Where to work before dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted into dental school and will start in August. Does anyone know if there's a job that a pre-dent can get for a few months. I've had a couple interviews and all the employers are saying that they are looking for a long-term person. I've learned not to mention that I'm going to dental school for future interviews, but its difficult to find something now. Does any pre-dental/dental student have any advice on this.

Members don't see this ad.

Try various temp agencies that are looking for people willing to take a short term assignment, likely office work but it's a job and money.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried tutoring but the moment they found out I got into dental school they cut my hours significantly and stopped training me. I asked them about it and they said that they are busy working with other staff for the summer. I ended up leaving instead because I knew it was going to end ugly for me. I'm planning to start at a new tutoring center next week and I'm planning not to tell them anything until July.

Just get a regular job, and give your two weeks notice before dental school.

Reactions: 2 users
Sometimes dental offices or labs will hire subs. I am a hygienist and am subbing until school starts. It actually pays more than a regular hygiene job, but can be sporadic (February was brutal with the bad weather)

If you can afford to just volunteer/shadow, a dental lab will really help with dental school.

I got my medication certification (just a one day class) and worked as a med tech in a local assisted living facility for the elderly before starting dental school. They are always hiring, and you will be so prepared for pathology, pharmacology, taking vital signs and patient management after that.

Be a waiter/bar tender and make some serious cash. It means working while others are having fun, but if you can get a job at a busy place you can get some quick money. It is a job with a fairly high turnover rate so it probably wouldn't be a big deal if you let them know it is a summer job for you.

Reactions: 1 user