This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What should I stick with to give myself the best possible chance at being accepted to MD/DO schools

• Retake a lot of the core classes I made a C in at University of Texas at Dallas

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • Wait until the applications open again for University of North Texas post bac program and apply

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MedicalSchoolApplicant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a graduate from University of Texas at Dallas and have just gotten my Bachelor of Science in Biology. That being said my academic record in the past few years have been lacking to say the least. My overall GPA is sitting around a 3.0 (factoring in the + and -'s) and my MCAT is a 32 on my 2nd try. I currently have over 1000+ hours working in the ER of Children's Medical Center as a Scribe. I am applying this cycle to in state MD/DO as well as a few out of state DO schools.

Obviously I know my chances this cycle are not very high. In fact I have already signed up to retake a few core classes that I got a C in and plan to get an A the 2nd time through (I heard DO schools look at the higher grade) at University of Texas at Dallas for fall semester 2016. My question is, should I just apply for a Post Bac Program instead of retaking some classes because I feel like I would need to take around 8 courses over again (all C-A's). The only issue is that my local post bac program application deadline has already passed for this year and I will have to wait until 2017 Fall to begin it if I get accepted to the program.

Thank you for taking the time to read my issue! Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Update: So after reading a few of the responses below and talking to my health advisor, I have decided to spend the fall and spring semester retaking a couple core classes such as Biol II and Ochem 1+2 and taking a few new upper level science courses. As such I will be mainly focusing on the DO path from now on due to grade replacement but will still apply to all the Medical schools in state as it is 1 charge for them all. Thank you all for your responses. I have gained back some hope and a whole lot of confidence :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is your sGPA higher? With a 32 maybe you'll get lucky with some DO schools, but like you said the chances aren't something I'd be super confident in? Maybe swing by the underdogs thread and look for similar people with low GPAs but high MCATs?

If the deadline has passed already and you have to wait until Fall 2017 to start a postbacc, then in my opinion the best step would be to retake a lot of the core classes (especially pre-reqs) at UT instead. It's also cheaper. The change from 4-8 courses of C's->A's is going to be huge for your GPA if you're going DO. You may have to apply again next cycle, but at least you'll know then that your GPA is much more improved. There may also be a chance you have to retake your MCAT depending on which school you're applying to, they're usually good for 3-5 years.

I was in a similar predicament. Scored ~33(took the new one) on the MCAT. Did an informal post-bacc at a local university retaking some classes and taking new upper-division classes. My AACOMAS GPA was 3.2 cPGA and 3.3 sGPA. Got in to a good school.

Is your GPA trend up or down? Do you also have non-health related ECs?

Members don't see this ad :)
For DO, do retakes and get that gpa up as much as reasonably possible. See the AACOM MCIB.

However, if you do the aacomas gpa math and your s/cgpa is >3.0 then you actually might be better off applying DO this year as your awesome MCAT will potentially expire at a lot of schools next year and maybe already some this year. That is IF you would be happy as a DO!

For MD look at the low gpa threads. An SMP might be the only route, but it could also go poorly and end your chances for either DO or MD.

Good Luck!

Are you retaking your classes at the same University that you took them at before? I'm not positive, but I believe I saw posters here saying that it only does grade replacement if it's from the same school or at least the exact same course name and credit hours. Just wanted to let you now sooner rather than later so that you can look into this!