which interviews to go on

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Columbia vs Chicago programs? It's very expensive to go to both. I'm leaning towards chicago since nyc is just crazy expensive and they don't have any discounted hotels or nething. this is so tough. if i had unlimited time and money, I'd go to them all but unfortunately i do not.

Members don't see this ad.

I would consider borrowing money to go to those interviews!!!!!! Seriously, the rank game is a twisted one, and you are better off accumulating debt that is easily paid in the future, than to risk all options.

I slept in my car once for an interview to save some money!! and changed my clothes in the washrooms of the hotel (so only paid parking :D)

also, try a website called couchsurfing, I never tried it yet, but it seems solid

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha! wow... that's commitment adagio. But also it's not all financial. I already have a lot of interviews and there's only so much I can endure. I really have to begin the process of weeding out.

Alright, if thats the case (i.e. conflicting dates) this is a whole different story. I was clinging to all interviews that I got.

I cant comment on strength of programs to tell you the truth, as I am an IMG, but lots of the friends on SDN are really experienced, and honestly their advice is gold.

Best of luck

yeah i'm hopin one of the pros can either validate that decision (ie, I'm not making a big mistake for missing Columbia) or tell me that Columbia is so awesome it is a must see even if I don't care for nyc.

If you mean by Chicago, U of Chicago, then man, its a dilemma that you have, but indeed, a sweet sweet sweet dilemma :D

Columbia vs Chicago programs? It's very expensive to go to both. I'm leaning towards chicago since nyc is just crazy expensive and they don't have any discounted hotels or nething. this is so tough. if i had unlimited time and money, I'd go to them all but unfortunately i do not.

I just interviewed at Columbia and it was VERY impressive. I think in terms of reputation, clearly Columbia is the superior choice to any of the Chicago programs. Also, looking at your interviews, would you really rank Chicago programs over some of your other interviews? Probably not. That's the exact reason why I canceled all my Chicago interviews. At least Columbia has a shot of being ranked highly and over some of the other programs I got interviews at.

I just interviewed at Columbia and it was VERY impressive. I think in terms of reputation, clearly Columbia is the superior choice to any of the Chicago programs. Also, looking at your interviews, would you really rank Chicago programs over some of your other interviews? Probably not. That's the exact reason why I canceled all my Chicago interviews. At least Columbia has a shot of being ranked highly and over some of the other programs I got interviews at.

Good point. Yeah, I'm kinda just looking for reasons to cancel now, even when they're not there. I guess it makes more sense to cancel Chi-town although I honestly would prefer the city over NY. I do believe that the program reputation matters more than the city tho!

Mr. Eli Roth made a strong point in convincing me not to seek hostels as possible lodging options

Good point. Yeah, I'm kinda just looking for reasons to cancel now, even when they're not there. I guess it makes more sense to cancel Chi-town although I honestly would prefer the city over NY. I do believe that the program reputation matters more than the city tho!

Look, as long as you are a solid resident, Columbia isn't going to add that much to an application on top of what U of Chicago (or even NWern) would. And before anyone's anus gets all puckered, yes, Columbia is the "bigger name", but it's not like we're comparing Columbia to Mid-Tier State University Program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah .. If only I could get my hands on that (solid resident) magic formula ... oh well, i shall try to figure it out, as the the great Wolf Hoffmann suggests, (just by my own)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W1tdVtZIvs

:)

Show up. Pay attention. Get your work done. Never tell a lie. Never make the same mistake twice. Don't be a douchebag.

That about sums it up.

and I will follow this to the letter. Thanks for the tips :)

I will be stealing this for one of my presentations. I will of course give you credit.

Options include
  1. Orientation
  2. Lectures to med students about residency
  3. "About this program" lecture at the beginning of the interview day

I vote for the last one. Least useful but most fun.

Does Ohio State send out interview date confirmation emails? I'm about to buy a ticket for my interview but never got a confirmation about the scheduled date..

Does Ohio State send out interview date confirmation emails? I'm about to buy a ticket for my interview but never got a confirmation about the scheduled date..

I forgot if they sent out confirmation emails, but I got an interview confirmation along with instructions via snail mail.

yes Ohio State does send out interview confirmation emails if that's what you wanted to know....although I'm not sure there is any program out there besides those with online real time scheduling that does not send a confirmation email...they aren't going to have people send in requests for interview dates, and then just have them randomly guess what day to show up on...if you scheduled very recently, perhaps they did not confirm your date yet...otherwise its probably somewhere in your junk email etc!

