Which MCAT books to purchase for self-study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

astronomical

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to take Physics part 2 this summer and take Bio 1 & 2, OChem 1 & 2 in Fall/Spring.

I want to start buying the MCAT books as I will take the MCAT next summer or early Fall. And I do plan on taking a PREP course, but as of now what I should be more focused on? The exam itself or the content of it? And which books do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=623898

This should book recommendations and a 3 month more or less full time calendar.

I used Kaplan 5 book series, EK 1001 physics, EK 101 verbal passages and TBR Physics, Bio, Gen Chem.

Kaplan had some nice high yield problems that tied a lot of stuff together even though those questions wasn't representative of what was on the test. There was also more pneumonic memory tricks than TBR.

TBR was probably the best in terms of explanation. If you do well on TBR passages, you'll do well on the MCAT.

If you're studying while going to school/working, then plan for 6 months but it really varies with different people.

If you can self study, I'd do that instead of prep course to save money and I think it's not like something that's really necessary.

just focus on doing really, really well in your pre-reqs. there will be hardly anything you need to review if you do that because it'll be fresh.

just focus on doing really, really well in your pre-reqs. there will be hardly anything you need to review if you do that because it'll be fresh.

Eh, I think content review is always good. I got A's in all the prereq's, took calclulus-based physics, honors organic, and several bio courses, scored at or near the top of the class in a number of them, and there is still testable content I've never seen.