Which is more recognized: Dr.PH or PhD in Public health?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbdreamer1982

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts regarding the Dr.PH programs out there? I know the difference, the former is more practical in preparing its students for roles in government, policy making and leadership within organizations. The latter, the PhD prepares students for research and academic careers.

However, which is recognized better - has better job prospects, the PhD in Public health or the Dr.PH. I'm not quite sure whether it matters all that much once in the 'real' world.

I have my RN , MSc and now applying for PhD's in Public health - although I might do a 1 yr MPH just for extra credibility.

Members don't see this ad.

I was under the impression that the Dr PH was a degree for working professionals and more of a professional degree. Many I looked at did not have much of a research component. All PhD's I looked at were obviously very big into reserach. At Harvard though, the DRPH is for people who already have a doctoral degree which I took to mean MD's or DO's, working clinical professionals. At least that is my understanding. If anyone has any info that would be great.

Yeah, there seems to be a bit of variety between the programs.

The one I'm looking at is quite research focused, its first year is equivalent to an MPH - epidemiological courses, stats, research courses. The program has three internships - one in a research setting, the second in a policy making setting and the third in a health practice setting. It takes three years to complete and entails a thesis of original research due in the final year.

I'm confused though. Obviously I want to come out of a program with a wealth of hands on experience, not just theory, but I want my degree to be recognized also.

Members don't see this ad :)
PhD is an academic degree.
The way to get one is the same as any other PhD. Coursework, qualifying exams, long thesis (original research) with 3 publishable papers. Generally takes 5 years.

DrPH is a professional degree.
DrPH at all schools do require a thesis, but the majority of the research done (as far as I've elucidated) is more practical (applied). Generally, most folks attempting to get a DrPH have been working public health for some time and many will already possess a MPH.

So from my understanding, based on previous posts, one cannot obtain their DrPH degree immediately after receiving their MPH? Is several years of work experience within the field of public health a requirement before even being considered for the degree?

So from my understanding, based on previous posts, one cannot obtain their DrPH degree immediately after receiving their MPH? Is several years of work experience within the field of public health a requirement before even being considered for the degree?

Generally, yes. I'm, sure there are exceptions, but by far and large, the DrPH is intended for an established public health professional intending to become leaders in public health. At Berkeley, students are expected to come in with a MPH.

Here's a good resource for DrPH and PhD: http://drph.berkeley.edu/programinfo/program_faq.html and what the DrPH is intended for an usual outcomes of students.

yeah I refer to the Berkley website quite a bit to re-read the differences between the programs.

For myself personally a Dr.PH seems more realistic due to the time factor and personal interest in health promotion.

However, I hope the job prospects are similar...that the Dr.PH is recognized equally.

MPHBound, there are Dr.PH programs that do not require you to have alot of public health experience....health care experience is sufficient. I'm a nurse with four years of OR experience and limited public health experience under my belt; I've been told that my experience is sufficient provided I am aiming for a public health career.

I think it really depends on the program.

For you, I would suggest a DrPH.

In terms of recognition, in my opinion, a PhD is more widely recognized, but within the public health arena, people know both. Most acamedicians are PhD's or ScD's so if you want to go into primarily research (i.e. become a prof), the PhD may be a better option.

Thank you for the info. Stories and sbdreamer1982!

PhD is more recognized, definitely; I don't think there are any limits to what career you can get with a PhD vs. a DrPH. On the other hand I think there are career limitations to having a DrPH instead of a PhD.

The important part is deciding which of the two degree types is a better fit for you and which provides you with the career opportunities you want.