which is the best of all

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GujuMD

1K member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to MD and DO schools. I haven't been accepted anywhere but have been waitlisted. This is my second try. There is a lot of family pressure on me to get into a program right now. I am considering carribean. GPA 3.7, MCAT 31L.

I was wondering which caribbean schools are the best...as far as teaching, board scores, match, and financial aid (through US gov't)

I am looking into SGU and Ross but don't know much about the other schools

also it is already May and I haven't started my application at any of these schools...are those schools already full for August?

Members don't see this ad.

The only ones worth looking at are AUC, SGU, Ross and Saba.

Although, Saba is cheaper, it does not have Stafford loans (but double check to make sure because I have not looked into it for a while).

You still have time to get accepted for August. The sooner the better, though.

There is a lot of family pressure on me to get into a program right now.

Perhaps you should consider what YOU want first. It's your life and your career.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to MD and DO schools. I haven't been accepted anywhere but have been waitlisted. This is my second try. There is a lot of family pressure on me to get into a program right now. I am considering carribean. GPA 3.7, MCAT 31L.

I was wondering which caribbean schools are the best...as far as teaching, board scores, match, and financial aid (through US gov't)

I am looking into SGU and Ross but don't know much about the other schools

also it is already May and I haven't started my application at any of these schools...are those schools already full for August?

If you don't get in this round to a US school, I suggest going to SGU or Ross if you really want to get that MD. I know AUC has been around as well and Saba is gaining popularity but the tried and true 2 big names in the Caribbean are SGU and Ross. Just look at their match lists.

Good luck to you.

Berk

With your stats I would DEFINITELY take a year off and work and then reapply as I am almost positive you will get accepted. Try applying to the Georgetown SMP or the MS in Biomedical Sciences program at FAU in Florida (I did it) prior to matriculating. Doing some post-bacc will definitely get you in to a US medical school and give you that much more of a chance at getting into a top 20. If I were you, I would take a year off, work, or do a post-bacc program and reapply. Only then if you don't get in should you consider caribbean. It's not worth it otherwise unless you really HAVE to get your life on the road.

I want to be a physician, its my decison and not my family. this is my second time applying and no luck with US MD and DO schools. I need to get my life going before my family decides to get me married or tells me to change my career.

GujuMD,

I know how you feel about the time issue. I can tell you're Indian and having a rough time trying to get into schools while also pacifying your parents and family...I go through the same thing and lately have been feeling the push to just get in and start somewhere. If you really do feel that way, then you should most definitely apply to schools in the Caribbean. SGU and Ross are great alternatives to US medical schools and if you know it's what you want to do and just want to get started, then I think you should just apply and see what happens. But definitely get on it and do it NOW as spots are quickly filling up. But you also seem to have great stats, which makes me feel like you should try to figure out what exactly it is that is keeping you from getting in. I agree w/ one of the above posts, I think if you did a post-bac or something for a year, you'd have a great chance...do you know what your weakness(es) is/are? Maybe call up some of the schools you applied to and ask them directly...that way you can really work on improving what needs to be improved and increase your chances for next year. I understand the time issue for you, but if one year makes a difference for you in getting into a US school, at the end it won't be a loss at all. Good luck!

I'm in a similar situation, minus the family pressure for me to do it.

I had a 3.89GPA when I applied (3.76 final undergrad), 3.92 science, and got a 33R on the MCAT. Right now I'm waitlisted at two schools with no acceptances, and I'm considering doing AUC or SABA.

I'd rather get started than spend a year doing something that really doesn't help me move forward with life at all just so that I can maybe get in next year. So far it seems like AUC is a nice compromise with being a little cheaper thean SGU, having smaller classes than SGU or Ross, having federal loans which SABA doesn't, being on the most 'familiar' island, and having a good reputation (and thus match lists, etc.).

It's still a big decision, though.

