where to live at LSUMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mike1234

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into LSUMC in New Orleans, does any one know where is the proper place to live?

Members don't see this ad.

mike1234--
Congratulations on your acceptance! I will be going to LSUMC-NO in August also. Anyway, I know a lot of the med, nursing, allied health students live in The Creeks in River Ridge. It is a bunch of apartment complexes all in one area, and it is about 15-20 minute drive to the med school. Some of the individual complexes are Citrus Creek, Clearwater Creek, Cypress Creek, Hickory Creek, etc. (Hmm...do you sense a pattern?) If you're interested, I can give you the phone numbers to a few of them. Let me know.

Congratulations Mike and Jewel as well. I will also be matriculating to LSUMC-NO in the fall. I was hoping to get some info about the apartments from Jewel. Maybe you could email it to me.

Also, any thoughts about what you will be doing this summer? I can't decide so any feedback would be appreciated (even though it has nothing to do with this topic :)

Thanks for the post Mike.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to everyone that has been accepted to LSUNO. I will also be attending in August. I already live in the Creeks so I might be able to help with some questions. The apartments are fairly nice and there is a lot of health care students that live here. The commute to school is really not that bad and it is in a safe part of town. I look forward to seeing you this fall. If you move into the Creeks let me know and maybe we can all get together and drink some pre entering med school beers.

SinMed320--
Hey. Congratulations to you too. Just curious...did you go to LSU for your undergrad? How are you going to spend your last few months of freedom? Anything exciting?

Jewel,
Thanks for the congrats. I didn't go to LSU for undergrad I went to a small private school. This summer I will be doing research at LSU. Other that that I plan on taking it easy and reading as many books as I can. Not that I like to read all that much it's just that is all we will be doing for the next four years so I might as well get used to it now. How about yourself did you go to LSU for undergrad? What do you plan on doing for the next few months?

Congrats to everybody!

Although I won't be going to be LSU-NO, we might see each other at Charity some time, since I'll be starting up at Tulane. I stayed at the Creeks during my interview, with my student host and it was really nice, but maybe a little far ... any other options anyone knows about? And phone numbers to these places?

Sure to join y'all at a pre-school BBQ ...

Simul

SinMed320--
MobDoc and I both work at LSUMC. Where exactly will you be working this summer?(what dept.?) Yeah, I graduated from LSU in 1999. This summer, I'll be working, traveling, lots of shopping, lots of going out, and lots of sleeping.

Congrads to all you all that got into LSUHSC-NO! I wish I could find some people that are going to Shreveport on this forum.
frown.gif
Anyway congrads to you all.

Congratulations dude.

On where to live...there are a couple of options on where you can live if you're going to LSU-NO. Plenty of folks rent out apartments in Metairie, mainly on a street called Lake Avenue. There are a lot of apartment complexes there, the neighborhood is nice, quiet and safe, and 1 bedroom apartments will run you around $350 to $500+ (on average). Two bedrooms can go anywhere in between $450 and $900, depending on how nice you want your apartment to be.

I roomed with a friend of mine in an apartment complex on Lake (called Metairie Lake apartments)...two bedroom, two bath, security gate, hard-wood floor in the living room...basically, a very nice apartment for $610 a month (it's probably gone up since I moved out in 2000). The best thing about living on Lake is that it's 5 minutes from the I-10, and with no traffic, is about another 5 minutes from LSU. With morning traffic is another story...tack on another 20 minutes or so.

There are other apartments that are close to Lake and Downtown New Orleans, so you have a lot of options in metairie. Another option is to live Uptown near the greatest University on the Planet, Tulane U. There aren't that many apartments to choose from, and the ones they have (esp. on St. Charles Ave.) are hella expensive...we're talking upwards of $650 to $1,000 for one-bedroom joints. You might want to rent a house Uptown...most are shot-gun style houses, central air conditioning, etc, etc. You can get a good deal if you want multiple rooms. Many Tulane students Uptown, and it's a short drive (>10 minutes) to LSU downtown.

Another option, though not as popular, is living in the Westbank. Housing is generally cheaper over there (take 5-10% off of the prices you'd find for comparable apartments in Metairie), and there are some nice apartments to choose from. The only drawback is that there is wicked traffic going over the crescent city connection toll bridge...expect to wait to get through the toll for at least 30 minutes every morning.

HOWEVER, you can take the carpool lane if'n you have another person going to school or downtown with you. My good friend who goes to Tulane Med recently bought a house over in the Westbank with his brother (who's choosing between LSU and Tulane Med as we speak) and he said that he and his brother breeze through the Westbank on into downtown every morning in virtually no time at all when they take the carpool lane. Something to consider if you're looking for a good value and if you're rooming with someone. The Westbank itself, depending on where you're coming from, is about 10 minutes away from LSU with little or no traffic.

A good website to reference is Rent.net.

See ya in August.

Congratulations to all of you. I am just finishing up my 2nd year at LSU-NO.

I know that many of the posts recommend living at the Creeks (indeed, it is a popular place for people from out of town), I strongly suggest that you consider living closer to town.
WHY?
1. NO is cool city -- the only way to fully experience it is to live in the city. And, no, I'm sorry, Harahan (Creeks) and Metairie aren't really in the city. Why live in a suburb when you can experience one of the most (in)famous cities in the country?

2. The commute is only 15 minutes, but it gets really old pretty quickly. Most of the people I know that live(d) in the Creeks have since moved closer -- either an apartment in the city or the dorms. Think long-term -- when you have to be at the hospital for your surgery rotation at 4:00, every extra minute of sleep you can get is cherished.

3. Most who live out of the city do so for cost or safety issues. As for the former, it's possible to find cheap housing in the city, you just have to look. Talk with people who live here and they will tell you where to look. As for the latter, like any big city, if you are smart and use common sense, you won't have any problems.

I live Uptown, about 7 min from school and I love it.

see you in the fall

I thought I would resurrect this thread and see if there was anyone else out there that has been accepted to LSU (either NO or Shreveport). I believe the last admissions committee met last week at NO.

I will be at LSUHSC S'port in August. Just wondering if anyone else on this thread is???

Hey Branlove....I'll be going to LSUHSC-S also. It's good to see another person on this forum going to Shreveport.