This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which is better?

• Stick with the program

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Apply to other schools

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

premedstuddeentt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a freshman in college, accepted into a 4+4 DO medical program, that doesn't require the MCAT. I was ecstatic at first but after doing a little bit more research, I noticed the affiliated medical school is ranked significantly low and I'm also not sure if Id want to do DO over MD.

Is it a better option to play it safe and stick with the program, or should I apply to other medical schools after a few years? (the medical school for this program also said if we apply to any other schools, then our guaranteed acceptance is revoked)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
huh

Reactions: 1 users
I am currently a freshman in college, accepting into a 4+4 DO medical program, that doesn't require the MCAT. I was ecstatic at first but after doing a little bit more research, I noticed the affiliated medical school is ranked significantly low and I'm also not sure if Id want to do DO over MD.

Is it a better option to play it safe and stick with the program, or should I apply to other medical schools after a few years? (the medical school for this program also said if we apply to any other schools, then our guaranteed acceptance is revoked)

You are a freshman, so you don't have to decide yet. I don't know of any program that says you absolutely MUST do med school at their place if you do the first 4yrs. Give it time and see how you do academically, etc. Nothing wrong with a DO, but depending on your goals in a few years and stats an MD or DO might serve you one better than the other for certain things.

I'd keep my options as open as possible in the future, but right now you just need to make it through 4yrs and make yourself the most competitive applicant possible or you might find you aren't accepted anywhere. You should plan to take the MCAT. Then decide if you want to apply elsewhere and you should better know by then your options.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a freshman in college, accepting into a 4+4 DO medical program, that doesn't require the MCAT. I was ecstatic at first but after doing a little bit more research, I noticed the affiliated medical school is ranked significantly low and I'm also not sure if Id want to do DO over MD.

You are still a freshman in college, a lot can change in a few years. Just focus on getting good grades for now and in a few years worry about your MCAT. If it were me I would probably not do the program and just focus on doing well in school so I have more options. Keep up the hard work!

Keep with it for now. Take your MCAT. If it's not competitive then you have nothing to worry about, but if you have a 3.6+, good ECs, shadowing, and a good MCAT ditch the program.
If you don't have those things no biggy you already have your acceptance.

Reactions: 3 users
the medical school for this program also said if we apply to any other schools, then our guaranteed acceptance is revoked

Timeline:

Freshman yr: Stay in the program. Make grades. Do ECs.
Sophomore yr: Keep up with grades & ECs
1/2 way through Junior yr: analyze your grades, buy MSAR, choose a target MCAT score, prep for MCAT
Late spring junior yr: As soon as you get your MCAT score, compare your GPA & MCAT against median stats in MSAR

If you are competitive for MD, ditch the program.
If you are competitive for most DO schools, ditch the program also.
If neither of the above, take your guaranteed ticket as long as you hit the program's min GPA & MCAT.

Reactions: 4 users
Timeline:

Freshman yr: Stay in the program. Make grades. Do ECs.
Sophomore yr: Keep up with grades & ECs
1/2 way through Junior yr: analyze your grades, buy MSAR, choose a target MCAT score, prep for MCAT
Late spring junior yr: As soon as you get your MCAT score, compare your GPA & MCAT against median stats in MSAR

If you are competitive for MD, ditch the program.
If you are competitive for most DO schools, ditch the program also.
If neither of the above, take your guaranteed ticket as long as you hit the program's min GPA & MCAT.

This was really helpful thank you!

As others have said you should plan on taking the MCAT. Make sure it is early enough that you have time to decide whether to ditch the program. Your goal now should be to work hard and get into a US MD school. That means strong grades, taking the MCAT and doing well (32+ based on the old scoring system) and doing lots of ECs.

Good luck.

Lake Eerie College of Osteopathic Medicine

Absolutely ditch it if you have the luxury later on. I graduate from MSU-COM in a couple of months - and I've met dozens of people from LECOM (med students, residents). Their description of their preclerkship courses have been uniformly negative, and they've got to put in a lot of effort in scheduling rotations- whereas going to an established MD or DO school like either of MSU, or Toledo makes things a lot more streamline and organized. I'm sure plenty of people may like LECOM, but there are plenty of gems in the DO world that you could get into. Aim higher, then adjust your expectations based on how you do. Good luck!

Absolutely ditch it if you have the luxury later on. I graduate from MSU-COM in a couple of months - and I've met dozens of people from LECOM (med students, residents). Their description of their preclerkship courses have been uniformly negative, and they've got to put in a lot of effort in scheduling rotations- whereas going to an established MD or DO school like either of MSU, or Toledo makes things a lot more streamline and organized. I'm sure plenty of people may like LECOM, but there are plenty of gems in the DO world that you could get into. Aim higher, then adjust your expectations based on how you do. Good luck!

Thank you so much, this was really really helpful. I keep hearing negative things about it as well

Stick with the program. And then once you have a better grasp of what you want, maybe apply to other schools your Junior/Senior. Or don't.
You don't need to make a decision just yet.
I have lots of friends who have been in the same position you are in. They all follow the same advice I just gave you.
Good luck!