Does anyone know the deadline for these schools?

supposedly mid june for august class and mid november for the january class.. but someone posted on valuemed that the august class is full.. =/

supposedly mid june for august class and mid november for the january class.. but someone posted on valuemed that the august class is full.. =/

which schools are full?

Members don't see this ad :)
which schools are full?

SGU just filled up within the last few weeks. However, with your stats, I don't see any reason you wouldn't get in if you applied for any other semester.

I am curious as to why you did not get accepted to a US school with your stats. Did they give you a reason?

I am curious as to why you did not get accepted to a US school with your stats. Did they give you a reason?

Seriously...where did you apply? All Ivies? With your stats, you should DEFINITELY get in somewhere. Maybe you were not wise in the schools you applied to or you don't interview well? Good luck with that. You should be accepted unless you have some problem holding up the acceptance.

Seriously...where did you apply? All Ivies? With your stats, you should DEFINITELY get in somewhere. Maybe you were not wise in the schools you applied to or you don't interview well? Good luck with that. You should be accepted unless you have some problem holding up the acceptance.

i interviewed at Rosalind Franklin, West Virginia U, Wayne State and Des Moines U (DO).
I also applied at NYMC, Albany, Drexel, Howard, Meharry, Creighton, NJMS,
and bunch more.

I'm shocked you didn't get into a US school in two application attempts! Wow.
I wish you the best with the Caribbean application...but you must reevaluate your application materials to gain some understanding as to why you weren't accepted...because it makes no sense in my opinion.

i talked to WVU last year after not getting in and they said it was b/c of increase in apps. i asked them if my interviewing skills were not good, and she said that the interview was good, its just that they didn't have enough spots...but this year they waitlisted me again...

i talked to WVU last year after not getting in and they said it was b/c of increase in apps. i asked them if my interviewing skills were not good, and she said that the interview was good, its just that they didn't have enough spots...but this year they waitlisted me again...

Don't you just love the non-specific "we loved you but we didn't have enough spots" reason for why you were left on the waitlist and not admitted?

I applied twice, have several published articles in peer-reviewed journals, two master's degrees (Public Health and Business), more volunteering than I can remember, and decent but not great MCAT/GPA stats (3.4 undergrad in microbiology, 3.7 graduate, 10V 9P 11B MCAT). I got four interviews (two each year), four waitlists, and four eventual rejections. The interviews were at Univ. of Florida, Florida State, Albany Med, and Eastern Virginia.

The reason you listed above was what I was told at every school that waitlisted me.

Sorry to hear that you didn't get accepted anywhere. Though I'm pretty sure that you would do well at Caribb school anyway.

Don't you just love the non-specific "we loved you but we didn't have enough spots" reason for why you were left on the waitlist and not admitted?

I applied twice, have several published articles in peer-reviewed journals, two master's degrees (Public Health and Business), more volunteering than I can remember, and decent but not great MCAT/GPA stats (3.4 undergrad in microbiology, 3.7 graduate, 10V 9P 11B MCAT). I got four interviews (two each year), four waitlists, and four eventual rejections. The interviews were at Univ. of Florida, Florida State, Albany Med, and Eastern Virginia.

The reason you listed above was what I was told at every school that waitlisted me.

it would be nice to get more feedback from the schools. I kind of know that my weak spot is the verbal but that cannot be the only think keeeping me out, since i got the interviews.

it would be nice to get more feedback from the schools. I kind of know that my weak spot is the verbal but that cannot be the only think keeeping me out, since i got the interviews.

You probably just forgot to pray to the med school gods as a starter to your interview. Typically, you kneel at the interviewer's feet and chant "I'm not worthy" until you're given permission to rise.

Seriously, who knows why you didn't get in? I met with the Assoc. Dean at FSU after I got rejected and all I heard was how my application was great, they were very impressed with my publications, all physicians should get an MPH, yadda, yadda, yadaa, and had they had a few more spots I'd be sitting in the incoming class.

