able to ultrasound as much as I wanted. Present your patients to staff if you are there on an advanced EM rotation (equivalent of an away rotation for those not at the U for school). The residents teach weekly didactics, and they all seemed very interested in teaching. 13 shifts, with one being an EMS shift. SIM cases one day early in the rotation. Weekly education days on Thursday mornings. I was able to pick up as many patients as I felt comfortable with - I probably managed 2 at a time on an average shift, and they are definitely more impressed with the way you manage your patients, as compared to number you are carrying. Call your own consults, and they will love you. Overall, great experience! SLOE was in before ERAS submission date.

Denver Health Medical Center

Interview offered during rotation: Yes, but I heard that if you rotated before August that interviews were not offered at the time of the rotation.
Would you recommend this rotation to others: ONLY IF YOU ARE A HARD WORKER AND WILLING TO WORK YOUR ASS OFF (also this holds true in general for considering Denver for residency).

Let me start off with this - DENVER IS NOT A MALIGNANT PROGRAM. Unless you consider expecting their medical students and residents to work hard, then okay, but that's not what malignant is. I loved this rotation, and I got a HP (Hs on my other EM rotations). I worked extremely hard for the 4 weeks I was there - 16 shifts (11 at Denver Health, including 3 shifts in their PEDS ED, and 5 at the University hospital), and I learned a **** ton. The residents are badass, and once you prove yourself (depending on the resident of course) they will let you do tons of procedures. I did ultrasounds on my patients and the trauma patients (bonus points if you bring the US to the patient room and set it up), got an intubation, probably did 1-3 lac repairs per shift, did my first LP, etc. One con is that I rarely worked with attendings, but honestly the residents were so cool that I didn't care. I definitely had to be proactive about asking residents for feedback at the end of shifts, as well as reminding them in a non-nagging way to complete my online feedback for grading/SLOE purposes. Student didactics were good - a lot of case based sessions with residents, and their weekly resident didactics were interesting. I know that people have been killed on their SLOEs from Denver in the past and present, but if you are willing to put in the hard work (circling back with your patients for re-checks, communicating with nursing staff, calling your own consults, etc - basically being an intern) as well as being an overall cool person (one resident gave me feedback that I was a "hard worker, and in a cool way, not an annoying overachiever way") THIS IS THE ROTATION FOR YOU. If you want to scrape by for 4 weeks and don't want to work hard, then yeah not the place for you (to rotate at or to do residency at to be honest).

Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science (Rochester)

Interview offered during rotation: No, and interview is not guaranteed to rotators.

Mayo culture is super strong, everyone is really working with the best interest of the patient in mind. Around 13 8+1 shifts. Weird orientation where they teach you to draw blood in the morning and take you on an urinary catheterization shift (you literally spend the afternoon putting foleys). You have shifts on different pods. Some shifts with an intern, chief and attending. Other shifts with PA and attending. You are supposed to present your cases to the chief and to the attendings. Everyone is super nice and focused on teaching so you do feel as part of the team and that you're contributing to the care of your patients. The PAs are great and will help you as well. Mayo's catchment area is gigantic. You will see the bread and butter, intoxications, blunt trauma, and super complex patients. You will see weird Minnesota farming/outdoors accidents. The resuscitations are one of the most organized and beautiful things I've ever seen. You might not even realize a resus is going on if you're not involved. You're expected to just observe during the resus, but if you are able to make yourself useful they'll be happy to let you help. You will have plenty of US machines and people willing to teach you how to use them. There's two sim sessions at their lab. You will have a procedure card that is pretty easy to complete. Mayo is a leader in hospital operations, so you won't need to worry about overcrowding or lack of resources. You will be able to focus on learning and taking care of your patients. They're moving to Epic in 2018. The residents, faculty and support staff are extremely nice and great to work with. The clerkship director is a great teacher and will be available to help you with what you need. The PD is really nice and will make room on his schedule to meet with you if you want.

