Which GPA is more important: undergrad vs. post bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicolek817

Reaction score
Hi! I graduated (Johns Hopkins) with a cGPA of 3.42 after only taking 2 premed classes. I had an upward trend, my last 3 semesters being 3.87, 3.93, and 4.0. I ended up doing a formal postbacc (USC) of 30 credits (Bio, O Chem 2 semesters, Gen chem 1 semester, Physics 2 semesters, Biochem 1 semester, Microbiology 1 quarter). I finished my post bacc with a 4.0. If I combine my cGPA from bacc and post bacc I have a 3.56, and sGPA 3.69. My MCAT score was a 521.

My advisor told me that the GPAs aren't combined. Does anyone know if one GPA is considered more strongly than the other? I'm really struggling with figuring out what my target schools are.

My extracurriculars include 2 years of Varsity sports in college, 1 year of clinical experience (paid full time), 1 semester of clinical research, 400+ hours of community service (plus 200 hours of scribing in a free clinic as a volunteer), and I will be a full time clinical research assistant for this year.

Members don't see this ad.

On the AMCAS, post-bacc GPA is calculated into undergrad GPA and then each year of undergrad is delineated further by year, including a year for post-bacc. As such, your post-bacc GPA will be calculated into your "cumulative undergraduate GPA." Graduate programs, like Masters, are not included in the cumulative undergrad GPA.

As for which is more important, I'd imagine it differs depending on the adcom, but it is my understanding (as just a lowly MS0) that more recent coursework is given more weight. My GPA, post-bacc or otherwise, never came up in interviews.

Hi! I graduated (Johns Hopkins) with a cGPA of 3.42 after only taking 2 premed classes. I had an upward trend, my last 3 semesters being 3.87, 3.93, and 4.0. I ended up doing a formal postbacc (USC) of 30 credits (Bio, O Chem 2 semesters, Gen chem 1 semester, Physics 2 semesters, Biochem 1 semester, Microbiology 1 quarter). I finished my post bacc with a 4.0. If I combine my cGPA from bacc and post bacc I have a 3.56, and sGPA 3.69. My MCAT score was a 521.

My advisor told me that the GPAs aren't combined. Does anyone know if one GPA is considered more strongly than the other? I'm really struggling with figuring out what my target schools are.

My extracurriculars include 2 years of Varsity sports in college, 1 year of clinical experience (paid full time), 1 semester of clinical research, 400+ hours of community service (plus 200 hours of scribing in a free clinic as a volunteer), and I will be a full time clinical research assistant for this year.

I don't quite understand what your advisor meant by GPAs aren't combined. On AMCAS, your cGPA and sGPA will be listed by high school (for pre freshman year college courses, first year, second year, third year, fourth year, and postbac). All undergraduate college coursework will be included in the calculation of your undergraduate cGPA and sGPA. Adcoms will be able to see your performance by year and will see an upward trend, especially with your postbac. As for if an admissions committee gives you more credit for an upward trend depends on the committee.

Many schools weight the last 2-3 years more the entire GPA.