which interviews to go on

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been hearing a lot of good things about U of Maryland on the Int Med forum. I have an interview there in January but when I was talking to one of my friends, he didn't seem too keen about it. His reasoning was that b/c you've got Hopkins so close by, U of Maryland ends up getting the left overs and is overshadowed by these surrounding programs. Any input you guys have about this? I haven't looked closely at the program yet, but I keep hearing from the SDN crowd and my own PD that it's a good program.

You could make a similar argument about a lot of other good programs located in cities with a "Top X" program (think any program in NYC that isn't Columbia/Cornell, BU, UNC, UIC, etc). There is certainly some level of truth to that, but there are a lot of people who live in these places and they don't all go to Hopkins (Duke, MGH, UChicago, etc) for their care. Also, in many places (at least in NYC), when you call 911, you get taken to the closest hospital that has the care you need, so that's certainly going to fill some beds.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it at all. Frankly, you're more likely to wind up seeing a broader range of patients with a good dose of bread and butter at a place like that than you might at a superstar program which often becomes something of a zebra ranch.

Members don't see this ad.

You could make a similar argument about a lot of other good programs located in cities with a "Top X" program (think any program in NYC that isn't Columbia/Cornell, BU, UNC, UIC, etc). There is certainly some level of truth to that, but there are a lot of people who live in these places and they don't all go to Hopkins (Duke, MGH, UChicago, etc) for their care. Also, in many places (at least in NYC), when you call 911, you get taken to the closest hospital that has the care you need, so that's certainly going to fill some beds.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it at all. Frankly, you're more likely to wind up seeing a broader range of patients with a good dose of bread and butter at a place like that than you might at a superstar program which often becomes something of a zebra ranch.

IIRC, Maryland is the program with the County Hospital. You'll find plenty of patient "diversity" (aka as diabetic, hypertensive, cirrhotic, with ESRD, asthma, COPD, and coronary artey dz, smoking crack, and on your serviuce for EtOH w/d, DKA, Sepsis, and NSTEMI all at the same time [if that doesn't sound like a good internal medicine case . . . I don't know what will])

There are plenty of instances of being the "other program in town". USC, Creighton, or Hennepin County for instance. Just because the fancy pants big university program is across town (or even across the street!) doesn't mean the training or patient population is lacking.

(HoG was correct, these patients do not die, they go to ground!)

Please rank based on the perfect mix of strong ambulatory/continuity clinics, heme/onc placement, warm weather + mountains, hippies, safety/low crime city (I have a 2 year old daughter), "family friendly"....thanks!

Wisconsin
Arizona
Minnesota
Utah
Mayo-Scottsdale
Baylor (the 'good one')
UT-San Antonio
THE Ohio State
Providence Portland
Iowa
New Mexico
Banner Good Sam (Phoenix)

Members don't see this ad :)
Please rank based on the perfect mix of strong ambulatory/continuity clinics, heme/onc placement, warm weather + mountains, hippies, safety/low crime city (I have a 2 year old daughter), "family friendly"....thanks!

Wisconsin
Arizona
Minnesota
Utah
Mayo-Scottsdale
Baylor (the 'good one')
UT-San Antonio
THE Ohio State
Providence Portland
Iowa
New Mexico

I know this is a lot to ask so...a rank based on academic rep alone would be fantastic.

I know this is a lot to ask so...a rank based on academic rep alone would be fantastic.

Wisconsin
Minnesota = Iowa
Baylor (the 'good one')
Utah = UT-San Antonio = THE Ohio State
Arizona = New Mexico
Mayo-Scottsdale
Providence Portland

You're screwed because cold in the winter and non-mountain is at the top

Wisconsin
Arizona
Minnesota
Utah
Mayo-Scottsdale
Baylor (the 'good one')
UT-San Antonio
THE Ohio State
Providence Portland
Iowa
New Mexico

Are you pro or anti hippie? What about hipsters?

