Where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

russ7272

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm applying next year and I would like to know which dental schools would probably be a longshot with my stats and not worth applying to.

Gpa: 3.94
Bio: 21
G Chem: 28
O Chem: 26
RC: 23
Qr: 22
Pat:22
TS: 23
AA: 24

About 50 shadowing hours and 90 volunteer hours so far.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Boi, get more shadowing + volunteer hours under your belt and you'll be the cream of the crop

Hello! I'm applying next year and I would like to know which dental schools would probably be a longshot with my stats and not worth applying to.

Gpa: 3.94
Bio: 21
G Chem: 28
O Chem: 26
RC: 23
Qr: 22
Pat:22
TS: 23
AA: 24

About 50 shadowing hours and 90 volunteer hours so far.
Thanks!

#humblebrag

Members don't see this ad :)
Most places that assign a value to shadowing I think put 100 but I could be wrong. Also, shadowing aka stand in the corner quietly while a dentist does an MOD is boink anyway; so yeah, do it, but the big thing youre trying to demonstrate with those numbers is that your committed enough, mature enough, and grasp what dentistry is not just clamoring for some vocation you heard was cool one night in the dorm.

I've seen kids with as high or higher stats fail out of dental school, the workload and environment is just different. Remember, it doesn't matter if you can recite every organic chem compound known to man - if you cant draw a straight line or have people skills, I wouldn't want you in my mouth. So, consider how you can demonstrate that maturity and understanding.

Boi, get more shadowing + volunteer hours under your belt and you'll be the cream of the crop
So it turns out i'll be getting about 140 shadowing hours and about 190 hours of volunteer experience. Do you think that's enough?

So it turns out i'll be getting about 140 shadowing hours and about 190 hours of volunteer experience. Do you think that's enough?
that's more than enough.. do you have any extracurriculars that you chose to do out of interest/fun. There is a point of diminished returns. I've seen some schools that have an incoming class averaging 300 hours of shadowing but personally I don't see the point. Anything over 100 is enough. Get most (60-80) at one clinic but then branch out to other clinics/specialties to see how things can vary.