Where would YOU go? MWU or Howard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alkh09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have the lucky but extremely difficult decision of picking which dental school to go to between two of them (Midwestern in AZ and Howard in DC). I'm really not sure which one so I'm looking for any opinions, thoughts, comments and I'd really like to hear where YOU would go, if you were in my shoes! I've done a lot of past thread searching on the 2 schools and want to know what you would do if you were choosing between the two. I'm especially curious to hear from any current students / recent grads. Is it a no brainer to just save money bc I'll be a dentist anyway? From my search, I have found less info (and more negative rumors?) about Howard so I'm just asking.

For Midwestern the pros appear to be smoother clinical experience with a newer facility and the boards are taken after the first year, with a summer break built in to study. The biggest con is the cost.

As for Howard, the biggest pro is that the overall amount of loans I would have to take out would be $130K less, and that's not even factoring in interest. As for cons, I was told by dental students directly that only 10% of students graduate on time (which would be May), there aren't enough chairs. I've heard other extra things but not sure how true they are.

Also, MWU has a systems based curriculum while Howard is subject based. Haven't decided which is a pro and which is a con yet. I'm impartial at the moment.

Location wise, I don't mind Arizona, (lived there before), but DC is a big urban city which I like. But I've been told that Howard is not in the best area and it's not like I will have any extra time to spend outside the classroom anyways. I've lived in all kinds of weather and moved around a so I easily adjust to almost all living situations/places.

My biggest dilemma is this: After four years, at MWU I don't want to think, hey I could've gone to Howard and done this whole thing for 130K+ cheaper and I also don't want to say after 4 years at HU, I really wish I had paid extra for a smoother clinical experience and not worrying about graduating on time. SO! Where would you go? Pros and cons for you?

(Please don't rip me apart for the way I might have worded things. I appreciate any kind corrections on any incorrect notions I might have discussed. I'm just looking for opinions on the schools, not judgment on my poor writing and wording.)

Members don't see this ad.

Usually I would say the cheaper school. But if dental students tell you that only 10% graduate on time, there's some major problems with the school. If it was me, I would dish out the extra 130k and go to Midwestern so I can sleep easier at night.

Members don't see this ad :)
As for cons, I was told by dental students directly that only 10% of students graduate on time (which would be May), there aren’t enough chairs.

I wonder how accurate this number is. It could be a slight exaggeration on their part. However, if the actual number is anywhere near this number, I would run run run run away from Howard.

Howard is closer to home, but that is not that big of a factor to me. Flights would be cheaper but I don't plan on going home every break or anything. The HUCD student also said that students don't graduate on time in May but do graduate within a few months. (By summer and fall).

Take it for what it is worth. Both schools will provide you with the opportunity to gain a DDS and both schools will allow you to practice dentistry. $130,000 is a lot of money and is the same amount that I pay for my tuition alone. Neither choice will be perfect. You will like some things about MWU and hate other things and you will like some things about HU and hate other things. The goal is, is that you don't hate it more than you like it because then you will be depressed for 2 years until you hit clinic. The truth of the matter is, is that you won't know what you actually hate and like until your there and by then your stuck. As far as the stats go about HU graduation rate--I think that is true but I think it is due to the students inability to manage how to get out of the program and the patients that they eventually picked. On another note, it says that 90% graduate on time, which is not that bad. Just make sure your that 90%. Also, I hear that MWU offers tutoring to students who may struggle with a subject or two. Its nice to have a good support system at your school.

You have a choice to be a dentist so either way you can't go terribly wrong.

Student Doc

Go to Howard. You can buy a porsche with that extra money that didn't go into MWU

:thumbup:

If you could save that much money in loans, I'd definitely choose Howard, regardless of reputation/rumors, and clinical/lab experience.

However, if cost wasn't a factor (like if you were doing a military scholarship like I am), it'd be MWU-AZ hands down; should you decide to attend, I'll be seeing you this August. ;)

Honestly at the end of the day, you must pick what school "feels" right for you. I remember going to MD and Howard for interviews and I felt my fit at Howard despite MD costing much less. I loved the family atmosphere and values held here.... And to the 10% graduation rate--> does that even make any sense? but I suppose rumors will always exist for every place.
For all the money that you are paying, if MYU feels right--> go there bc u dont want to regret. If Howard is right, then welcome! Either way, Best of Luck!

Great reply. There is too many people bashing either Meharry or Howard and we all know why. On a side note, any dental school will open up doors for you. Just embrace your choice and make the best out of it. Oh and congrats on becoming a student doctor.