Hennepin County Medical Center

SLOE Experience: SLOE was not sent considerably late (only way to show to the left that it wasn't in timely manner), but it was submitted like ~2 weeks after ERAS submission
Required exam: I think they might have switched to using the SAEM exam this academic year, but I am not 100% sure about that.
Interview offered during rotation: Home institution, so I did not interview on the rotation. Had a friend from another med school who rotated in July and he had to come back to MN to interview. I think that August rotators were able to interview while there, but not certain.

12 8 hour shifts + 1 EMS shift. In the ED, if you are in Team Center B you record all STAB cases, which can get tiring when there is one after another (and it is hard to have your Pit Boss evaluate you when you are gone for 3/4 of the shift recording), but as a recorder you get to watch the Pit Bosses rock the F out of critical care. In the STAB room they do things like TEE during cardiac arrest, as well as have all the scopes/ultrasounds/airway tools you could ever dream of. When you are in Team Center A and B (when not recording) you present to the Pit Boss in that area. When you are in the PEDS Team Center C you present directly to attendings. As a student, presented to Pit Bosses (third years). I had infrequent interaction with the attendings on shift when you are in TCA or TCB, but I really enjoyed working with the residents, so that didn't really matter from my perspective. Tons of lac repairs, and I probably used ultrasound 2-4 times per shift. If you are proactive (re-check patients after interventions, call your own consults, update patients and family when imaging comes back, update your Pit Boss when labs and imaging come back, etc) you will get great feedback and a great SLOE (at least I think so, but obviously I haven't seen my SLOE haha). STAB conference and resident lectures on Thursday mornings. As a student, STAB conference was life changing to go to (you know you are an EM nerd when the previous sentence comes out of your mouth, but so true) - the Pit Bosses present STAB cases from the week before: EMS is there to quickly talk about pre-hospital in about 10-20% of the cases, Pit Boss breaks down the ED course and their thought process, a badass radiologist (seriously, he is fabulous) goes through imaging from the cases, and they present pertinent learning points. Student didactics are Tuesday mornings with staff/residents, and they were very interested in teaching. There is a mid-rotation feedback session where you are able to see your shift scores and comments up to that point.

SLOE was not sent considerably late (only way to show to the left that it wasn't in timely manner), but it was submitted like ~2 weeks after ERAS submission. I am not sure if this normally happens, or if it just happened this year. Also, not sure if they are on VSAS, as this is my home institution, but I feel like I have heard that they do their own application?

So basically the 4th year med students at Hennepin spend 3/4 of their shifts working as a glorified scribe?

Sounds like a great learning experience.

Denver Health Medical Center

Interview offered during rotation: Yes, but I heard that if you rotated before August that interviews were not offered at the time of the rotation.
Would you recommend this rotation to others: ONLY IF YOU ARE A HARD WORKER AND WILLING TO WORK YOUR ASS OFF (also this holds true in general for considering Denver for residency).

Let me start off with this - DENVER IS NOT A MALIGNANT PROGRAM. Unless you consider expecting their medical students and residents to work hard, then okay, but that's not what malignant is. I loved this rotation, and I got a HP (Hs on my other EM rotations). I worked extremely hard for the 4 weeks I was there - 16 shifts (11 at Denver Health, including 3 shifts in their PEDS ED, and 5 at the University hospital), and I learned a **** ton. The residents are badass, and once you prove yourself (depending on the resident of course) they will let you do tons of procedures. I did ultrasounds on my patients and the trauma patients (bonus points if you bring the US to the patient room and set it up), got an intubation, probably did 1-3 lac repairs per shift, did my first LP, etc. One con is that I rarely worked with attendings, but honestly the residents were so cool that I didn't care. I definitely had to be proactive about asking residents for feedback at the end of shifts, as well as reminding them in a non-nagging way to complete my online feedback for grading/SLOE purposes. Student didactics were good - a lot of case based sessions with residents, and their weekly resident didactics were interesting. I know that people have been killed on their SLOEs from Denver in the past and present, but if you are willing to put in the hard work (circling back with your patients for re-checks, communicating with nursing staff, calling your own consults, etc - basically being an intern) as well as being an overall cool person (one resident gave me feedback that I was a "hard worker, and in a cool way, not an annoying overachiever way") THIS IS THE ROTATION FOR YOU. If you want to scrape by for 4 weeks and don't want to work hard, then yeah not the place for you (to rotate at or to do residency at to be honest).

