Which DO schools place emphasis on GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HenryH

AA-S
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a pretty good GPA (usually hovers above 3.6) and already know I'll bomb the MCAT, so which DO schools weigh GPA more heavily than MCAT scores in the applicant evaluation process?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll doubt you'll get any sort of concrete answer as to whether a specific school weighs one more than another unless an ADCOM comes on and posts their "secret" formula.

Bigger question though..... Why do you think you'll bomb the MCAT? If you truly think you'll bomb it (lack of prep, etc.) and not just going through the normal jitters than why would even take it now?!?! Postpone it, prepare properly and then take it when you're ready. Being out the $$ is a lot better than getting sunk by a low MCAT score that could have been avoided.

How do you know you'll bomb the MCAT? Have you taken practice tests and studied? It's very easy to raise your first practice test score 5-6 points by preparing for the actual test.

Members don't see this ad :)
All of them :D. No seriously, apply broadly, have some good LORs, show them you know something about DOs and try to have some good ECs and you should be fine. Most DO schools like to see the whole applicant rather than just their numbers. So Just have everything else and you will good to go. Good luck :thumbup:

I have a pretty good GPA (usually hovers above 3.6) and already know I'll bomb the MCAT, so which DO schools weigh GPA more heavily than MCAT scores in the applicant evaluation process?

Im not sure on MCAT vs. GPA stuff. Simply because of the increasing # of apps for DO and MD, the entering statistics are getting higher and higher. That being said, I believe KCUMB looks "closer" at science GPA than most other schools. Specifically, if you received good grades in their entering requirements of Genetics and Biochemistry, then perhaps a lower MCAT will not be as damaging to your app.

:luck:

Thanks for the responses; the reason I know I'll bomb the MCAT is because I haven't learned a THING in organic chem. 1 and II (which ends this semester) thanks to the worst non-teacher I've ever had. Sure, I know -- it's my responsibility to teach myself everything if the professor teaches nothing, but I'm just not into that. :-/

Im not sure on MCAT vs. GPA stuff. Simply because of the increasing # of apps for DO and MD, the entering statistics are getting higher and higher. That being said, I believe KCUMB looks "closer" at science GPA than most other schools. Specifically, if you received good grades in their entering requirements of Genetics and Biochemistry, then perhaps a lower MCAT will not be as damaging to your app.

:luck:

i heard des moines was more MD-like when it comes to statistics as well.

Thanks for the responses; the reason I know I'll bomb the MCAT is because I haven't learned a THING in organic chem. 1 and II (which ends this semester) thanks to the worst non-teacher I've ever had. Sure, I know -- it's my responsibility to teach myself everything if the professor teaches nothing, but I'm just not into that. :-/

Can you do a review course? If not get some study material and go over that.

With the MCAT you pretty much know what's going to be on the test and can focus your studying to those concepts that will be on there.

Orgo comprises a very small portion of the Biological Sciences section of the MCAT. I would suggest you get some prep books and study the hell out of the orgo section if that's where your weakness is. Personally I bombed Orgo in undergrad, but it turned out my coursework was more complex and difficult than the orgo you are expected to know for the MCAT. And I still got into DO school ;) Good luck!! :luck::thumbup:

Orgo comprises a very small portion of the Biological Sciences section of the MCAT. I would suggest you get some prep books and study the hell out of the orgo section if that's where your weakness is. Personally I bombed Orgo in undergrad, but it turned out my coursework was more complex and difficult than the orgo you are expected to know for the MCAT. And I still got into DO school ;) Good luck!! :luck::thumbup:

Agree. MCAT orgo was pretty basic. If it was complex, then what you needed to find the solution was in the passage. Then it comes down to critical thinking and reasoning rather than if you aced org. chem or not.

while I was taking an mcat course from kaplan, they stated that the test was moving away from organic questions and switching with genetics questions....not sure if anyone can confirm, but this is just what i heard

Members don't see this ad :)

Sounds like your cup is always half full. ;)

Honestly HenryH, I think you have more things stacked against you then your mcat score

a) Of course you will bomb the MCAT you are already setting yourself up to bomb it and make excuses to not work your little a$$ off to do the best you can.
b) In continuation of the above, med school is not about hand holding it is about being self-motivated and again working your a$$ of regardless of what obstacles must lie in your way.

