Where should I apply? Is 6 schools enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bitewing5053

Reaction score
Hi! I am applying to dental school this cycle and I really do not have the time or money to apply to like 10+ schools like a lot of my peers did. Am I ok with just applying with the few schools I have in mind now? What do you guys think? All my friends applied to like 7+ schools and it kind of scares me that I am not going to do that. Thanks!

Overall GPA: 3.265
Science GPA: 2.74
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: Too lazy to calc right now and I am also in the middle of physics 2 and another bio course at the moment.
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
I am taking it first week of July!
State of Residence: Illinois

Undergrad Attended: Marquette
Major: Psychology (I'm in the Honors college/program too)
Minor: Biological sciences
Minority? Yes (first gen Hispanic female)
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No, but I am taking a gap year (I am a senior in undergrad rn)

Shadowing Experience: 100+ shadowing hours from different dentists in IL and WI, and some even in Panama. I also work as a dental assistant now so I have lotssss of clinical experiences.

Volunteering Experience: Around 400+ volunteer hours from different mission trips and service events at school. Also volunteered with many different foundations over my time in undergrad.
Employment: I have worked around full-time hours all 4 years of undergrad. Currently, I work in the records department at the dental school @ Marquette, I work in a research lab, and I work as a dental assistant for a peds dentist.
Research: Worked in a research lab for the last 2-3 years. My abstract was published in a journal from the field a few weeks ago and I presented my research at a national conference for the field. Research is in anthropology on primate dental lesions. Getting a few manuscripts together for publication as well, so we are in the process of that!

Other Extracurriculars: I have ADHD so I NEED to stay busy. I have many different leadership roles and was pretty involved in campus residence life for a few years too. I also play the violin and like to draw/paint, if that counts.

Relevant Honors or Awards: I won't list them all but I have won a few scholarships from private foundations and a few student leadership awards on campus.

LOR type and strength: Talked a lot about Hispanic dental disparities and how this motivates me to be a dentist. I love writing so I had fun with it. Had my PI look over it and one of my professors. Feeling pretty good about it overall.

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
My GPA isn't the best, but like I said I have ADHD. I just found out last semester. This is my first semester being on meds and having disability stuff set up at school and I currently am doing the best I ever have with a full load and working full time (I'm talking like straight A's... which I have never done before). I retook Orgo 1 but did not retake Orgo 2 cuz I couldn't afford it (MU is so expensive lol). Like I said, first generation Hispanic female. Can't really think of anything else worth noting. I know I need to do well on my DAT so I have been grinding for that.

School list:
-Marquette
-Iowa
-UIC
-Creighton
-AT Still
-Tufts
Any other recs?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I am applying to dental school this cycle and I really do not have the time or money to apply to like 10+ schools like a lot of my peers did. Am I ok with just applying with the few schools I have in mind now? What do you guys think? All my friends applied to like 7+ schools and it kind of scares me that I am not going to do that. Thanks!

Overall GPA: 3.265
Science GPA: 2.74
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: Too lazy to calc right now and I am also in the middle of physics 2 and another bio course at the moment.
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
I am taking it first week of July!
State of Residence: Illinois

Undergrad Attended: Marquette
Major: Psychology (I'm in the Honors college/program too)
Minor: Biological sciences
Minority? Yes (first gen Hispanic female)
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No, but I am taking a gap year (I am a senior in undergrad rn)

Shadowing Experience: 100+ shadowing hours from different dentists in IL and WI, and some even in Panama. I also work as a dental assistant now so I have lotssss of clinical experiences.

Volunteering Experience: Around 400+ volunteer hours from different mission trips and service events at school. Also volunteered with many different foundations over my time in undergrad.
Employment: I have worked around full-time hours all 4 years of undergrad. Currently, I work in the records department at the dental school @ Marquette, I work in a research lab, and I work as a dental assistant for a peds dentist.
Research: Worked in a research lab for the last 2-3 years. My abstract was published in a journal from the field a few weeks ago and I presented my research at a national conference for the field. Research is in anthropology on primate dental lesions. Getting a few manuscripts together for publication as well, so we are in the process of that!

Other Extracurriculars: I have ADHD so I NEED to stay busy. I have many different leadership roles and was pretty involved in campus residence life for a few years too. I also play the violin and like to draw/paint, if that counts.

Relevant Honors or Awards: I won't list them all but I have won a few scholarships from private foundations and a few student leadership awards on campus.

LOR type and strength: Talked a lot about Hispanic dental disparities and how this motivates me to be a dentist. I love writing so I had fun with it. Had my PI look over it and one of my professors. Feeling pretty good about it overall.

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: My GPA isn't the best, but like I said I have ADHD. I just found out last semester. This is my first semester being on meds and having disability stuff set up at school and I currently am doing the best I ever have with a full load and working full time (I'm talking like straight A's... which I have never done before). I retook Orgo 1 but did not retake Orgo 2 cuz I couldn't afford it (MU is so expensive lol). Like I said, first generation Hispanic female. Can't really think of anything else worth noting. I know I need to do well on my DAT so I have been grinding for that.

School list:
-Marquette
-Iowa
-UIC
-Creighton
-AT Still
-Tufts
Any other recs?
6 schools is not enough, even with a strong DAT and straight A's this semester
add a less than 3.0 sGPA to taking DAT in july, you are against a STEEP wall
i would strongly consider taking another year to get your sGPA above 3.0 (if possible) and save money to apply to more schools the first week AADSAS opens...