Uhhh... I'm not sure having to "WORK YOUR ASS OFF" or "worked extremely hard for the 4 weeks" to come out with a HP is worth it. Especially when you consider that you could go somewhere else, work more comfortably, and come out with Honors and top 10% SLOE.

Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

Required exam: NBME exam

Awesome experience. Rotators truly function as interns, lots of autonomy. Residents very willing to support you, put in orders etc. Award honors to a decent number of rotators (I think over a third). Long commute to Elmhurst, but the experience there is pretty cool. 14, 8 hr shifts over the course of the month, with some didactic days. Schedule changes are done very easily, all through a Google doc that is accessible to the rotators, so it was very flexible.

Emory University

Required exam:
SAEM exam

13 shifts: 3 overnight, 3 PEDs, 3 Trauma (you could combine overnight and Peds or Overnight and trauma so that you got more time in the other EDs or so you could get overnight trauma at Grady). The program is strong, the residents are friendly and instructive and willing to have you do whatever you want. You work paired with an attending and for the most part report straight to one of them. You can also work with an upper level resident but you do have face time with an attending every shift. You are assigned one attending who you will have a few shifts with so that they can have some continuity to do your SLOE. They let you get your hands dirty, do as much as you feel comfortable with, and teach rather well. They also get you in on SIMS and procedure labs to meet the residents and whatnot. The didactics with residents was strong as well.

Cons: The Clerkship director is not the best in terms of teaching and is pretty hands off. The didactics that they have specific to medical students was not very helpful or useful. The shift schedule and general organization of the rotation was kind of a mess. It was rather frustruating dealing with the administrative aspects of this rotation. In figuring out the schedule they put 17 (yes we had 17 medical students on the rotation) of us in a room and said figure out the schedule among yourselves. Also, Georgia is a Car state. The public transportation is not really useful for getting to the hospitals that you have to go to. Either rent a car or plan on using alot of uber.

Bottom line: Strong clinical training and experience and you get an interview out of it. Plus Grady is an experience you won't get most other places. Mix of academic and county experience as well from Emory's main hospital and Grady.

University of Kansas School of Medicine

Required exam: In-house exam that was poorly written

15-16ish shifts of 9 hours over the course of 4 weeks plus 3 hours of didactics on Wednesday mornings. Work primarily teamed with a 3rd year resident who you usually present to (occasionally attendings). 3rd years give feedback to you after every shift, as well as record any procedures that you do. I was the only student on for each shift that I worked which helped increase my shot at procedures. Faculty and residents were very fun and approachable (with the occasional crabby attending). Was very impressed with how the outgoing third year residents were looking to give m4s/off-service interns shots at procedures (in an excited educational way, not out of laziness). This led me to get many lac repairs, a couple tubes, an LP, paracentesis. That being said, KUMC is much more an academic (cancer, missed dialysis, weird dzs) than a trauma center (Truman gets much more trauma) but still got to see some good acute stuff. Required to give a 10 minute presentation on a pt/topic of your choice at the end of the rotation and take an exam written by the clerkship director.

University of New Mexico

14-15 x 9 hour shifts with 6 hours of didactics weekly (3 for M4s, 3 at resident conference with lunch provided). Amazing faculty and residents who were engaging and gave feedback to through online submission after each shift. Who you report to was resident/attending dependent, which occasionally led to confusion during busy times and needing orders co-signed, but worked well overall. Lots of trauma and acute patients (get to see first-hand through 10 hour ED resuscitation unit shift which is incredible) gives opportunity for many procedures. I had an art line, IOs, many lac repairs, paracentesis, lots of I&Ds and had co-rotators get similar plus the occasional central line and intubation. Several Spanish-speaking patients, but interpreters were always readily available. No test required as part of rotation, but must complete an outside the main ED experience (community hospital, ICU, EMS, Tox rounds, US rounds). Fun simulation teaching as part of didactics. Residents invited rotators to many social events. Opportunity to meet with clerkship director during rotation to discuss SLOE during the month.