Making excuses to preform poorly or choosing a school just because the might have low enough standards to let you in even if you do poorly is a sad commentary on you and your character.

I think you need to rethink your motivations and your plans and maybe re-evaluate your goals

Honestly HenryH, I think you have more things stacked against you then your mcat score

a) Of course you will bomb the MCAT you are already setting yourself up to bomb it and make excuses to not work your little a$$ off to do the best you can.
b) In continuation of the above, med school is not about hand holding it is about being self-motivated and again working your a$$ of regardless of what obstacles must lie in your way.

Making excuses to preform poorly or choosing a school just because the might have low enough standards to let you in even if you do poorly is a sad commentary on you and your character.

I think you need to rethink your motivations and your plans and maybe re-evaluate your goals
LOVES this advice. seriously. listen to the intellectual waves washing over you at this crucial juncture. you need more trench work.

If you think you are going to "bomb" the MCAT, do not take it yet. Fix the problems and practice more. Get the help that you need. Take lots of practice tests and when you are scoring as well as you think you can, consistantly, then consider taking it.

The application process is pretty unforgiving; you do not want to plan on reapplying...the whole process is a pain in the ***. You need to have everything as good as you can get it. Whatever is the weakest, that's what will stand out like a soar thumb. Contrary to popular belief, one element of an application will not necessarily and/or readily compensate for a poor showing in another. You can overcome your roadblocks in most cases, but you have to be willing to do the work.

Good luck to you.

There is NO school which allows you to "bomb" the MCAT and still get in. Especially if your GPA hovers around a 3.6. The average GPA these days is about a 3.5 and increasing. There are soooo many applicants these days that the days of making up for a bad MCAT with a decent GPA are over. Less than 7,000 people applied when the class of 2003 entered med school. The class of 2008 has more than 12,000 applicants. People are turned away every day with 27 and 28 MCATs because they don't have the "whole package". To get accepted these days, you can't count on having any difficiencies. Yes, there are outliers, but 11,999 other people are working their butts off to get in. If they have a bad professor, they're finding another way to learn it. You have to do the same too.

Are there more physics than organic chemistry questions on the test? For those who have taken it, which subject is more emphasized?

Are there more physics than organic chemistry questions on the test? For those who have taken it, which subject is more emphasized?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I think I remember that it is ROUGHLY:

BS - 25% Organic Chem, 75% Biology
PS - 50% Gen Chem, 50% Physics

That would make for more physics questions than organic questions.

Just so you know, I don't know a THING about orgo.. never did.. failed the class.. then C.. and got a pity pass in II (literally i think the prof just bumped me up.. cause i never got higher than a D on anything).. i didn't know a single orgo question on the mcat (and mine actually had quite a few at least 3 passages worth).. and hey, i still got an 8 on the section.

my point is. make up your deficiencies in other areas.. like study other bio harder.

i heard des moines was more MD-like when it comes to statistics as well.

If you apply early with sincere interest in the school bla bla DO all the way bla bla, subpar stats can get you in. Apply late then we turn down 27+, 3.6+ likes its going out of style.

True story- I was talking with a girl on here about her app, she had like a 3.8 and 28 everything else was perfect and she was nice person (met at interview) but applied late, outcome is she got waitlist....it really blew my mind.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I think I remember that it is ROUGHLY:

BS - 25% Organic Chem, 75% Biology
PS - 50% Gen Chem, 50% Physics

That would make for more physics questions than organic questions.

I had "heard" that they bumped up Orgo up to 30-35%. I think I had 3 passages and a few stand alone Q's.

I had "heard" that they bumped up Orgo up to 30-35%. I think I had 3 passages and a few stand alone Q's.

