Which Class will help me for the MCAT? Behavioral or Molecular?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is more relevant to the MCAT, Behavioral Neuroscience or Molecular Neuroscience?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

concerned premed student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will take the MCAT in April and that's my priority. So I will only take one core to my neuroscience major: behavioral neuroscience or molecular neuroscience. I originally chose behavioral because it would be easier hence less time consuming, but does any one think that molecular would help me more in preping for the MCAT? It will certainly be more time consuming but if it'll help me, then I wouldn't mind it.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think one is going to be particularly better than the other for MCAT prep. Only a few topics from either class may ever even show up, and it'll be very basic things like membrane potentials or hormonal control. I'd take the one you think you'll get the best grade in.

Really doubt either one of them will help. By the time you get into upper division specialty sciences, you're not really learning anything that can help you with the MCAT. I'm taking two grad courses this semester: Personal Genomics and Molecular Medicine and Principles of Disease and I'm thinking that neither of them are going to prepare me for the biology section whatsoever.

Members don't see this ad :)
Behavioral neuroscience may come in handy for the psychology portion of MCAT!!

I was a psychology major, but havent taken the MCAT yet. I took a class called Biopsychology in college that required a book called Behavioral Neuroscience. Seems to have a lot of concepts in the MCAT prep book for behavioral sciences.

Molecular will help with the bio section

Behavioral will help with the psych section

Neither. Neuroscience only makes a portion of that 5-10% of biology on the psych section. Take the easier one for you or maybe that one that gets you reading more.