Highland / Alameda Health System

No, but rotation takes place of the interview (interview is waived)

Great autonomy - you pick up patients independently and decide whether to present to attending or senior resident. I didn't get many procedures but I think this was just chance, I expect residents would have let me if my patients required them. Plenty of interesting/sick medical patients. Team is close knit and made me feel included. GI rounds every shift for food and teaching. Education is definitely the priority here. Cons were students are not involved in traumas, you can only watch. 16 8-hour shifts plus an EMS ridealong. Nights are blocked in a row.

Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

Required exam: Sinai's own exam

LOVED this program. The faculty and staff are AMAZING. They are so supportive, willing to teach, and not an ounce of meanness to them. You get considerable amount of autonomy. 14, 8 hour shifts. The only negative was the commute to Elmhurst, but that hospital is GEM. I have seen so many crazy things at that hospital that it is a fabulous place to train. The residents are phenomenal! Hands down, one of the best programs in the country. The test at the end was the program's own. It was a little strange, but just get through it. ~20% of rotators get Honors.

New York Presbyterian Hospital

Yes

2 weeks Cornell, 2 weeks Columbia. 8 hour shifts (14 total I think?), including 1 triage, 1 EMS, 1 peds ED, 1 urgent care shift. Excellent didactics and sim. Very nice residents. Most attendings were friendly. Students present directly to attendings so you don't really work with residents. When attendings are overwhelmed, they wont let you pick up any more patients so you'll just hang around. Peds ED shift is 100% shadowing. Must complete a project at the end.

Southern Illinois University School of Medicine

Required exam: Sim case at the end of the rotation which is graded. Mine was a mega code with intubation.
Interview offered during rotation: No interview during the rotation, I received an interview but they never said if it was guaranteed

Faculty was nice, McDowell is a great educator. Residents were very nice and wanted to teach. Forget total number of shifts, but felt like I worked a lot. You will not put in orders and aren't required to write notes, however they said if you have time where you are sitting around, you should write student notes and aim for 2 student notes a shift. You do weekly sim cases and also attend resident conference. Springfield sucks.

Washington University/B-JH/SLCH Consortium

Required exam: In house exam, which is actually hard

Faculty were not all interested in teaching, only some were. Residents were good but also less interested in teaching than my other rotations. Was able to do procedures as well as intubate. Very strong trauma exposure. Attend resident conference weekly, and their didactics are very strong. About 4 shifts/week.

Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School

Would you recommend this rotation to others: Newark is not the nicest town. But if you're interested in working in a resource poor county hospital then yes absolutely. Great people and interesting pathology. New PD trained at Cook County so my SLOE from him carried a fair bit of weight (mentioned a few times on the trail)

- Didactics: Wednesday morning. Mix of staff and PGY4s. Mix of standard PPT and more interactive sessions
- Faculty: new clerkship director this year-really great. Teaching during shift depends on staff
- Procedures: Lacs and I&Ds are yours. I personally helped with a chest tube (don't know how common that is) and did 2 ABGs. One shift dedicated to PIVs which I really enjoyed and am no longer scared to do them.
- Shifts: 14 eight hour shifts + 1 twelve hour EMS ride along (schedule is made during orientation by the students)
- Went to journal club, didactics, and hung out with the residents after shift

Presence Resurrection Medical Center

Very nice residents and cool, young attendings interested in teaching and letting students be hands-on. Students participated in all codes, did reductions, lac repairs, I&Ds, and helped with central lines and intubations. The nursing staff were some of the friendliest I have ever met. Students work 12 eight hour shifts at either Resurrection or St. Francis, with one crossover shift at the other location so you get to see both, plus a teaching shift with a senior. Students attend weekly didactics and have some extra simulation time. They also give you a textbook written by some of the faculty. The population at Res is largely very sick elderly nursing home patients while St. Francis is a lot of elderly mixed with a good amount of blunt and penetrating trauma plus a surprising amount of sick kids despite not being a peds hospital. The only downside was that it was a little difficult getting to the two locations via public transportation (it requires a couple train and bus transfers so it takes a while) and taking the train alone at night when you have a late shift is a little sketchy, so I spent a ton of money on Ubers that month. Having a car would have been much easier. Application was done through email, not VSAS.