This is bad news. How hard is the physics material? Is it feasible to self-teach the principles of physics to myself (will not be able to take physics before 4th year)?

Just so you know, I don't know a THING about orgo.. never did.. failed the class.. then C.. and got a pity pass in II (literally i think the prof just bumped me up.. cause i never got higher than a D on anything).. i didn't know a single orgo question on the mcat (and mine actually had quite a few at least 3 passages worth).. and hey, i still got an 8 on the section.

my point is. make up your deficiencies in other areas.. like study other bio harder.

Wow. Just wow. I have no words. :eek:

Just kidding. :laugh: I can't believe someone actually feels the same way about o chem as I do!! I also don't get Physics I. Physics II I'm fine with. Just say the word trajectory and I'm lost. :smuggrin:

Wow. Just wow. I have no words. :eek:

Just kidding. :laugh: I can't believe someone actually feels the same way about o chem as I do!! I also don't get Physics I. Physics II I'm fine with. Just say the word trajectory and I'm lost. :smuggrin:

I abhorred physics. Everything else I liked...even organic. Physics I was CRAP! Physics 2, I agree, wasn't that bad. EWWWWW! So glad it's over. :smuggrin:

Not to hijack the thread, but how can anyone be fine with Physics II? I see triangles and I freak out!

This is bad news. How hard is the physics material? Is it feasible to self-teach the principles of physics to myself (will not be able to take physics before 4th year)?

It varies from person to person. Physics I and II were easier for me than Chemistry. My MCAT had some pretty tough stoic on it. Physics I, (not so much II), you can picture it in your head which always seemed to help me. Chem just sucked. By the way, dont waste your time memorizing constants. Memorize formulas, constants should be provided in passage.

MCAT physics is a joke. Don't get psyched out by tricky-looking passages and diagrams. That is how the MCAT disguises easy questions as hard ones. That is why I didn't finish like 10 problems on my PS section... I saved the easy stuff for the end and didn't manage my time very well.

don't worry too much about your MCAT or GPA. Just be able to bench press 300 lbs and you'll be set. :)

That is a pretty ridiculous reason to think you'll "bomb" it. I haven't even had organic II and I got a 36 on my practice exam today...

It varies from person to person. Physics I and II were easier for me than Chemistry. My MCAT had some pretty tough stoic on it. Physics I, (not so much II), you can picture it in your head which always seemed to help me. Chem just sucked. By the way, dont waste your time memorizing constants. Memorize formulas, constants should be provided in passage.

Lately I am realizing that memorizing most formulas is a waste too. Obviously there are recurring ones, but I am starting to realize that I can get nearly every answer by being given the units and nothing else.

If you apply early with sincere interest in the school bla bla DO all the way bla bla, subpar stats can get you in. Apply late then we turn down 27+, 3.6+ likes its going out of style.

True story- I was talking with a girl on here about her app, she had like a 3.8 and 28 everything else was perfect and she was nice person (met at interview) but applied late, outcome is she got waitlist....it really blew my mind.

well thats good to hear. i will be applying very early (ACOMAS submitted in early June) and then will just be waiting on my MCAT score whih i take in late May. i am very interested in the school, for multiple rasons.... i was even ready to apply to Des Moines via early admission, but i was convinced otherwise.

ill be keepin my fingers crossed! and if i do get in, will have to prepare for the journey to Iowa!!! yikes!!!

That is a pretty ridiculous reason to think you'll "bomb" it. I haven't even had organic II and I got a 36 on my practice exam today...

PohPoh, what practice test did you take? I need to start testing myself...

Take as many practice tests as you can get your hands on.

PohPoh, what practice test did you take? I need to start testing myself...

