Which Classes to Take for Do-it-yourself Postbacc if you Options are Limited

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donttouchmybutton

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background:

I'm planning on taking classes starting in the summer to boost my undergrad GPA past the 3.0 mark. I only need to take 13 quarter hours (~9 semester hours) to get my science and overall undergrad GPA past a 3.0. I have a master's degree in statistics with a 3.9 GPA, so I'm taking classes less to redeem myself academically (although that's definitely still a goal), and more to get pass the filters. I have all my prereqs from undergrad, but I did get a C in Ochem II, Physics II, and 3 of my upper division biology classes. I'm taking the MCAT in May, and so far I've been doing really well on practice exams (been studying since September, so I would hope as much).

The issue:

I've read that it's best to take upper division biology classes for improving your GPA if you have all your prereqs, now that grade replacement for DO is not an option. The issue is that my local university is extremely competitive. I've applied to matriculate as a postbacc, but they only accept a handful off postbacc applicants each year so my chances of matriculating are slim. I can try to take classes as a nonmatriculant, but would need to get department approval, instructor approval, and wait for classes to start to make sure I'm not taking a spot away from a matriculant, and none of these things are guaranteed. There is also a local community college, but they mainly offer lower division classes. There is also a schedule constraint as I work full time, and while I can fit a class in my work schedule, I can't schedule classes during important weekly meetings.

The question:

Given my options may be limited, is it okay to take science courses that may not be fully applicable to medicine? Like if plant biology or ornithology are open, would it be okay to take these courses, or would that possible be frowned upon by admissions? What about retaking the prereqs I did poorly in at the community college; would this be preferable?

TLDR: given limited course options, is it okay to take somewhat irrelevant science courses (e.g. plant biology) to boost a low GPA?

Members don't see this ad.