Hi friends
I'm a FMG and was trying to organize some places based on the opportunities to secure a competitive fellowship and work environment. Was wondering if someone could help me with these. Thanks
1. Wayne State Uni
2. Creighton
3. UTMB, Galveston
4. University of Arizona
5. Uni of Arkansas
6. Uni of Louisville
7. SUNY Upstate
8. SUNY Buffalo
9. Albert Einstein, PA
10.NYMC Westchester
11.Washington Hospital Center
12. U Conn
13. UAB
14. Cleveland Clinic, Ohio

Hi friends
I'm a FMG and was trying to organize some places based on the opportunities to secure a competitive fellowship and work environment. Was wondering if someone could help me with these. Thanks
1. Wayne State Uni
2. Creighton
3. UTMB, Galveston
4. University of Arizona
5. Uni of Arkansas
6. Uni of Louisville
7. SUNY Upstate
8. SUNY Buffalo
9. Albert Einstein, PA
10.NYMC Westchester
11.Washington Hospital Center
12. U Conn
13. UAB
14. Cleveland Clinic, Ohio

Do you want us to rank them? Or help you cut a few out? I think I'd go to as many as possible.

I would think, based on previous comments:

1- UAB
2- UConn
3- UTMB
4- U Arizona
5- U Louiville
6- Cleveland Clinic
7- U Arkansas
8- Wayne
9- Creighton
10- SUNY Upstate
11-SUNY Buffalo

Dont know how the rest fit

CAVEAT:

this previous ranking is merely inferred from multiple comments here and there. By no means Im pretending to know how to rank!!!

Do you want us to rank them? Or help you cut a few out? I think I'd go to as many as possible.

If you could help me rank them, it would be great. Otherwise, can you please guide me regarding the reputation of Creighton, U Conn, Arizona, Arkansas and Wayne State.

Thanks

1- UAB
2- UConn
3- UTMB
4- U Arizona
5- U Louiville
6- Cleveland Clinic
7- U Arkansas
8- Wayne
9- Creighton
10- SUNY Upstate
11-SUNY Buffalo

Thanks Adagio.

1- UAB
2- UConn
3- UTMB
4- U Arizona
5- U Louiville
6- Cleveland Clinic
7- U Arkansas
8- Wayne
9- Creighton
10- SUNY Upstate
11-SUNY Buffalo

If you could help me rank them, it would be great. Otherwise, can you please guide me regarding the reputation of Creighton, U Conn, Arizona, Arkansas and Wayne State.

Thanks

I'd probably rank them . . .

UAB
U Arizona
Cleveland Clinic
Creighton = UConn = UTMB
Louisville
Arkansas = Wayne
SUNY Upstate*
SUNY Buffalo*

*I'm not sure about the relative competitiveness of these SUNY programs, but I don't think they go up high on the list.

I'd probably rank them . . .

UAB
U Arizona
Cleveland Clinic
Creighton = UConn = UTMB
Louisville
Arkansas = Wayne
SUNY Upstate*
SUNY Buffalo*

*I'm not sure about the relative competitiveness of these SUNY programs, but I don't think they go up high on the list.

Oh...it's on

UAB
UAZ
CCF
UAMS=Creighton = UConn = Wayne St
B'Lo
Upstate
L'ville = UTMB

UAB
U Arizona
Cleveland Clinic
Creighton = UConn = UTMB
Louisville
Arkansas = Wayne
SUNY Upstate*
SUNY Buffalo*

how do you rank Cinci, Minnesota, Emory, Indiana, and SLU with those programs
. curious

how do you rank Cinci, Minnesota, Emory, Indiana, and SLU with those programs
. curious

From a purely academic repuation standpoint . . . maybe like this . . .

Emory
UAB = Minnesota
Indiana
U Arizona
Cleveland Clinic
Creighton = UConn = UTMB = Cinci = SLU
Louisville
Arkansas = Wayne
SUNY Upstate*
SUNY Buffalo*

wow wow wow ... never imagined that UConn=SLU

and never ever imagined that Indy is ranked higher than Cinci

wow wow wow ... never imagined that UConn=SLU

and never ever imagined that Indy is ranked higher than Cinci

One man's opinion. When you start talking about more middle tier programs, there a lot more room for debate, and there a lot more room for "does it really matter in the first place" because none of them are so much "better" than another, not practically speaking.

lol what other standpoints are there o_O :D

You'd likely get good training form any of those places and even find a fellowship match doing whatever you wanted to do, so does it really matter that much?

I think it can really matter coming from an elite shop when it comes to fellowship match at a specific top 5, research heavy, fellowship of your choice, but it starts to fall off very quickly after that.

Just to understand the (tiers) designation that i have been reading in the forum (and excuse my ignorance).

Emory
UAB = Minnesota
Indiana
U Arizona
Cleveland Clinic
Creighton = UConn = UTMB = Cinci = SLU
Louisville
Arkansas = Wayne
SUNY Upstate*
SUNY Buffalo*

What are the tiers of the above mentioned programs?

What are the tiers of the above mentioned programs?

We've always kind of made an arbitrary cut-off point of the top 30-35 programs as "top-tier", with the four elite programs sitting at the top.

Most of the programs on that list are solidly middle tier.

The lowest tier is reserved for most community programs.

The four horsemen (i am assuming) are:
Hopkins - harvard A- Harvard B - Harvard C

Starting to already feel the fatigue of interview season.

Interviews:
UCLA-olive view, UCLA Harbor, Scripps green, Kaiser LA, Cedar Sinai,
UW-Mad, Mayo- Roch, JHU Bayview, UAB, Dartmouth, UVA,
UPMC, Brown, University of Maryland, OHSU, Utah

Already Cancelled 4 (not included in list)
Going to all the Cali programs
Looking to cancel maybe a couple more

Any thoughts?
Interested in Heme/Onc vs Hospitalist

so UCSF is a big deal huh?

What qualities does this program possesse that makes it reach the other three horsemen

--------------------------

Strike that- Let me rephrase
I would understand how osler and the harvards are elite, but how come UCSF is as well, what
made its reputation?

Last edited:
Starting to already feel the fatigue of interview season.

Interviews:
UCLA-olive view, UCLA Harbor, Scripps green, Kaiser LA, Cedar Sinai,
UW-Mad, Mayo- Roch, JHU Bayview, UAB, Dartmouth, UVA,
UPMC, Brown, University of Maryland, OHSU, Utah

Already Cancelled 4 (not included in list)
Going to all the Cali programs
Looking to cancel maybe a couple more

Any thoughts?
Interested in Heme/Onc vs Hospitalist

UAB - it's an impressive institution with lots of history, but location might be a big enough factor to not rank them highly when the rubber meets the road

Then pick wether you prefer Mountains or City and cancel either Brown or Utah (or maybe Dartmouth [east vs west])

so UCSF is a big deal huh?

What qualities does this program possesse that makes it reach the other three horsemen

--------------------------

Strike that- Let me rephrase
I would understand how osler and the harvards are elite, but how come UCSF is as well, what
made its reputation?

Good question. I'm not sure about all of the history, but it just is.

Perhaps they had a stellar forensics department after the Zodiac thing, and this launched them!!! :D :D

UAB - it's an impressive institution with lots of history, but location might be a big enough factor to not rank them highly when the rubber meets the road

Then pick wether you prefer Mountains or City and cancel either Brown or Utah (or maybe Dartmouth [east vs west])

Sdn really needs a like button.
Thanks for your input.

Thoughts on U Maryland/Baltimore?
vs the ones you have mentioned above?

Sdn really needs a like button.
Thanks for your input.

Thoughts on U Maryland/Baltimore?
vs the ones you have mentioned above?

Baltimore is kind of a ****-hole, but it's not detroit or houston (or birmingham for that matter). The thing is Maryland is a GREAT program with good fellowship match, and I think you should go. If you were from the south, I might say, "kill Maryland, go to UAB," but since you're coming from Cali (and I appreciate the Cali mindset because I went to med school there) I think you'd prefer Maryland to UAB.

I interviewed at UAb for fellowship and I thought their fellowship looked like the tits on paper (like I said it's a very impressive place), and I left the interview with UAB pencilled in at #1 . . . but then it sat with me . . . and moving somewhere so far away and to an area so culturally different really started to bug me. Ultimately they were ranked highly, but not so high I ended up there. I'm just trying to play the odds and numbers here a little.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about U of Maryland on the Int Med forum. I have an interview there in January but when I was talking to one of my friends, he didn't seem too keen about it. His reasoning was that b/c you've got Hopkins so close by, U of Maryland ends up getting the left overs and is overshadowed by these surrounding programs. Any input you guys have about this? I haven't looked closely at the program yet, but I keep hearing from the SDN crowd and my own PD that it's a good program.