I'm doing what Tex there suggested and taking everything I can get my hands on. Right now I'm exclusively aamc stuff. I think that was aamc 10 if I recall. When all is said and done, I'll have taken the aamc's almost all at least 3 times along with about 3 kaplan ones and an examkracker paper one. To keep verbal sharp I exhausted the kaplan verbal passages on qbank, along with the book they gave us plus all the tests. Honestly, at this point I'm not worried about repeating because there are so many questions that I can't remember most, and I def. can't remember the answer. I usually remember there was a trick, but that ends up messing me up more than helping. Repeating isn't an issue for me because aside from the random discrete questions, most everything will have been asked in some form on one of the 7+ practice exams before, it is just remembering how to answer it. The important thing for me if I do remember the answer is to go through and explain to myself WHY that is the answer. Everything I do now is timed. I have rarely touched subject books in the last month since it is low yield for me....buuuuuut this is all a discussion best left for mcat forums probably. ;)

I plan to stop when I can consistently get around a 40 on the practice tests, which will translate to less on the actual thing but it is good for a morale boost and confidence.

I was told by the admissions director at VCOM that they do not care much about the MCAT. The Dean of the school actually hates the test and therefore their admissions department does not heavily weight the test in their decisions. From some of the people that I have seen get in there, GPA and extracurriculars are pretty much everything. One thing that helps, if you feel you are deficient in some area, just contact a school and talk to them. Some may not talk to you much, but others will discuss how to improve your app and what they are looking for. If you build a relationship it can sometimes get you through screens or reviews. Every little bit helps.

I was told by the admissions director at VCOM that they do not care much about the MCAT. The Dean of the school actually hates the test and therefore their admissions department does not heavily weight the test in their decisions. From some of the people that I have seen get in there, GPA and extracurriculars are pretty much everything. One thing that helps, if you feel you are deficient in some area, just contact a school and talk to them. Some may not talk to you much, but others will discuss how to improve your app and what they are looking for. If you build a relationship it can sometimes get you through screens or reviews. Every little bit helps.

I just read this on VCOM's website. :thumbup:

I suppose I could just maintain my GPA so that it's always higher than or at least 3.6 and just do buttloads and buttloads of shadowing and volunteering. Maybe I'll also write some heartfelt "health care in your community" articles for the local newspaper.

And then I'll HOPE TO GOD that VCOM accepts me...

Well, if you have a 3.6 then you shouldn't have any problem getting a 25+ score with decent amount of effort or your 3.6 doesn't say much.

Well, if you have a 3.6 then you shouldn't have any problem getting a 25+ score with decent amount of effort or your 3.6 doesn't say much.

I have forgotten nearly everything I learned in biology and general chemistry, and organic chemistry class has been a total joke in which the teacher has hardly taught a single thing (but he randomly hands out A's and B's, so no problem). And I haven't taken physics yet and won't be able to due to schedule conflicts...

So I guess you could say that my 3.6 doesn't say much.

the answer to the question at hand is "all of them place an emphasis on GPA".

glad I could help!

Has anyone ever just "taken the plunge" and taken the test without doing any practice exams or material review?

I had a buddy who took it cold and got a 31, but I don't recommend you try that.

Has anyone ever just "taken the plunge" and taken the test without doing any practice exams or material review?

Sure, you can take the plunge, I'd be very surprised if you scored anything higher than a 18. Seriously, if you study for a month and revise all the concept you learned earlier, you should be able to get a 24 at least. You would have to brush up your biology anyways for med school, might as well start with the MCAT.

How did you guys study for the MCAT? Did you read through the Kaplan book and re-memorize the main topics, rules, etc. of each subject and just take a bunch of practice tests? Seems like the only way to really go about doing it is to re-learn/memorize all the important topics of each subject and make sure you know how the passage material might apply them...

How did you guys study for the MCAT? Did you read through the Kaplan book and re-memorize the main topics, rules, etc. of each subject and just take a bunch of practice tests? Seems like the only way to really go about doing it is to re-learn/memorize all the important topics of each subject and make sure you know how the passage material might apply them...

Go here.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=31

It's the MCAT forum. Everyone there is preparing for the MCAT and you can get study tips, what to focus on, what to memorize, what to know cold, how to practice, what to shoot for, test-taking strategies, etc.