University of Florida

Very laid back rotation. Not a ton expected from students. You generally go see whatever interests you and informally present to upper level residents or attendings. Don't have to write notes or put in orders to be cosigned. Residents taught a good bit if I asked questions. A surprising amount of one-on-one time with attendings to talk about medicine, life, jokes, etc. 13 ED shifts (8 hour shifts), 1 EMS shift, 1 wilderness medicine day in a state park. Once per week in the sim center.

Los Angeles County-Harbor-UCLA Medical Center

Yes

UCLA Harbor was a wonderful experience for me because expectations were clear, and residents & attending physicians were approachable, and they focused on teaching. For instance, one attending physician basically put his half of the department on pause for 20 minutes to teach a resident having difficulty with a central line. Each shift starts and ends with an hour-long sign out & teaching session in a separate room, which I liked because it ensures the whole team is on the same page.

We were assigned 15 (9-11 hour long) shifts over the month, which included an overnight or two, 1 Peds EM shift, 1 EMS ride-along, & 1 nursing shift. We were able to switch with anyone so long as we didn't violate duty hours. Each shift requires a resident and an attending physician evaluation. SLOEs are compiled by Dr. Pedigo from the daily evaluations. I think he gives most people Honors (so H doesn't mean much), and they distinguish rotators based on top 10%, top 1/3, middle 1/3, bottom 1/3.

Dr. Pedigo outlines expectations at the beginning, and he's readily approachable throughout the rotation. He provides you with specific feedback from your evaluations when asked, and he gives you specific comments from your reviewers. He will be very candid about your numbers and how you match up compared to other applicants, which was a welcome change from my home advisor who wasn't up front, but it was also sobering to hear his evaluation of me.

Students presented to upper-level residents & attending physicians, sometimes separately, sometimes together. Residents often looked for ways to get students involved, whether through discussing interesting cases, doing procedures or helping out on traumas. Expectations varied somewhat from upper-level to upper-level and from physician to physician, which I found to be true of my other EM rotations.

This very much a county hospital with a large number of Spanish-speaking patients (maybe 1/4-1/3, stat check please). There's a good mix of medically complicated & trauma patients. The ancillary staff was very helpful and happy, including nurses, & PA's. It seems the ED has a good working relationship with other specialties, eg. a trauma surgery attending once talked me through an arteriole ligation, which wouldn't happen at my home institution.

I felt like I had a productive month, I got to learn, and I had the chance to get very involved. In all, I really enjoyed my month at UCLA Harbor and would highly recommend it.

Yale-New Haven Medical Center

No interview during the rotation; I was offered an interview during the regular interview season but not sure if it's guaranteed.

Great rotation. They did a lot of teaching outside the ED (sim, ultrasound review, conference). Attending and residents were all super nice and welcoming. No exam, which was nice because you can focus on learning what you want to learn rather than studying for a test. They hit the sweet spot with number of shifts so that it was definitely a busy month but I wasn't really overworked.

Can someone tell me their experiences about their ER auditions /rotations at these hospitals:

Henry Ford Macomb
McLaren Macomb
McLaren Oakland
St. John Providence
Botsford
St. Mary Mercy Hospital
Garden City Hospital
DMC Huron Valley Sinai

Thank you

I rotated at St. Mary's Mercy for an audition rotation. I have to say, it was an excellent rotation. They have a lot of students rotating through there, but you get a lot of face time with faculty and with the residents, all of whom were great teachers and were willing to help out at all times. Residents would often come grab you if there are any procedures, even if you're not working with them directly. And you get a ton of procedures. They encourage you to make your own assessment and plan, and give you feedback on what to change for the future/what to look for. At the end of each shift you get feedback from the resident as well as the attending. The didactics are very well run, faculty has embraced the FOAM world, and they even have their own podcast which is a good listen. The faculty are all up to date on current practices and all practice EBM. Also helps that the nursing and support staff are very helpful too. I left the rotation very impressed needless to say. They let you be involved as you want to be, and there are plenty of opportunities to shine.