The very next year, I wasn't even interviewed.

You probably just forgot to pray to the med school gods as a starter to your interview. Typically, you kneel at the interviewer's feet and chant "I'm not worthy" until you're given permission to rise.

Seriously, who knows why you didn't get in? I met with the Assoc. Dean at FSU after I got rejected and all I heard was how my application was great, they were very impressed with my publications, all physicians should get an MPH, yadda, yadda, yadaa, and had they had a few more spots I'd be sitting in the incoming class.

The very next year, I wasn't even interviewed.

they pick the people randomly!

I don't get how you guys GujuDoc, Drakensoul, and bwells46 can come up empty even with average to above average GPAs and MCATs. Are you guys applying late or perhaps lacking in clinical experiences? Perhaps you guys didn't apply broadly enough?

I've known people who have gotten multiple acceptances to US Allopathic with lower stats. But not this current cycle.

Has Med School gotten even more competitive?

I applied late for sure. I ended up submitting five secondaries (which should have been closer to fifteen, I guess) about a month before the secondary deadlines, got 3 interviews, and I'm waitlisted at two schools.

I think the interviews went fine, and I definitely have 'clinical exposure' though the rest of my ECs aren't anything ground-breaking.

Now that it's past May 15th I'm checking the **** out of my phone every 5 minutes hoping I get a call, but yeah... otherwise, hello AUC.

I don't get how you guys GujuDoc, Drakensoul, and bwells46 can come up empty even with average to above average GPAs and MCATs. Are you guys applying late or perhaps lacking in clinical experiences? Perhaps you guys didn't apply broadly enough?

I've known people who have gotten multiple acceptances to US Allopathic with lower stats. But not this current cycle.

I wasn't late and i applied broadly to allopathic schools and even few osteo schools. i have shadowing, volunteeering, research as my EC.

For clinical expericne, I have two years of volunteering in the hospital in multiple departments and three months working with a private practice pediatrician. I applied to ~25 schools in mid-July.

For clinical expericne, I have two years of volunteering in the hospital in multiple departments and three months working with a private practice pediatrician. I applied to ~25 schools in mid-July.

a lot of times...i think they just pick applicants randomly.

Allright guys come on, what's the complete story here? GujuMD and bwells46, surely you're not telling us everything. Easy to blame the medical schools but I'm quite sure there are chinks in the armor not being talked about, and only the positives from applications are being highlighted. :rolleyes:

Allright guys come on, what's the complete story here? GujuMD and bwells46, surely you're not telling us everything. Easy to blame the medical schools but I'm quite sure there are chinks in the armor not being talked about, and only the positives from applications are being highlighted. :rolleyes:

If I knew precisely what was wrong with my application, I wouldn't be posting on a forum saying I didn't get in and I don't know precisely why. Maybe my udergrad GPA wasn't high enough for them? Maybe they didn't like my 9 in physical science? Maybe they hated my personal statement? Maybe they think I'm just out to make money because I have a master's in business? Maybe my ECs and publications don't fit what they're looking for? Maybe I don't interview well?

Seriously, who knows? I have a few friends who are physicians and used to be on adcoms for medical school go over every piece of my application and tell me they're not sure why I didn't get in. I done mock interviews with each of them, listened to their feedback, and did as well as I could in the real thing.

Maybe you could run my application through the Enterprise's computer and see what pops up? :laugh:

Anyways, I got accepted to SGU so in the end I'll still get my MD. SGU is a fine school and if US med schools won't take me after everything I've done then I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

I don't see why anyone would lie about something like this.:confused: Your making assumptions based on your own limited experiences. I'm sure these guys tried their best. The last time I checked Med school acceptance wasn't a gurantee no matter what your stats are.

If I knew precisely what was wrong with my application, I wouldn't be posting on a forum saying I didn't get in and I don't know precisely why. Maybe my udergrad GPA wasn't high enough for them? Maybe they didn't like my 9 in physical science? Maybe they hated my personal statement? Maybe they think I'm just out to make money because I have a master's in business? Maybe my ECs and publications don't fit what they're looking for? Maybe I don't interview well?

