Which Osteopathic Schools Accept OOS Applicants and Which Do Not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eeeeagle!!

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from NC and wanting to apply broadly. I have pretty good stats and plan to apply to top, mid, and low tier DO schools. I wam wondering which OOS schools I should not even apply to because they are unfavorable to OOS applicants!

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

PNWU-COM strongly prefers students from the pacific northwest.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OUHCOM, TCOM, OSUCOM, Rowan, and i think WVSOM come to mind.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

WVCOM takes out of state students. Easily.

I'd add WCU with a regional preference. I think UNE has regional preference?

WVCOM takes out of state students. Easily.
Can confirm. I'm an NC resident and I got an II this cycle. Declined it though, so idk how that would've panned out.

I can second this. PNWU sent me an II three days after I submitted their secondary. Too bad I don't want to live in Yakima.

I take it you're from the Pacific NW?

MSUCOM is like 80-90% instate, and has a 80k OOS tuition

Reactions: 2 users
WVSOM is definitely ok for OOS to apply to. Rowan is feasible if you have high enough stats for OOS. PNWU does favor pacific northwest, but it doesn't seem to be so strong of a preference to not recommend someone from applying there.

On another note, I think I'd avoid: KYCOM, TCOM (if you have a 30+ MCAT and 3.8+ GPA you can try here), OUHCOM, OSUCOM, MSUCOM.

The rest, even if they say they have a preference for a certain region, you should still apply because they still take OOS too.

I can second this. PNWU sent me an II three days after I submitted their secondary. Too bad I don't want to live in Yakima.
Haha everyone says this but it's really not that bad. I checked out some sweet wineries and breweries last time I was there. You just have to avoid the sketchy parts / keep your valuables out of sight. No diferent than a lot of other cities.

WVSOM is definitely ok for OOS to apply to. Rowan is feasible if you have high enough stats for OOS. PNWU does favor pacific northwest, but it doesn't seem to be so strong of a preference to not recommend someone from applying there.

On another note, I think I'd avoid: KYCOM, TCOM (if you have a 30+ MCAT and 3.8+ GPA you can try here), OUHCOM, OSUCOM, MSUCOM.

The rest, even if they say they have a preference for a certain region, you should still apply because they still take OOS too.

My MCAT is 505 and undergrad cGPA is 3.56, sGPA is 3.78. I am about to graduate my master's program in pretty difficult coursework with a 3.97 cGPA and 4.0 sGPA. In your opinion, would these stats be acceptable to apply OOS given I have good ECs?

I thought PNWU had a strong biased for the region, but I'm from the Northeast and got an interview mid season. It was a little after I had submitted my secondary, but it still came. I have absolutely no ties to the northwest, never even been over there haha So if you have good stats and EC and don't mind spending the money for the app, I would say apply to PNWU. You never know who will give you that chance and what will shine in your application that makes you a good candidate for them. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
DMUCOM is OOS friendly.. they only have 19% in-state students. You have higher stats than me and I was accepted granted my EC's were pretty extensive. But ya, would recommend applying to DMUCOM.

MSUCOM is like 80-90% instate, and has a 80k OOS tuition
Yep, about 80% in-state with ~10% OOS and ~10% Canadian students. Note that there are some OOS scholarships given out... but I don't believe they are guaranteed scholarships like Canadian students get. Plus, OOS applicants need to be quite competitive numbers-wise in order to be seriously considered. So, in other words, I don't particularly recommend applying to MSUCOM unless you are able to potentially pay the rather exorbitant tuition.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep, about 80% in-state with ~10% OOS and ~10% Canadian students. Note that there are some OOS scholarships given out... but I don't believe they are guaranteed scholarships like Canadian students get. Plus, OOS applicants need to be quite competitive numbers-wise in order to be seriously considered. So, in other words, I don't particularly recommend applying to MSUCOM unless you are able to potentially pay the rather exorbitant tuition.
DMUCOM is OOS friendly.. they only have 19% in-state students. You have higher stats than me and I was accepted granted my EC's were pretty extensive. But ya, would recommend applying to DMUCOM.

Thanks!!