Posted by MarcelMonkey via SDN Away Rotation Review Google Form

University of Louisville

PD is very chill. Residents all seem happy. They have ALOT of trauma and pathology. They let you do alot - tubes, IOs, ABGs, stitching, splints. More autonomy here than pretty much anywhere. The ED is run by the residents and your eval forms are filled out by them. The PD uses them to write your SLOE. So its on you to get to know the faculty. They tooke about 3 weeks to get the SLOE uploaded and the NBME results took 6 weeks (ridiculous).

Florida Hospital Orlando

Florida Hospital Orlando- Pros: large volume (I think >100k), diverse patient population (a lot of hispanics), Nice ED, you get to work 1 or 2 fast track shifts where you get to suture, drain abscess, etc.

Cons: Very disorganized rotation. Coordinator will most likely not respond to your emails. You will not get an EM orientation, so you will not meet the coordinator, director any staff or be taught your way around the ED or have any opportunity to ask questions about the rotation. Expectations are not clear (syllabus mentioned some patient presentation at end of rotation, but faculty said it was not necessary later in rotation). Most faculty are extremely busy and will not have time to teach or listen to your presentations. Some residents do not seem happy here (12 hour shifts turn into 13-14 hour shifts). Worked with a resident who got into a big argument with an attending once and was very disrespectful to attending, made things very awkward for me. Trauma mainly goes to ORMC, so don't get your hopes up about intubating or doing procedures.

Other: Your responsibility is same as all rotations, go see patients and present to a PGY2 or PGY3. You rarely will have the chance to present to attending, even if you actively seek it. Didactics consist of powerpoint lectures by residents and faculty with some interactive cases ( I benefited from them).

Overall: Rotation with few shifts, and I think easier to get (They take new students every week and are DO friendly) with high volume and decent patient pathology. Very disorganized rotation, unhappy residents, no procedures, no bedside teaching, malignant residency program.

We (Ocala) had a med student help with a thoracotomy (perform cardiac massage), intubate 1 patient, and place 2 central lines, in one shift. She called it the second best day of her life next to the day she was proposed to. We will only have a PGY1 and PGY2 class next year so we hope to have opportunities for med students to get just as involved as our first year. PM me if you have any questions about Ocala EM

Reactions: 2 users

Baylor College of Medicine

14 shifts (mostly 8 hour, 1-2 weekend 12 hour), weekly sim/didactic session with rotating students, weekly grand rounds. Students are paired with an upper level resident and follow their schedule. Ben Taub is divided into several different pods based on acuity and shifts include a good mix of mostly high acuity shifts with a few trauma and low acuity shifts. Like any other program there are some residents and faculty who are very excited about teaching and some who aren't. Residents were all pretty great, shoutout to chief Moises for always being an incredible teacher. Plenty of minor procedures to go around and of the rotating students I know we got a few of the big ones (paracentesis, chest tube, LP, art line). PD and APDs were some of my favorites to work with. This is a county program, and I loved my experience.

Montefiore Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Jacobi/Montefiore)

Required exam: In-house exam, pretty easy/straightforward and doesn't require much studying

Schedule: 7-8 8 hour shifts at Jacobi, 5 12 hour shifts at Monte, 1 shift at Weiler

Didactics: Weekly conference and follow-up rounds with residents. Also a few student specific sessions (simulation, fun trip to Bronx Zoo to talk about snakebites). Short case presentation at end of rotation.

SLOE: Sent in reasonable amount of time - about 2 weeks after end of rotation. Was told on interviews it was strong.

Pros: Large, diverse, sick patient population. Residents are friendly, helpful. Most faculty were great to work with (especially at Monte). Lots of autonomy, good number of procedures. Get to rotate at 3 very different sites.

Cons: EMR at Jacobi is annoying (Quadramed). EPIC at Monte but students don't have access. Understaffed nursing so you have to put in IVs and push patients to imaging sometimes.

Overall: Enjoyed this rotation, would recommend to anyone looking to experience EM in NYC.