Wisconsin
Minnesota = Iowa
Baylor (the 'good one')
Utah = UT-San Antonio = THE Ohio State
Arizona = New Mexico
Mayo-Scottsdale
Providence Portland

You're screwed because cold in the winter and non-mountain is at the top

Move Utah up to = Wisco or Minn/Iowa, and put OSU up next to Real Baylor and I agree. Plus then you get mountains and warm (summer) weather at the top.

Uhhh ... You guys mean hippies in the tradition of Hendrix, Woodstock, Piece and love etc hippies? what does this make hipsters? too lazy to check the urban dic.

Rhetorical question: The consensus from the god fathers is that UT-San Antonio > Arizona = New Mexico?

.....even with all that Texas hate...

In my mind, you'll find hipsters in Portland, sipping chai tea while casually tinkering with graphic design (20 hours per week, max)......I think they are hippies in their own right, except they listen to indie music and waft their own farts out of wine glasses

:thumbup:Hippies :thumbup: Hipsters

Sadly we cannot be friends. Those are the two most vile categories of person I can imagine... Most hipsters I know aren't even good at being ironic, which is sad considering that it is one of the principle tenants of hipsterism. Hippies just smell bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uhhh ... You guys mean hippies in the tradition of Hendrix, Woodstock, Piece and love etc hippies? what does this make hipsters? too lazy to check the urban dic.

....and I don't think it's uncommon to find a hipster wearing a Hendrix t-shirt he bought for $350 on eBay

I am good with references from movies ... Please give me a reference from a movie that depicts a hipster!!! :D

I am good with references from movies ... Please give me a reference from a movie that depicts a hipster!!! :D

This is pretty difficult. Imagine Tyler Durden (Fight Club) is the true father of Juno's baby. That baby boy grows up fully immersed in "anti-culture," stands in the back while daddy Durden continues to fight in underground rings, then goes home at night and blogs about it all.

....and he drives a Prius because it's just so damn eco-friendly!

may the claws of a thousand moles, tear up the intestines, of that who seeded the seed, that gave rise to the tree, that gave the wood, that was used to build the table, that inventor of hipsterianism used to put his Mac on :D

Last edited:
may the claws of a thousand moles, tear up the intestines, of that who seeded the seed, that gave rise to the tree, that gave the wood, that was used to build the table, that first inventor of hipsterianism used to put his Mac on :D

You're a fast learner, adagio... how did you know it was a Mac?

Its a Mac ... Its always a Mac ... I could see the starbucks vapors engulfing the burberry jackets of hipsters while (liking) the (occupy wall street) facebook statuses on their macs :D

This is what I would call (a self conscious yuppie)

tom selleck ... he can pull off a mustache ... Joseph Stalin ... the pringles guy ...

hahahah ... I am dying here

Dude .... this video is gold ... GAWD DAYMN

Any opinions on SUNY Stonybrook vs UMDNJ Newark and/or REJMS? I need to cancel some interviews and was looking at canceling all (or most) of these and was having trouble telling how good the residencies, reputation and fellowship placement is. I suspect Newark may be similar to Stonybrook but really cannot get a solid idea either way. Also how would they compare to a Cincinnati/Cleveland Clinic/Maryland?

Any opinions on SUNY Stonybrook vs UMDNJ Newark and/or REJMS? I need to cancel some interviews and was looking at canceling all (or most) of these and was having trouble telling how good the residencies, reputation and fellowship placement is. I suspect Newark may be similar to Stonybrook but really cannot get a solid idea either way. Also how would they compare to a Cincinnati/Cleveland Clinic/Maryland?

Of those 3, RWJ is the best so if you're going to keep one of them, keep that one. It's probably similar to Maryland (although MD has a county site, RWJ is Uni+Community). I'd put CCF and Cinci a hair above Stony Brook and NJMS.

