Where to start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SKYE192

Reaction score
Hi, I was hoping if I could take PCAT in the summer, but I haven't started studying yet.
I do really great with math, so I am not really worried about it.
But, I completely forgot everything I learned from chemistry classes (gen chems, orgo 1 and 2) although I ended up with good grades.
I only took bio1 and 2, anatomy/physiology, microbiology. I can recall some stuffs from bio classes.

Right now, I think I just need to learn again before taking practice tests on prep book.
Should I watch videos on Youtube for chemistry and biology? What did you use to study?

Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

Take my personal experience with a grain of salt. Others will find certain study materials to be better or worse. Here goes....

CHEM TLDR: Dr. Collins (any edition with passages), Kaplan (any edition), Chad's Videos (coursesaver)

My personal experience Dr. Collin's hands down is the overall best for having concise reviews and includes tons of relevant/difficulty practice questions for the chem sections. Any edition will work as much doesn't change from year to year just as long as you're getting the version with the new passage questions for chemistry. Hefty premium price but very reliable.

Kaplan's chem reviews are pretty much more extensive compared to Collin's/Couresaver (like a textbook) but includes alot of fluff and a few outdated topics not seen on the PCAT now. Less concise and alot more fluff as mentioned so you'll spend alot more time reading. Practice tests are much harder than the actual PCAT imo. They recycle their material from year to year as well so an older edition is fine. Cheap book overall but least reliable.

Unlike the other two mentioned Coursesaver's materials are video taught. Some vids are short but some are longer. Cover's chemistry topics pretty indepth but also has really helpful quick strategies to approach questions to save you time. Practice questions are given after each lesson. This is subscription based, semi-cheap, and highly reliable.

If I could go back I would get Dr. Collins and Couresaver together for the chem section .

BIO TLDR: Dr Collins (passage questions), Pearson (review around question topic), Youtube: Bozeman Science, Kaplan (long reviews)

Collin's biology review is really short and concise but the new passage questions are quite similar to the actualy PCAT so that helped me alot. It was the only review material with passage questions similar to the new PCAT besides Pearson. Again tons of practice questions.

On youtube for Biology I mainly used "Bozeman Science", but if I needed to review any topics even more I would just do a simple search on youtube and it had everything. Bozeman Science covers majority topics seen on the PCAT (he teaches AP biology and chemistry too). Khan Academy is free too.

Pearson i found was highly reliable for Biology/Chemistry. Not just how closely similar the questions were but they also provide the topics you should be knowing and covering.

Kaplan is really extensive but is great too if you have time.

If I could go back I would have done Dr Collins, Bozeman, and Pearson only. Kaplan is good too but I easily get distracted and can't stand reading tons of words lol. Good luck guys and gals.

Reactions: 1 user
Take my personal experience with a grain of salt. Others will find certain study materials to be better or worse. Here goes....

CHEM TLDR: Dr. Collins (any edition with passages), Kaplan (any edition), Chad's Videos (coursesaver)

My personal experience Dr. Collin's hands down is the overall best for having concise reviews and includes tons of relevant/difficulty practice questions for the chem sections. Any edition will work as much doesn't change from year to year just as long as you're getting the version with the new passage questions for chemistry. Hefty premium price but very reliable.

Kaplan's chem reviews are pretty much more extensive compared to Collin's/Couresaver (like a textbook) but includes alot of fluff and a few outdated topics not seen on the PCAT now. Less concise and alot more fluff as mentioned so you'll spend alot more time reading. Practice tests are much harder than the actual PCAT imo. They recycle their material from year to year as well so an older edition is fine. Cheap book overall but least reliable.

Unlike the other two mentioned Coursesaver's materials are video taught. Some vids are short but some are longer. Cover's chemistry topics pretty indepth but also has really helpful quick strategies to approach questions to save you time. Practice questions are given after each lesson. This is subscription based, semi-cheap, and highly reliable.

If I could go back I would get Dr. Collins and Couresaver together for the chem section .

BIO TLDR: Dr Collins (passage questions), Pearson (review around question topic), Youtube: Bozeman Science, Kaplan (long reviews)

Collin's biology review is really short and concise but the new passage questions are quite similar to the actualy PCAT so that helped me alot. It was the only review material with passage questions similar to the new PCAT besides Pearson. Again tons of practice questions.

On youtube for Biology I mainly used "Bozeman Science", but if I needed to review any topics even more I would just do a simple search on youtube and it had everything. Bozeman Science covers majority topics seen on the PCAT (he teaches AP biology and chemistry too). Khan Academy is free too.

Pearson i found was highly reliable for Biology/Chemistry. Not just how closely similar the questions were but they also provide the topics you should be knowing and covering.

Kaplan is really extensive but is great too if you have time.

If I could go back I would have done Dr Collins, Bozeman, and Pearson only. Kaplan is good too but I easily get distracted and can't stand reading tons of words lol. Good luck guys and gals.
Thank you so much ! I should get Dr. Collins ASAP. :D

Bozeman Science is great! Another good one is the guy from CrashCourse. His videos are along the same lines, presented a little differently. In combination, they are great. We used them in my BIO181 and BIO182 classes, along with using them for a bit of Chemistry, too..

Reactions: 1 user