Which of These Dental School Should I Apply To?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBigTooth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background Info
New York Resident
GPA --> 3.69
sGPA --> 3.5
DAT --> Not Taken Yet
Shadowing Hours --> 125 hours
Volunteer Hours --> 200 hours in ER hospital

I am submitting my application and am picking the dental schools for my application now. I am having a difficult time deciding if some schools are worth applying to because of things like low OOS Acceptance Rates. I also want to go to a school that I can pay off tuition as fast as possible, so something cheaper. Here are the schools I currently have in mind:

New York Dental Schools
Columbia University College of Dental Medicine (a stretch, might not apply)
NYU College of Dentistry (too expensive)

Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine
Touro College of Dental Medicine at New York Medical College
University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine

OOS Dental Schools
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine School of Dental Medicine (Florida)
Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine (Massachusetts)
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (Massachusetts)
University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine (Pennsylvania)
West Virginia University School of Dentistry (West Virginia)
University of Nevada, Las Vegas, School of Dental Medicine (Nevada)
Temple University (Pennsylvania)

UCLA (California)
UCSF (California)
Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine (Illinois)
Indiana University School of Dentistry (Indiana)
University of New England College of Dental Medicine (Maine)
University of Maryland School of Dentistry (Maryland)
Harvard School of Dental Medicine (another stretch, might not apply)
University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry (Michigan)
University of Michigan School of Dentistry (Michigan)
University of Minnesota School of Dentistry (Minnesota)
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, School of Dental Medicine (New Jersey)
East Carolina University School of Dental Medicine (North Carolina)
Marquette University School of Dentistry (Wisconsin)

Out of these dental schools, are there any that are not worth applying to? (because of low OOS acceptance rate or any other reason)
Are there any other schools that I don't have listed that I should apply to?

Quick EDIT --> Just did the math, these colleges would cost about $3,000 in just application fees... Which of these are worth removing?
EDIT 2 --> Crossed out some colleges you guys mentioned.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest removing UCLA, UCSF, Southern Illinois, Harvard, Michigan, ECU (many of these are OOS UNfriendly, too high of stats, and ECU only accepts NC residents)

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to pay off your debt fast go ahead and take NYU off your list.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to pay off your debt fast go ahead and take NYU off your list.
Yeah I get that it is expensive but I would be paying in-state tuition which would be cheaper than some colleges' out-of-state tuition.

• Okay...
I suggest removing UCLA, UCSF, Southern Illinois, Harvard, Michigan, ECU (many of these are OOS UNfriendly, too high of stats, and ECU only accepts NC residents)
Looked further into the colleges you mentioned in details and you are right. Thanks!

Yeah I get that it is expensive but I would be paying in-state tuition which would be cheaper than some colleges' out-of-state tuition.
Yeah, NYU is a private school so everyone pays the same tuition wether you’re in state or OOS. Columbia is the same.

Background Info
New York Resident
GPA --> 3.69
sGPA --> 3.5
DAT --> Not Taken Yet
Shadowing Hours --> 125 hours
Volunteer Hours --> 200 hours in ER hospital

I am submitting my application and am picking the dental schools for my application now. I am having a difficult time deciding if some schools are worth applying to because of things like low OOS Acceptance Rates. I also want to go to a school that I can pay off tuition as fast as possible, so something cheaper. Here are the schools I currently have in mind:

New York Dental Schools
Columbia University College of Dental Medicine (a stretch, might not apply)
NYU College of Dentistry - expensive
Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine
Touro College of Dental Medicine at New York Medical College
University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine - cheapest go-to in-state school

OOS Dental Schools
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine School of Dental Medicine (Florida) - cheap and safety
Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine (Massachusetts) - expensive as well but easier than Tufts
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (Massachusetts) - expensive and harder to get into than boston
University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine (Pennsylvania) - maybe not, high cost of tuition and avg dat score
West Virginia University School of Dentistry (West Virginia) - cheap and safety

UCLA (California)
UCSF (California)
Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine (Illinois)
Indiana University School of Dentistry (Indiana)
University of New England College of Dental Medicine (Maine)
University of Maryland School of Dentistry (Maryland)
Harvard School of Dental Medicine (another stretch, might not apply)
University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry (Michigan)
University of Michigan School of Dentistry (Michigan)
University of Minnesota School of Dentistry (Minnesota)
University of Nevada, Las Vegas, School of Dental Medicine (Nevada)
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, School of Dental Medicine (New Jersey)
East Carolina University School of Dental Medicine (North Carolina)
Marquette University School of Dentistry (Wisconsin)

Out of these dental schools, are there any that are not worth applying to? (because of low OOS acceptance rate or any other reason)
Are there any other schools that I don't have listed that I should apply to?