Seriously, who knows? I have a few friends who are physicians and used to be on adcoms for medical school go over every piece of my application and tell me they're not sure why I didn't get in. I done mock interviews with each of them, listened to their feedback, and did as well as I could in the real thing.

Maybe you could run my application through the Enterprise's computer and see what pops up? :laugh:

Anyways, I got accepted to SGU so in the end I'll still get my MD. SGU is a fine school and if US med schools won't take me after everything I've done then I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Did you apply to any osteopathic schools?

Did you apply to any osteopathic schools?

No. IIRC, most DO schools want a letter a recommendation from a DO and expect you to spend some time volunteering with a DO. Since I don't know any DO's, that makes it a little tough for me.

However, getting a DO is a fantastic alternative to an MD. There's little difference between the two and you'll be a USMG.

No. IIRC, most DO schools want a letter a recommendation from a DO and expect you to spend some time volunteering with a DO. Since I don't know any DO's, that makes it a little tough for me.

However, getting a DO is a fantastic alternative to an MD. There's little difference between the two and you'll be a USMG.

Interesting. It actually is very easy to get a letter from a D.O. Maybe you just want the M.D. more? Nothing wrong with that. :thumbup:

Interesting. It actually is very easy to get a letter from a D.O. Maybe you just want the M.D. more? Nothing wrong with that. :thumbup:

Assuming you know one personally of course. Which I assume you did. If not it can be a pain in the ass to find someone who is an absolute stranger to shadow/right a rec.

You have a point, but D.O.'s will be willing to write you a letter or recommendation if you shadow them for a day.

Guju, I am with you. From the RFU thread to here. I am looking into SGU very strongly. I am going back and forth on what to do with my life. I need some stability as well.

PM me if you want to vent back and forth.

Well, it seems I've gone from one pasture to the next. I've almost completed the whole SGU application shabang. We'll see where this leads me.

Guju, I am with you. From the RFU thread to here. I am looking into SGU very strongly. I am going back and forth on what to do with my life. I need some stability as well.

PM me if you want to vent back and forth.

Did you get my PM?

Well, sent it in. What else do I need besides the online application, fee, transcript, MCAT, and LOR?

Well, sent it in. What else do I need besides the online application, fee, transcript, MCAT, and LOR?

If you did it online, then you need to get them your signature somehow.

If you did it online, then you need to get them your signature somehow.

It said that typing my name and dating it would act as an actual signature....

It said that typing my name and dating it would act as an actual signature....

Then you should be ready to go and should be contacted by your advisor.

January 2008. You?

August 2007. But because I got my application in so late, they offered me a spot in the GSP or a spot on the "priority waitlist" for August. I turned down the GSP seat.

Now, if a spot doesn't open up in August, I have to wait until January to start. Worst case scenario, starting in January gives me 6 more months at my current position. But, that's also 6 more months of a very good salary :thumbup:

August 2007. But because I got my application in so late, they offered me a spot in the GSP or a spot on the "priority waitlist" for August. I turned down the GSP seat.

Now, if a spot doesn't open up in August, I have to wait until January to start. Worst case scenario, starting in January gives me 6 more months at my current position. But, that's also 6 more months of a very good salary :thumbup:

What do you do and can you get me a position? :)

What do you do and can you get me a position? :)

Currently, I'm working as an IT consultant at a not-for-profit HMO where I design automated computer data mining systems to identify provider fraud, waste, and abuse. My results are then used by internal audit and legal to either a) educate providers on correct billing practices, b) recover overpayments, or c) refer to legal authories (mainly the FBI) for consistent and deliberate fraudulent billing.

This explains my Darth Vader avatar and signature because I sometimes feel like I'm on the "dark side" of health care.