Quantcast

Where to apply with 124 in CARS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlenolo

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey guys, first post on SDN and was hoping to get your opinion. I'm a Canadian applicant looking to apply to the States after an unsuccessful round with Canadian schools and was hoping some of you would be kind enough to give me your opinion on which schools to apply to for MD.

Current stats: cGPA = 3.92, sGPA = 3.96
MCAT: 510 (128 PS/ 124 CARS/ 129 Bio/ 129 PSYC)
ECs: average (volunteering at a hospital, research, clinical work, tutoring, sports, scholarships etc.)

Seeing my CARS falls around 7-8 based on percentiles with the old MCAT, I'm currently looking at:

Jefferson
Rosy Franklin
SLU
NYMC
Oakland
Georgetown
Emory
Wayne State
Virginia Commonwealth University
Penn State
Tulane
Case Western -- reach
SUNY -- reach

I'm not sure if I should write the MCAT and try pulling up CARS (had 9 on old MCAT for VR which is why I rewrote) and which schools to add for MD.

Thanks SDN!

rocklobstr

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apply to all of the lower tier schools that accept a good amount of out of state applicants. Emory is a reach as well. Get the MSAR if you haven't.

littlenolo

Reaction score
Apply to all of the lower tier schools that accept a good amount of out of state applicants. Emory is a reach as well. Get the MSAR if you haven't.

Thanks for the advice rocklobstr! I'll definitely look through the MSAR more. Do you know whether Canadian applicants are looked at similarly to OOS applicants?

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you know whether Canadian applicants are looked at similarly to OOS applicants?
No. https://students-residents.aamc.org...ool/article/applying-international-applicant/
Only 62 MD schools even accept applications from internationals. Most of them matriculate none to a couple. Only 300 internationals matriculated in 2014.
In contrast, the majority of successful CA applicants went OOS (1528 students).

On your list only Jefferson 7/665, Chicago Med 10/815, SLU 9/421, Wayne 36/562 and Tulane 8/376 are worth a shot (and that's if 510 is your only MCAT). The others took 3 or less of many hundreds and Case is out of range for stats. This equates to a DO application in the US for any real chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user

littlenolo

Reaction score
No. https://students-residents.aamc.org...ool/article/applying-international-applicant/
Only 62 MD schools even accept applications from internationals. Most of them matriculate none to a couple. Only 300 internationals matriculated in 2014.
In contrast, the majority of successful CA applicants went OOS (1528 students).

On your list only Jefferson 7/665, Chicago Med 10/815, SLU 9/421, Wayne 36/562 and Tulane 8/376 are worth a shot (and that's if 510 is your only MCAT). The others took 3 or less of many hundreds and Case is out of range for stats. This equates to a DO application in the US for any real chance.

Thank you for clarifying gyngyn. I'll definitely look into DO schools for this upcoming cycle.

Reactions: 1 user

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you for clarifying gyngyn. I'll definitely look into DO schools for this upcoming cycle.
Start with these:
AZCOM
Ccom
Kcumb
Lecom
Lmu
Marian
Msucom
Pcom
Pcom ga
Nova
VCOM (x2)