Quick EDIT --> Just did the math, these colleges would cost about $3,000 in just application fees... Which of these are worth removing?
EDIT 2 --> Crossed out some colleges you guys mentioned.

Don't worry too much about your list. I'd focus on studying for the DAT and doing well on it. When are you taking it?

After your DAT, I'd suggest looking into the schools that offer in-state tuition after a year. There was a good list floating around somewhere.

Don't worry too much about your list. I'd focus on studying for the DAT and doing well on it. When are you taking it?

After your DAT, I'd suggest looking into the schools that offer in-state tuition after a year. There was a good list floating around somewhere.
Planning on studying hard as soon as I can get submit this application. Plan on taking it early September.

Planning on studying hard as soon as I can get submit this application. Plan on taking it early September.
In that case, also look at how individual schools are treating DAT scores. Some will start looking at your application before they have your DAT. Others may not and if they get your application in September, that would be very late (well, under pre-COVID-19 circumstances). Either way, check out their website for information. If there is nothing there, call them for details.

Why did you cross out columbia? You stand a chance if you score 23+ on your DAT.

In that case, also look at how individual schools are treating DAT scores. Some will start looking at your application before they have your DAT. Others may not and if they get your application in September, that would be very late (well, under pre-COVID-19 circumstances). Either way, check out their website for information. If there is nothing there, call them for details.
I will defiantly contact each school and ask them if it would be acceptable to submit Letters of Recommendations and DAT scores early September. Thanks for the advice!

Why did you cross out columbia? You stand a chance if you score 23+ on your DAT.
I have been struggling with studying for the DAT during quarantine along with some other factors. I do feel I can maybe do 22 under the right conditions for the DAT but am thinking of 19/20 as a more reasonable score I may get if I take the exam early September.

I just updated my list (removed NYU, Boston, and Pittsburgh and added UNLV (Las Vegas Dental)). I feel like this will be my final selection. Let me know if you have any thoughts about this.

I have been struggling with studying for the DAT during quarantine along with some other factors. I do feel I can maybe do 22 under the right conditions for the DAT but am thinking of 19/20 as a more reasonable score I may get if I take the exam early September.

I just updated my list (removed NYU, Boston, and Pittsburgh and added UNLV (Las Vegas Dental)). I feel like this will be my final selection. Let me know if you have any thoughts about this.
You might keep NYU and BU as safety schools. I tried to fill at least half my list with safety schools. I was willing to pay more rather than reapply, but choice is obviously yours.

You might keep NYU and BU as safety schools. I tried to fill at least half my list with safety schools. I was willing to pay more rather than reapply, but choice is obviously yours.
Yeah, not getting any schools is one of my big worries. As a NY resident, I still feel NYU is too expensive and I didn't put BU because I already have Tufts (very similar to BU location wise, cost wise, but accepts almost 2x what BU accepts). I added Temple University as well. I appreciate your input. I added Temple University as well to my list. Safety school wise, I think I will be overqualified for LECOM, WVU, and UNLV if I get a 20 for the DAT.

Yeah, not getting any schools is one of my big worries. As a NY resident, I still feel NYU is too expensive and I didn't put BU because I already have Tufts (very similar to BU location wise, cost wise, but accepts almost 2x what BU accepts). I added Temple University as well. I appreciate your input. I added Temple University as well to my list. Safety school wise, I think I will be overqualified for LECOM, WVU, and UNLV if I get a 20 for the DAT.
Why not keep both Tufts and BU? So what if they are nearby? BU is one of your best shots given your profile. And you should never come in with the mindset that you may be overqualified, you never know which schools will ultimately accept you or how you’ll score on the DAT. Who said WVU and UNLV are safe bets, there not. I see Lecom as your only real safety school right now.