Where to live in Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biostat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am not sure this is the right forum to post, please feel free to move it to appropriate forum if needed.

For JMH resident/fellows, where do you recommend to live? I am starting at JMH next year and the places I look at (online only) are either expensive or unsafe. I have a family of four and my oldest is going to first grade next year. So, I guess I am looking for some family-friendly place that is not very far from JMH.

This is really not so easy a thing to do.

What specialty? Does your wife work? As of now, I have a family, and I live about 15 miles from the hospital. It's a 20 minute drive at 6:00 am and a 1:15 min drive at 8:00 am. We live on about $36k/year, and we really could not live closer. The Roads is nice, a little bit south of JMH, but it is too expensive on one income, and the schools are very latinized ( this may or may not bother you). If you don't mind a Condo, anything on the beach can be OK, though you may not be able to afford anything closer than Sunny Isles, which still may be out of your price range. Anything inland in Dade county is going to have a crappy school district.

Broward is a commute, but it is nicer. If you can stomach it, I recommend Hollywood.

I think you have to give up one thing. Inexpensive, family friend, and close to Jackson is really, really hard to find. I personally recommend you look for something in the south Broward area (Pembroke Pines, Miramar, etc)(about 20 miles away from Jackson). Its not that long of a drive but I am not sure what you are use to. You can find homes in the $200-500,000 range. There are also many condos available in Pembroke Pines (not sure the price, I think its around $150-250,000)

I think you have to give up one thing. Inexpensive, family friend, and close to Jackson is really, really hard to find. I personally recommend you look for something in the south Broward area (Pembroke Pines, Miramar, etc)(about 20 miles away from Jackson). Its not that long of a drive but I am not sure what you are use to. You can find homes in the $200-500,000 range. There are also many condos available in Pembroke Pines (not sure the price, I think its around $150-250,000)

During Rush Hour, it is a LONG drive. Going north and south is hard in S. Fla. Going east and west is harder. In all seriousness, if you can't find anything in the Roads or on the beach, take a look at I-95 and US-1. On I-95, you probably need to get up near just west of Aventura before it really becomes reasonably family friendly, and it gets a little shady again until you get to central Hollywood. You could go up the turnpike and live in Davie of Griffin Road or West Hollywood (or very close East Pembroke Pines). This is reasonable. Another though, is that if you are in a specialty that is non-surgical and won't make you get to the hospital before 5:30 to 6:00 with too much frequency, you may consider going south on US-1 and living on the MetroRail line, which bypasses the horrendous driving conditions in S. Fla.

The problem with living west, is that you get stuck on the 836 or you have to fight all of the northbound traffic anyway, only to get on the 826 and then fight with I-75. These are NOT good options after a long day as an intern. The 836 is one of the worst roads in the country as far as crowding, and the thing looks basically like a parking lot from about 3:30 to 7:30 every afternoon. in the Westbound direction.

As a resident, you should consider the afternoon commute over the morning commute, because most specialties will get you there early enough to miss the worst of the morning commute and you'll go home post-call against traffic.

I live in Normandy Isle: nice community, reasonable cost of living and fairly close to the hospital. Plenty of places to rent or buy along 71st on the beach. 12 minutes to the hospital at 5 a.m. (can't speed b/c of local police) and during afternoon rush hour I avoid I95 and take the side streets.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM.