JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Your opinions? And why? Thanks!:luck:
You should do a search ... this subject has been covered, many, many times. The consensus is usually ... it's pretty subjunctive and about where you get in, look for good 3/4 years, etc.

drctother

5+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2009
Unknown
Status
Medical Student
Although I am fairly new to researching DO (like less than 6 months), I have definitely come to the same conclusion as JaggerPlate (who by the way has some ridiculous amount of posts on here, I always see him answering the harder, less obvious questions).

It definitely comes down to what YOU want. Consider these factors:
1) Where do you want to practice after DO school?
2) Cost? Both for living and the school
3) Can you see yourself living in the city where the school is? (Arizona/Cali weather Vs Lake Erie/ New England)
4) Does it matter to u if the school is new or older/ more established?

Its really what YOU want, because at the end of the day...its your life.

Maybe tell people what you are looking for, and I think people can get some more specific answers:)

Feb 12, 2010
Status
you will be a doc no matter where you go, but i'm looking for a school that has a strong reputation and strong connections for rotations during 3rd and 4th year.

SolidWater

Anesthesiology Resident
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
-

Last edited:

Dr Skeptismo

5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2010
Status
Since people keep bumping this thread, and in case you haven't searched yet, there's a current thread in the osteopathic forum addressing the exact same issue. Although in my fair, balanced, and unbiased opinion, CCOM is hands down the best by such a large margin that it's altogether in a completely separate category.

Last edited:

SolidWater

Anesthesiology Resident
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
-

Last edited:

SolidWater

Anesthesiology Resident
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Last edited:

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status
Attending Physician
Let me be clear on this (which has been discussed many many times before):

STUDENTS choose what residency to go into. Your school does not. If you don't want to do FM, then don't apply for FM. Do well on your boards, don't fail them, don't fail classes, get good LORs and you can apply for whatever you want. Look at the recent match lists being posted in the Osteo forum. Neurosurgery at Loma Linda. Several Derm. Rad Onc. Rads. All ACGME (if that matters to you). Bottom line, the students are getting WHAT THEY APPLIED FOR and WHAT THEY CHOSE.

Everyone in my class that went into FM WANTED TO. Let's also be clear: IM isn't necessarily primary care. It is the gateway to cardiology, GI, pulmonary, critical care, nephrology, etc.

So. Study hard. Get good grades. Don't fail classes. Get good board scores. Get good LORs. Apply broadly for residency. And you'll do fine. And who knows - you might surprise yourself and find you like FM. (several in my class did exactly that - MS1: "I'll *never* do FM!" Flash forward: MS4: "I'm applying for FM because I found I really had fun and enjoyed it!")

May 22, 2009
Status
Since people keep bumping this thread, and in case you haven't searched yet, there's a current thread in the osteopathic forum addressing the exact same issue. Although in my fair, balanced, and unbiased opinion, DMU is hands down the best by such a large margin that it's altogether in a completely separate category.
i understand that D is next to C on the keyboard so i can see where you made the initial mistake. fixed it. your welcome.

Everglide

EM PGY3
10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Why is that? Other than the obvious that you're going there...

Better than AZCOM? Same university/curriculum I'd think right? :confused:
Sarcasm me thinks ^_^

Well I meant similar to where I've seen elsewhere (maybe on the MSAR i saw it?) where a percentage is given of what residencies graduates got into from each school.

I know by and large DOs seem to go into primary care, but I don't want to do family practice. I want to go into cardiology or emergency medicine, and don't want a DO on the end of my name to prevent residencies from taking me into their programs (as this is what I've heard from med students and here on SDN).
Based on this year's match results, your individual performance (class, boards, etc) is what matters.

Dr Skeptismo

5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2010
Status
Not taking my frustration out on you specifically, but with that other thread, and by and large all threads I "SEARCH" for, I get nothing but garbage because sure, there will be maybe 10 threads related to what I want to know, but 90% will have people saying "search for it, another thread already exists!" for 10 posts, meaning I have to search through what boils down to diluted crap just to find a simple answer.

I guess it's unavoidable when you have a perpetual influx of newbies each year... :oops:
I imagine it was simply answered the first time the question was asked. It gets diluted because it was then asked again and again and again in new threads every week since the creation of SDN. Hence, people get mad at posters who dilute the search function even further by starting another thread on the same topic. If people had just added to the first thread this question was asked in, your search would reveal one thread with pages upon pages of relevant info from years past to the present.

Alas, with every new thread the answer is addressed, just never to the satisfaction of the OP. This is because there is no perfect formal ranking. You want what doesn't exist. Every ranking is thus subjective based on the desires and goals of each poster. The criteria of what makes a school best is different for everyone. Some like older more established schools, some like the idea of newer schools. Some want primary care, some want neurosurg or derm. You would be better off listing your specific desires and then asking which school fits those criteria best.

Also, you must not have perused the link I provided very thoroughly. After one or two posts flaming the OP, it goes on for another 1.5 pages discussing subjective merits of different schools. Good luck, and I'll look forward to addressing this topic next week.

Last edited:

scaredoflife

Eaaagglleee
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2007
Status
Medical Student
i understand that D is next to C on the keyboard so i can see where you made the initial mistake. fixed it. your welcome.
LOL :cool: for the change in comment slick move. The top medical schools listed on US News include PCOM, LECOM, VCOM, WVSOM this is along with other MD schools as well. This ratings is based on:

"A medical career starts with finding the program that best fits your needs. With U.S. News's rankings, narrow your search by location, tuition, school size, and test scores. Plus, see the top schools in specialties such as family medicine, pediatrics, and women's health. "

If you want to confirm.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/items

Last edited:

PunkmedGirl

Freshman Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Let me be clear on this (which has been discussed many many times before):

STUDENTS choose what residency to go into. Your school does not. If you don't want to do FM, then don't apply for FM. Do well on your boards, don't fail them, don't fail classes, get good LORs and you can apply for whatever you want. Look at the recent match lists being posted in the Osteo forum. Neurosurgery at Loma Linda. Several Derm. Rad Onc. Rads. All ACGME (if that matters to you). Bottom line, the students are getting WHAT THEY APPLIED FOR and WHAT THEY CHOSE.

Everyone in my class that went into FM WANTED TO. Let's also be clear: IM isn't necessarily primary care. It is the gateway to cardiology, GI, pulmonary, critical care, nephrology, etc.

So. Study hard. Get good grades. Don't fail classes. Get good board scores. Get good LORs. Apply broadly for residency. And you'll do fine. And who knows - you might surprise yourself and find you like FM. (several in my class did exactly that - MS1: "I'll *never* do FM!" Flash forward: MS4: "I'm applying for FM because I found I really had fun and enjoyed it!")
Well I meant similar to where I've seen elsewhere (maybe on the MSAR i saw it?) where a percentage is given of what residencies graduates got into from each school.

I know by and large DOs seem to go into primary care, but I don't want to do family practice. I want to go into cardiology or emergency medicine, and don't want a DO on the end of my name to prevent residencies from taking me into their programs (as this is what I've heard from med students and here on SDN).
Solid the above post by ShyRem explains it all.

Mar 5, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Since people keep bumping this thread, and in case you haven't searched yet, there's a current thread in the osteopathic forum addressing the exact same issue. Although in my fair, balanced, and unbiased opinion, CCOM is hands down the best by such a large margin that it's altogether in a completely separate category.
Frickin' hilarious! :rofl: DMU is my top choice too but so many factors go into choosing medical schools that everyone has different opinions, I guess.

scaredoflife

Eaaagglleee
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2007
Status
Medical Student

MedStudentWanna

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2006
Status
LOL :cool: for the change in comment slick move. The top medical schools listed on US News include PCOM, LECOM, VCOM, WVSOM this is along with other MD schools as well. This ratings is based on:

"A medical career starts with finding the program that best fits your needs. With U.S. News’s rankings, narrow your search by location, tuition, school size, and test scores. Plus, see the top schools in specialties such as family medicine, pediatrics, and women's health. "

If you want to confirm.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/items
Um, that was a directory index. Most, if not all, medical schools were on that list. Further, the rankings you're speaking of from U.S. News don't rank osteopathic schools except to say which ones turn out the most primary care doctors. That's it. There's no other formal ranking.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
There's no real ranking. However without a doubt the best DO schools are PCOM,DMU,CCOM,TCOM,KCOM,KCUMB. They are the oldest and most well established, and have the best clinical rotations of most DO schools. However with the exception of Tcom, those schools are also the most expensive.

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
There's no real ranking. However without a doubt the best DO schools are PCOM,DMU,CCOM,TCOM,KCOM,KCUMB. They are the oldest and most well established, and have the best clinical rotations of most DO schools. However with the exception of Tcom, those schools are also the most expensive.
Good list ... if we've resorted to making them. I'd add UMDNJ (that's right elf, I said it), and probably NSUCOM.

RevDoc

Class of 2014
Oct 28, 2009
Status
Medical Student
If you care about residency match lists, pass rate on boards, faculty, and definitely cost - then Ok State has got to be in your discussion. Not to mention, its 1 of 2 state schools in Ok and therefore gets great students by virtue of 90% IS enrollment rules.

That last stat is why OSU and TCOM dont usually get love for "ranking" lists among premeds (dont like discrimination).

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
If you care about residency match lists, pass rate on boards, faculty, and definitely cost - then Ok State has got to be in your discussion. Not to mention, its 1 of 2 state schools in Ok and therefore gets great students by virtue of 90% IS enrollment rules.

That last stat is why OSU and TCOM dont usually get love for "ranking" lists among premeds (dont like discrimination).
You're right ... OSU is a great program. I just don't think it gets the recognition because, like you said, it's almost all IS.

MalachiConstant

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Ditto for OUCOM. It has an excellent system for clinical rotations, is state supported, has tons of research opportunities, great COMLEX pass rates, but lacks notoriety due to the significant in-state bias. I'm glad to be one of the OOS'ers who got in.

MC

Sep 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Essentially, we've come down to most of the D.O. schools getting into the top 5, hahaha. But, based on $$$, faculty, board scores (pass rate), and rotation availability--Oklahoma State Medical because it covers three of those four just as good as anyone else. The IS tuition, I've heard, is redonculous. good day mate

elftown

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Good list ... if we've resorted to making them. I'd add UMDNJ (that's right elf, I said it), and probably NSUCOM.
:D

I still haven't decided where I'll be attending, but I defend UMDNJ-SOM like it's my baby. :)

Vvandenn

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
But the top school will be whatever one I get into. I highly doubt I'll get into TCOM anyway, unless I really surprise myself with my MCAT performance in August/September.

ttjones

Accepted
Dec 4, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Essentially, we've come down to most of the D.O. schools getting into the top 5, hahaha. But, based on $$$, faculty, board scores (pass rate), and rotation availability--Oklahoma State Medical because it covers three of those four just as good as anyone else. The IS tuition, I've heard, is redonculous. good day mate
I 2nd!!

TheTinker

10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2009
Chicago
Status
Pre-Medical
In my completely unbiased opinion :laugh: I would have to go with CCOM, hands down!

Longshanks

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2009
New York
Status
Medical Student
You wouldn't add NYCOM to that list? They have good rotation sites in the NYC/LI region, is an established school, in the group of 'older' DO schools, strong match lists (and yes I know match lists are more a reflection of student interests than the school, but I'm more talking about the quality of hospitals people get residencies into) etc.

dweji16

5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Is Western considered up there too? Trying to wind down my list of schools to apply to.. hmmmmmm

jkmph

https://www.sportsmedreview.com
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2009
Northeast
www.sportsmedreview.com
Status
Medical Student
Jeez, someones gotta pitch in a +1 for UNECOM, so I guess that'd have to be me.

