This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crown18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

So I will be applying this summer but I am still trying to solidify my list of where I am going to apply. Mainly, I am debating whether I should even try applying to schools like Harvard, Penn, UCLA, and UCSF (Also, Baylor sounds like a great option however I have heard that it is really difficult to get into for students from out of state) Could I get your thoughts? I know that no one besides the admission committees at these schools can really say but advice from people who are more familiar with these schools would still be awesome.

Here is a quick overview of my application:

DAT Score: 23 AA. 24 TS. 25 PAT. (23 Bio, 25 Gen Chem, 26 Ochem, 22 Math, 20 Reading)
GPA: 3.99
Research Hours: 400 (Not published yet but hopefully will be in the fall)
Shadowing Hours: 105
Volunteer Hours: 150
Residency: Colorado
Undergraduate School: BYU

Members don't see this ad.

My stats were very similar to yours: You'll get an interview anywhere you want, and probably receive an acceptance to every school you interview at.

My advice: plan to attend Colorado. Please read the discussions your future colleagues are having here and on DentalTown: Cost should be the #1 factor when deciding. As a resident of Colorado, you want that acceptance more than anywhere else

However, you do want to apply other places, in case 1) for some reason, you don't get into Colorado (unlikely), or 2) you discover you really fall in love with another (relatively cheap) school.

You mentioned Baylor. I got an interview as OOS, but didn't attend the interview, so you at least have a shot. Otherwise: Consider applying to state schools which allow OOSers to switch to in-state tuition: Rutgers, UConn, UCLA, UCSF. If you want to apply to Harvard for your ego, go for it. But when it comes down to making the most important decision of your life, please decide with your brain alongside the advice of your future colleagues.

Definitely think Colorado should be on your list.