Where to apply in-state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOCOC15

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-trad student living in Wisconsin, which is my current state of residence. I'm from California originally and would like to move back. From looking at the regulations, I believe as long as I've moved back more than 1 year before classes start I should be fine for in-state tuition.

Given how competitive California is, my question is on whether it's worthwhile. Does anyone have any idea on how competitive I might be to get into at least 1 UC as opposed to UW Madison? Madison has ~15% acceptance rate, I don't know the stats for California applicants getting into at least 1 public school.

My undergrad GPA was 3.79, econ and math double major. My undergrad "Science" gpa which was just math classes was 3.5. For the past year I've been taking science pre-reqs and assuming this semester goes well I'll have a 4.0. That will bring my science gpa to 3.8. No idea on what my MCAT score will be.

Prior to going back to school I worked at a tech company that's healthcare adjacent. During my pre-med postbacc year I volunteered at a vaccine clinic and worked as a caregiver for a quadriplegic woman. I don't have any in-person shadowing hours because of covid, but did plenty of informational interviews/research before deciding to switch careers.

Does anyone have advice on what my odds look like in CA vs WI? Also any ideas on what I should be doing with these last couple months before taking the MCAT + applying?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The IS matriculation for WI is 28.9%, CA is 14.9%.
Mean MCAT for successful WI applicants is 511.2, gpa is 3.74. Mean MCAT for successful Californians is 513.7, gpa is 3.71.

You are much better off applying as a WI resident as virtually no one can count on getting into a UC (except maybe a stellar candidate from UCR who is from the IE).

Reactions: 3 users
The IS matriculation for WI is 28.9%, CA is 14.9%.
Mean MCAT for successful WI applicants is 511.2, gpa is 3.74. Mean MCAT for successful Californians is 513.7, gpa is 3.71.

You are much better off applying as a WI resident as virtually no one can count on getting into a UC (except maybe a stellar candidate from UCR who is from the IE).
Thank you for the documentation. I believe that in-state/out of state includes both public and private schools here? Is that how you read it as well?

Am I correct in assuming that if I apply to UCs as out of state that my odds are incredibly slim?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the documentation. I believe that in-state/out of state includes both public and private schools here? Is that how you read it as well?

Am I correct in assuming that if I apply to UCs as out of state that my odds are incredibly slim?
The data presented here is for all MD schools (public and private).
Odds for UC schools are incredibly slim whether you are IS or OOS. UCR and UCD are about zero for OOS. Strangely, OOS odds are also quite low for the nation's worst MD school (it happens to be in CA).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Just a FYI- @gyngyn is an ADCOM at a California school. Information is spot on. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users