Christiana Care Health Service

No, but interview is guaranteed to rotators

About 12 rotating students during this block (combination of away students + students from Jefferson). Each student works about 12 (8 hr) shifts during 4 week rotation. Shifts are split between Christiana main hospital and Wilmington hospital. No overnight shifts for students. Each shift, student works directly with a resident and attending. Residents and attending are incredibly involved with teaching/mentoring, and the vast majority work very hard to find procedures for students. Very welcoming environment for students. As a student, you can easily see when a new chart has been added, then you can check to see if that's a patient you want to pick up. Most of the time, your resident and/or attending will agree. Other times, they'll offer for you to see a patient that they believe will be more educational. No writing notes on this rotation. Didactics are excellent, with a mix of interactive discussions and short lectures. Every block, there is a third year "teaching resident" who is considered additional coverage in the ED because they are solely there for teaching the student they are assigned to work with. Every student gets at least one, sometimes two, shifts with the teaching resident. The program director will also have talks specifically for the students regarding ERAS app, personal statement tips, interviewing tips, etc. He's an incredibly approachable and involved PD. He's also hilarious and super fun to work with. Midway through the rotation, each student has an individual meeting about their progress, what their grade/SLOE will likely look like. Overall, this was an excellent rotation. Super involved faculty and residents. Many opportunities for students to do as much as they want in terms of how many patients to see, procedures, etc. The education component/conferences were well organized and very well taught. This is a very busy hospital system with very sick patients and more trauma than most would expect. Of note, if you are a visiting student from out of state (a certain distance away - Philadelphia students still have to commute), they will pay to put you up in a hotel for the month. Cannot say more positive things about this rotation!

So basically the 4th year med students at Hennepin spend 3/4 of their shifts working as a glorified scribe?

Sounds like a great learning experience.

Considering the post mentions that there are three team centers, and you only record while in one of those team centers, your math might be off..... You record for about 3 of your 12 shifts in the ED. For 1 of my team center B (recorder) shifts, I was in the STAB room recording for ~80% of my shift, but the other 2 shifts there was definitely enough time between STAB cases for me to still see my own patients. While in STAB cases recording, you get to watch some of the best 3rd years in the nation rock critical care. 100% worth it.

Uhhh... I'm not sure having to "WORK YOUR ASS OFF" or "worked extremely hard for the 4 weeks" to come out with a HP is worth it. Especially when you consider that you could go somewhere else, work more comfortably, and come out with Honors and top 10% SLOE.

I learned a ton during my 4 weeks at Denver, and getting a HP SLOE from Denver Health, where they actually follow the 30/30/30/10 rule meant way more to me than getting a top 10 while coasting through 4 weeks at a program that hands out Honors would have. Like the post says, "If you want to scrape by for 4 weeks and don't want to work hard, then yeah not the place for you (to rotate at or to do residency at to be honest)." I did just fine this interview season, so yeah, worth it.

Just so you all know, when core faculty review SLOEs, we notice the split and factor it in. If you got HP, but 90% got honors, we question it. If you got honors like the 90%, the comments can help differentiate. Honors on your first rotation, then three straight passes suggest the honors was a fluke, or that you coasted.

We glean alot from the details of these. Work hard, play nice, and put yourself out there, it's all you can do

Posted by @ARegularVoltaire via SDN Away Rotation Review Google Form

University of Arizona

Interview offered during rotation: Yes - Interviews for both Main Campus and South Campus residencies during the rotation, which is incredibly helpful.

No didactics on the rotation. I attended 1 conference day just to get a glimpse and it seemed relaxed. All the residents were dressed in very casual clothes hanging out. Faculty were mostly glad to have you. I had a couple that groaned at the idea of having a student, but after an hour or so into the shift, they seemed happy to teach. Some really young faculty. Shared faculty between South campus residency and main campus residency. As a Sub-I, you present directly to attending and take care of patient on your own. The EM elective was more of a shadowing role. Residents were all happy to help if you had questions. Decent amount of procedures to go around, and residents will sometimes pull you away to do it. I believe it was 14 shifts 9 hrs each. I was not involved in any traumas or traumatic procedures, but got to witness a couple. Solid SLOE, but sent it after Oct 1. Interviews for both Main Campus and South Campus residencies during the rotation, which is incredibly helpful. Tucson in summer is rough, but I'm sure it cools down by fall.