Of those 3, RWJ is the best so if you're going to keep one of them, keep that one. It's probably similar to Maryland (although MD has a county site, RWJ is Uni+Community). I'd put CCF and Cinci a hair above Stony Brook and NJMS.

So if you had to rank them you'd have RWJ in the same category as Newark and StonyBrook buy Cinnci and CCF a hair above them? I'm looking for a program that not inline provides proper training but would assist me with fellowship match and from the websites I had trouble getting the impression you gave me.

I'm pretty set on going to Maryland and the others but out of those three is there a particular reason you'd say RWJMS is better?

So maybe not the best thread for following question:

So obviously Cleveland Clinic gets a ton of hate on this forum, my question is about their GI match. If you look over the past 2 years they have matched 11 into GI almost all at Cleveland Clinic, 3 years ago they sent 4 students pretty much all over. So what do you guys make of this? If im interested in a GI fellowship should it move up on my list? Is Cleveland Clinics GI fellowship a good fellowship program?

My list as it stands today (mostly based on my very limited knowledge/what i have heard here):

1. Alabama
2. Case western
3. Hopkins bayview
4. Dartmouth
5. Jefferson
6. Mountifere
7. Rochester
8. Maryland
9. Cleveland Clinic
10. Tulane
11. Temple
12. Wake forest

Please help to determine which interviews to attend:
UCDavis vs. NYU vs. Emory vs Yale Primary

Interested in GI or cards, thanks!

So if you had to rank them you'd have RWJ in the same category as Newark and StonyBrook buy Cinnci and CCF a hair above them? I'm looking for a program that not inline provides proper training but would assist me with fellowship match and from the websites I had trouble getting the impression you gave me.

I'm pretty set on going to Maryland and the others but out of those three is there a particular reason you'd say RWJMS is better?

No, I'd put RWJ up there with MD and above those other 4.

Please help to determine which interviews to attend:
UCDavis vs. NYU vs. Emory vs Yale Primary

Interested in GI or cards, thanks!

Where would you prefer to live?

You're going to get worked hard at both NYU and Emory but also see a ton of great pathology (Bellevue and Grady) while still having access to the academic zebra ranches. Davis has a pretty decent rep and Yale is Yale.

No, I'd put RWJ up there with MD and above those other 4.

I suppose I should've asked this from the beginning but how would you rank them overall (as a list)? And if you don't mind sharing, why do you feel RWJ is as good as MD (and better than the others)? I'm not skeptical, but I am trying to better understand what features and qualities are important to pay attention to on interviews and when it comes to rank (especially since I'm sure fellowships will use similar factors to evaluate the strength of programs when evaluating candidates).

So maybe not the best thread for following question:

So obviously Cleveland Clinic gets a ton of hate on this forum, my question is about their GI match. If you look over the past 2 years they have matched 11 into GI almost all at Cleveland Clinic, 3 years ago they sent 4 students pretty much all over. So what do you guys make of this? If im interested in a GI fellowship should it move up on my list? Is Cleveland Clinics GI fellowship a good fellowship program?

I can't comment on your rank list, but I can say that the hate that CC gets is mostly due to the fact that a) they work you hard and b) most people who go to Cleveland Clinic go there cuz they want to do cards, and then they are bitter when the CC Cards fellowship takes people from Harvard and Hopkins.

As someone who grew up in Cleveland, CC had a huge reputation, and my (Asian) parents think that CC is better than most of the other programs I'd be applying to just because it's a hospital known back in the motherland. And I want to go into Heme/Onc or critical care (have zero interest in cards), and both of those specialties have awesome matches out of CC, so I have no qualms about applying there and ranking it high. I would muuuch rather go to CC than RWJ, which somebody ranked higher (I hate New Jersey, armpit of America, and this is coming from a lifey Rust Belter :p).

If you don't mind living in Cleveland for the long haul, since most of the GI fellowships are in house, I don't think you can go wrong going to CC.

In house GI fellowships in CC are really not a sure thing.

