Where to do prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Innie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm applying now for the 2014 cycle with 4 prereqs (Bio II, Chem I and II, OChem II) left to take. I took Bio and Chem as AP's and got 5's, which counted for my major (bioengineering), and the second semester of OChem wasn't required for my major. I already have my MCAT's in and my science scores are both 11's, so I think medical schools will be okay with accepting me with coursework left to do. While every school has their own policy with regards to AP and requirements, I want to do the maximum to give me the best chances.

The issue I've been having is where to take the prereqs. I live in the LA area now (moved back in with my parents) and went to college at UC Berkeley. I'm looking at 3 major options right now:
-Community College: Pros, local, inexpensive, and I can live rent free. Cons, many schools do not "recommend" doing prereqs at CC's and I am afraid it may hurt my chances.
-UC Berkeley Extension Program: Pros, associated with a prestigious university. Cons, it would be more expensive as I would have to pay rent again, and I am also happy to be back living in LA (I missed the sun these past 4 years!)
-Foreign program (in English, accredited by a US school): Pros, I get to have some fun in a different country during my year off. Cons, I think foreign programs are even more iffy than CC's when it comes to "prestige"

It also occurs to me that I'm going to be taking these courses Fall 2013, meaning that schools are going to be looking at my primary and secondary applications long before I start, and making the choice whether to interview and accept me based much more strongly on what I've done in the past four years and much less what I'm going to do in the next year.

Halps pls?

Members don't see this ad.

I would try going through one of the CSU Open Universities just because CC classes are probably already filled. Just find the nearest CSU to your house so you can commute and keep living at home.

I think you should be fine applying as long as you finish all of the school-specific prereqs by the end of spring semester.

Foreign program: not a good idea being out of the country while applying to medical school unless you're made of money.

Last edited: