Where to live as a resident in Miami?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lily88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be moving to Miami next year for residency at JMH (currently doing prelim year). Any advice on where most residents live? I don't have a family and hope to spend under 2K/mo for a studio or 1BR apt. Most of my rotations are at Jackson or UMH, some are at Sinai on Miami Beach. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know a few that live in Brickell. My cousin is a fellow at JMH and rents a condo there only large enough for his family (wife and small kid) and it's pretty much at $2k if not more per month. :/

Brickell is the place to be. If you want the high end skyscrapers, then you will be looking at 2K or more for a 1BR. Otherwise it's very manageable for about 1500. I was in MIA for med school. I lived in a 2 BR townhouse on brickell avenue (gated, pool and small gym) and paid 1700. An incoming fellow at Jackson actually came to see the place before I moved out.

Brickell Condos (make sure not the one that has Chinese Drywall..) or Coral Gables but you may have to walk to metro if in CG.

I'm also finishing up my transitional year prior to going to JMH/UMiami. Sounds like most residents prefer living in Brickell, as it's a upscale and safer area, and fairly close to Jackson. From the little bit of research I've done, you can get a pretty nice 1BR in one of the Condos (Axis, Ivy, etc) for less than 2K/mo. If you can find a roommate, it may be a bit more affordable as all the nice, medium sized 2BRs run from 2400 to 3000/mo.

I would look in Edgewater if you want something cheaper than Brickell but still nice. It's also a little closer to Jackson I believe.

I was a medical student at Miami and I will give another vote for Brickell. Some of the residents also opted to live on South Beach, although the traffic can be a bear. Unfortunately Miami can get expensive and the residents at Jackson don't get paid much.

If you're interested in living nearby and not paying the prices of Brickell, Flagler on the River is a good spot, so is Terrazas. (you will need to drive to JMH) These are high rises. There is also Jackson Towers (cheap, next to Civic Ctr Metro Stop) Highland Park Lofts, Dominion Tower, and Seybold Point. These will all put you within a 5-10 minute walk of JMH.

I actually live in Overtown - not as bad as people make it out to be. Then again, drug deals used to go down in broad day light on my block when I was living in NYC, so I guess it's all relative...

Brickell is awesome, but good luck finding a nice place there for under 2k a month these days. I lived there in a 1 BR for 3 yrs (pretty much the cheapest I could find, just moved this past Sept). When I started med school my rent was 1600, and when I left it was 2k. Also, the construction has gotten ridiculous! It's going to be amazing to live there in about 2-3 years when everything is done, but for now the cost + construction doesn't sit well with me. I'd suggest midtown, although there's the downside of no train, but seriously 5-10 min commute to Jackson Main.

I'm thinking about living in the North Bay Village, NoBe area.