A fellow in GI once told me that getting it in CC is not a walk in the park. They still prefer out of house applicants.

Research it well. best of luck

Cancel Davis, keep the other three - fantastic cards matches out of Emory (JHH, Penn, find to Emory, very solid to great matches from NYU and Yale PC (BIDMC, Yale, UTSW, WashU, Scripps Green in recent years). NYU and YPC stronger for GI, IIRC. Definitely agree with then ranking on where you want to live.

Where would you prefer to live?

You're going to get worked hard at both NYU and Emory but also see a ton of great pathology (Bellevue and Grady) while still having access to the academic zebra ranches. Davis has a pretty decent rep and Yale is Yale.

Cancel Davis, keep the other three - fantastic cards matches out of Emory (JHH, Penn, find to Emory, very solid to great matches from NYU and Yale PC (BIDMC, Yale, UTSW, WashU, Scripps Green in recent years). NYU and YPC stronger for GI, IIRC. Definitely agree with then ranking on where you want to live.

Thanks a lot!

I realized I have too many interviews for January and need to cancel some of these low tier programs. Which of these are worth checking out?

Beth Israel (nyc)
UPMC Mercy
Saint Louis U
EVMS
UConn
U Miami/Jackson Memorial
Case Western Metrohealth

Thanks!

I realized I have too many interviews for January and need to cancel some of these low tier programs. Which of these are worth checking out?

Beth Israel (nyc)
UPMC Mercy
Saint Louis U
EVMS
UConn
U Miami/Jackson Memorial
Case Western Metrohealth

Thanks!

SLU and probably UConn.

Maybe miami if you're really interested in living in miami, otherwise scrap that one too.

If you are an IMG. SLU offers H1 visa also, and takes inhouse staff for cardiology. this is what I know about the program.

honestly i have not gone on many interviews at all-only 8 invites, all of which i accepted....wondering if it is worthwhile to check out miami's program so late in the game? maybe to give myself a cushion? thoughts?

honestly i have not gone on many interviews at all-only 8 invites, all of which i accepted....wondering if it is worthwhile to check out miami's program so late in the game? maybe to give myself a cushion? thoughts?

Hey, hey, hey!

I say you go on the invite. It's Miami for God's sake. Plus, it would be nice to add another program to your list.

you only go through the match once ... GO
May the wind be always at your back
The sun shine warm upon your face
and the rains fall soft upon your fields

Has anyone visited Baylor Houston yet? Wondering if I should check it out or not. I know they had financial issues in the past but I am under the impression they are perhaps on the upswing?

Has anyone visited Baylor Houston yet? Wondering if I should check it out or not. I know they had financial issues in the past but I am under the impression they are perhaps on the upswing?

wondering the same thing

I recently went to Baylor. I thought the program was solid. I don't think losing methodist is a big deal. Between St. Lukes, Ben Taub and the VA there are ample opportunities to train. They have a solid fellowship match list. Morning report at the VA was so-so and 36/40 passed ABIMs, I'm not sure if that should be concerning?

If interested in Cards, people match at Texas Heart and Baylor which is nice. For H/O, people consistently go to MDACC. Overall, I was fairly impressed. The biggest negative IMO was the salary, 44K vs 51K at UTSW.....?

wondering the same thing

Went there a couple weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised. Residents were happy, excellent fellowship placement, and research opportunities (they really hype how much they want their residents doing research), they actually set aside up to two months second year.

As for the financial issues, I'm fairly sure they are either resolving or were just blown out of proportion to begin with. I go to the "other" medical school in Houston, and spent the better part of 4 years hearing about how Baylor was about to go out of business. As it turns out they've been "stealing" a significant number of our faculty as of late. I didn't see any of the tell tale signs of a school on the verge of financial collapse either.

I guess one draw back is that you'll be spending almost all of your time split between a large community hospital and a VA, so if that isn't your cup of tea, may want to think twice.