Reactions: 4 users
i would strongly consider taking another year to get your sGPA above 3.0 (if possible) and save money to apply to more schools the first week AADSAS opens...
If I'm graduating undergrad this year how am I supposed to raise my sGPA? I am not looking into a post-bacc or masters lol. That defeats the purpose of taking a year or two off for saving money. I think considering my circumstances my GPA combined with a good DAT isn't a horrible combination. I had a cognitive disability that went undiagnosed combined with working 40 hours a week and other life things, how am I supposed to get all As in tough courses? Idk. It's not like I didn't try, I just tried as hard as I could with what was given to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just realized I talked about PS instead of LOR. For LOR I have the dentist I've been working for for the last 3 years, my research PI, my biochem prof. Working on getting another science prof as well. I only asked people I felt I was close with.

If I'm graduating undergrad this year how am I supposed to raise my sGPA? I am not looking into a post-bacc or masters lol. That defeats the purpose of taking a year or two off for saving money. I think considering my circumstances my GPA combined with a good DAT isn't a horrible combination. I had a cognitive disability that went undiagnosed combined with working 40 hours a week and other life things, how am I supposed to get all As in tough courses? Idk. It's not like I didn't try, I just tried as hard as I could with what was given to me.
Well that is the conundrum you face: you have to take classes to raise your GPA in a postbac or master's program (which I would recommend given your low sGPA) if you want a realistic shot at an offer. You can definitely take time off to save money, but for what purpose? Tuition for SMP's will be even more than undergraduate/DIY postbac courses. Then there's the DAT.

I certainly suggest getting your disability under control and show that you can really do well in your science coursework. But if you don't think you are worth investing in your dream to become a dentist, you may want to consider other options like hygientist or dental assistant which will cost you a lot less and may not be as challenging when it comes to the admissions process.

The application pool is that competitive, and dental school is more of a crucible than undergrad is. I hope you can prove me and other experienced adcoms wrong, but this is what the probabilities and the adcom faculty tell us.

Do some real networking with students through SNDA or HDA about the challenges they faced. Connect with admissions staff, especially the six on your wishlist. Yes, you need to apply to more.

Reactions: 2 users
I am not looking into a post-bacc or masters lol.
You probably will need to if you want a realistic chance.
I think considering my circumstances my GPA combined with a good DAT isn't a horrible combination.
You have a below average overall GPA and very poor science GPA, what DAT score do you think would realistically offset this? A 22 isn’t going to cut it. Do you know how hard it is statistically to score a 24+?

You will need to apply to a lot more than 6 schools. More in the range of 20. To be brutally honest, however, you probably will need a few years to “repair” your application. On the very remote chance you do get in this cycle, it will almost certainly be to a private school that will cost you $650,000+. It’s not worth it at that price point.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 5 users

You have a below average overall GPA and very poor science GPA, what DAT score do you think would realistically offset this? A 22 isn’t going to cut it. Do you know how hard it is statistically to score a 24+?

You will need to apply to a lot more than 6 schools. More in the range of 20. To be brutally honest, however, you probably will need a few years to “repair” your application. On the very remote chance you do get in this cycle, it will almost certainly be to a private school that will cost you $650,000+. It’s not worth it at that price point.

Big Hoss
Completely agree.

You are not getting in with a 2.7 sGPA, but in the remote chance you do it will be to a school that is not worth the price of attending.

Reactions: 1 user
I think considering my circumstances my GPA combined with a good DAT isn't a horrible combination.
But what you think is bound to be different than what adcoms/students on the admissions committee think. Also you do not have a good DAT score - yet. Hypotheticals can get you in trouble.
If you are set on applying with your current GPAs, I would apply to 10-12 minimum, more privates than publics.
If you want to get into a school, I would look into SMPs with linkage programs. Your GPA needs improvement to showcase you as a strong student that dental schools should take a chance on. Your one (current) semester is not enough.
Good luck.

Take your time (I'm not sure an application now would be helpful). Make sure you can do well with your new treatment management. I'd also make connections with HDA and SNDA before you move forward with an application. You may already have some connections with your local dental associations through your shadowing and working with the DS faculty.

Big Hoss
Completely agree.

You are not getting in with a 2.7 sGPA, but in the remote chance you do it will be to a school that is not worth the price of attending.
Tbt 🙊

Good luck! Did you ever connect with SNDA or HDA members? If not, will you be able to connect with some before or after interview day? Feel free to prove us wrong. :)

Cross our fingers on tuition scholarships. Are you going to apply to HPSP or NHSC?

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted into Marquette and waitlisted at ASDOH. Will be turning my seat down at MU and asking to get off the ASDOH waitlist. Can't wait to be a Hawkeye DDS :)

Good luck! Did you ever connect with SNDA or HDA members? If not, will you be able to connect with some before or after interview day? Feel free to prove us wrong. :)

Cross our fingers on tuition scholarships. Are you going to apply to HPSP or NHSC?
Was looking into the HPSP but I have ADHD and am not willing to stop taking my meds and antidepressants in order to be eligible. so I will look into the NHSC!

Congratulations! Your post is giving me hope for this cycle as my GPA is on the lower end as well!!

Hi!! Congratulations, i’m currently applying this cycle and I was wondering what did you end up receiving on your DAT?