Where do I start???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avik224

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, I am a Senior in High School........I just gave my third and final SAT on Nov. 3..........

I still didn't receive my nov score, but out of the last two I took, my highest score was a 1940 (570 Critical Reading, 680 Math, 690 Writing). I feel I did worse in Nov compared to the others, because I didn't finish a few sections...

Currently, my goal is to get accepted into Rutgers Pharmacy School, however, in case I don't get accepted as an Undergrad, due to my low SAT score, I want to make sure I get accepted as a Transfer Student when I apply.

Obviously, if I want to get accepted as a transfer, the PCAT is extremely important in the admissions process.........I do not want to start studying late as I did for the SATs.......

Thus, the whole purpose of this post was to ask: How should I start studying, and use all the time that I have to study wisely??

What books are the best for PCAT prep?

Are there any online Prep Sites that are good?

What sites have helped you the most and what was your score???

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Rule #1 is to pay attention in class and not learn solely through rote memorization. This allows for a better understanding of the PCAT-relevant material that can reduce the amount of time needed to study for this. In general, people start studying at different times but the theme is to study a few months before the exam when the majority of the PCAT-relevant courses have been taken. Taking and/or studying for the PCAT before taking key courses like organic chemistry can lead to a bad score.

Try to get your hands on practice exams to simulate the testing experience. It's easy to practice in the comfort of your own room with all the time you need, but many people can find trouble on test day when they scramble to finish the PCAT as the PCAT is a faster sprint compared to the SAT in my opinion.

I agree ^^ pay attention as much as you can in your classes so you can understand things better. Make sure you have a good biology, Chemistry, and math knowlegde. Good PCAT books are Barrons and Kaplans, which you can find at a bookstore like Barnes & Nobles.

Once again, work hard to learn the material in the classes and you will do fine without any real studying, maybe some review a few weeks before the test. And I would wait until you've had at least one semester of organic and calculus. If you take it before then just make sure you study the basics of organic on your own, thats actually what I did. But I only ended up with a 74 in the chem section. Definitely would have done a lot better after I took Organic I. Good luck! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you are planning so early, you might want to do what I'm doing and go ahead and buy those Kaplan and Barron books (or whichever study guides look best to you) and you can somewhat follow along as you learn the material. That way you even have a feel for what may be more important to understand and remember. That also gives you a chance to ask your professors any questions you have about the material while you are on the topic.

The Barrons PCAT book I'm finding pretty helpful since it contains outlines as to what to focus on for the PCAT. I'd suggest getting that if you're unsure about what parts of bio/chem/etc. to know for later on when you take the test.