Although Shyrem's post is a de facto nod, it's not explicit enough for my tastes.

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Western and NYCOM are both extremely solid ... I wouldn't ever discourage someone from going to either school. This is the fallacy with this argument. Good schools are left off every list, people rank by different things (location, old schools, state schools, etc), and it just ends up in a mega-list, where essentially every DO school can get on. Hahaha. It would probably be easier to create a list asking what schools to avoid, and asking for FIRST hand knowledge as to why. This however, may create move controversy. This or, when you list the 'best' schools, include a sub-category as to why (ie: PCOM, KCOM, and CCOM are good b/c they are old and therefore have their acts together, etc).

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Is Western considered up there too? Trying to wind down my list of schools to apply to.. hmmmmmm
Westerns a great school. But its a newer school which more people apply to from instate Cali then anywhere else. If your from Cali and want to practice in Cali then its going to be a good place to apply. If you like Cali, go ahead and put it on your list.
My list primarily just has the DO schools which are the oldest's and most well established. It might not be smart to say this blanket statement, but I feel like schools like PCOM, CCOM, KCOM are so well established that there curriculum and clinical rotations are better.
However this is all subjective, you really can't rank schools like this for everyone. For me personally I see these schools are good because of many reasons. However I know if Vcom was like a mile away from my house I'd be trying everything I can and go there.
So take what I say with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I fail to see how students do not include MSU COM as one of the top DO programs. I think people forget about it because they accept mostly IS students. Here are some reasons:

-we take some classes with MD students
-there is a statewide campus with 23 base hospitals, if a student is aiming to have a certain clinical experience they will be able to, all rotations are set up for you or you can have a few away electives too
-it is Big 10 school and is nationally recognized, when I went on interviews at some of the other private DO programs, most people (even physicians) had never heard of them
-we are rated very highly for primary care, but also have students matching into some excellent specialties

I am not bashing on other programs because there are some great DO schools out there. I was just curious why people forget about MSU COM.

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I fail to see how students do not include MSU COM as one of the top DO programs. I think people forget about it because they accept mostly IS students. Here are some reasons:

-there is a statewide campus with 23 base hospitals, if a student is aiming to have a certain clinical experience they will be able to, all rotations are set up for you or you can have a few away electives too
-it is Big 10 school and is nationally recognized, when I went on interviews at some of the other private DO programs, most people (even physicians) had never heard of them
-we are rated very highly for primary care, but also have students matching into some excellent specialties

I am not bashing on other programs because there are some great DO schools out there. I was just curious why people forget about MSU COM.
We'll add it to the list ... lol

This is my point though. MSU is a great school, but it's categorized as being great because it's a well-known state school, the same way KCOM/PCOM are categorized as great because they are old and well established. This thing gets too muddled without sub-categories of greatness!!

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student

It's not included because it accepts mostly Instate and for out of state it costs 60k. If your a in stater then it's a good school. For the rest of us there's not much point applying or going there for that much debt. Also because its in the cold lands :smuggrin:.
And since most of us can't get into Msu-com we don't really talk about it. As such more people consider the other schools which more people go to and consider them as the top schools.

dr.z

10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
Detroit, MI
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
It's not included because it accepts mostly Instate and for out of state it costs 60k. If your a in stater then it's a good school. For the rest of us there's not much point applying or going there for that much debt. Also because its in the cold lands :smuggrin:.
And since most of us can't get into Msu-com we don't really talk about it. As such more people consider the other schools which more people go to and consider them as the top schools.
I'm going to pay out of state tuition! I don't mind the cold because I'll be indoors studying most of the time. I felt it was an honor to be accepted there as an out of state student.

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I'm going to pay out of state tuition! I don't mind the cold because I'll be indoors studying most of the time. I felt it was an honor to be accepted there as an out of state student.
I'm not trying to pry, but isn't it almost $60,000???

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I'd be reluctant to pay 60k tuition. Thats 60k x 4 = 240k debt + living expenses maybe 15k a year? So you'll be getting out of 300k debt. That's a hell of a lot....