Which perspectives are welcome here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My post was a bit abrupt (and maybe even off-topic), sorry about that. Just, as a clinician, I reflexively think about discussions in terms of 'how would this translate into what I do in the therapy hour to help people get better.' I see a lot of damage that people hanging on to resentments (and always having an external locus of control and remaining in precontemplation forever) does to their lives. It prevents them from even *considering* that they (or their thoughts or behaviors) have anything to do with the state of their lives. They are constantly blaming their circumstances on everyone (and everything) else. Would it be indicated (or contraindicated) to emphasize the role of 'institutionalized racism' in explaining the state of this person's life? How do you know that 'institutionalized racism' caused (and is still causing) their problems? Is there any utility in trying to help the person consider taking responsibility for their own situation and future?

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that some disorders stem from people trying to take too much responsibility (some anxiety disorders, for example) and some disorders stem from people trying to take too little (or no) responsibility.

Would this factor into whether we should emphasize the role of 'institutionalized racism' in working with the individual (assuming they were an ethnic minority client)?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How exactly does one construct a treatment plan addressing 'institutional racism?'
I feel like we're operating from different frameworks here. I'm not advocating that people should be giving out money based on some disadvantage scale, or making treatment plans based on institutional racism (what?). I'm advocating for awareness of the idea that people can experience severe detrimental effects of racism without directly encountering racist individuals. It's the aggregate effects of how power is concentrated, particularly when people in power don't recognize their privilege or the potential consequences of their choices to disadvantaged groups (e.g. putting a major freeway right in the middle of Oakland through a lower-middle-class, historically black neighborhood, creating islands of wasteland in between freeways with no safe footpath to grocery stores, churches, parks, businesses, and destroying property values.)

The power of having this awareness is, for example, avoiding the intellectually lazy but very common ideology that x group is more likely to be poor / on welfare, therefore x group is bad / undesirable / lazy, etc. Having a better understanding of history, sociology, and the aggregate effects of small decisions by people in relative position of power across generations is all I'm advocating.

Reactions: 5 users
My post was a bit abrupt (and maybe even off-topic), sorry about that. Just, as a clinician, I reflexively think about discussions in terms of 'how would this translate into what I do in the therapy hour to help people get better.' I see a lot of damage that people hanging on to resentments (and always having an external locus of control and remaining in precontemplation forever) does to their lives. It prevents them from even *considering* that they (or their thoughts or behaviors) have anything to do with the state of their lives. They are constantly blaming their circumstances on everyone (and everything) else. Would it be indicated (or contraindicated) to emphasize the role of 'institutionalized racism' in explaining the state of this person's life? How do you know that 'institutionalized racism' caused (and is still causing) their problems? Is there any utility in trying to help the person consider taking responsibility for their own situation and future?

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that some disorders stem from people trying to take too much responsibility (some anxiety disorders, for example) and some disorders stem from people trying to take too little (or no) responsibility.

Would this factor into whether we should emphasize the role of 'institutionalized racism' in working with the individual (assuming they were an ethnic minority client)?
I think these are valid questions that should be explored in the context of treatment. Obviously it's harmful to give a client the message that they aren't in control of the things that they actually are in control over. But I also think that as a clinician, going in without the historical framework necessary to understand aspects of power over one's life that are not in the client's control could result in just as much damage. Imaging counseling someone to take responsibility for their borderline spouse's erratic behavior. That would be potentially very harmful to that person's mental health.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think these are valid questions that should be explored in the context of treatment. Obviously it's harmful to give a client the message that they aren't in control of the things that they actually are in control over. But I also think that as a clinician, going in without the historical framework necessary to understand aspects of power over one's life that are not in the client's control could result in just as much damage. Imaging counseling someone to take responsibility for their borderline spouse's erratic behavior. That would be potentially very harmful to that person's mental health.

Thank you. You answered my question even as I was typing it, LOL.

I think it’s really cool that this thread is still active and flourishing in new and different ways. I feel grateful for the generous personal glimpses of self by individual posters.

I read this book review tonight and thought it was a timely illustration of some themes we are discussing re: the aggregate effects of institutional bias and identity factors in the context of trauma. Great posts on that front, @StellaB .

Of note, thanks to Mike Parent, I frowned at the author’s casual use of the phrase “toxic masculinity.” Consider me a convert who will educate others about the correct boundaries of this term’s use.

PS, I can’t wait to read Chanel Miller’s book. <3

and some disorders stem from people trying to take too little (or no) responsibility.
This reminds me of a DBT assumption: patients may not have caused all of their own problems but it is up to them to solve the problems. This assumption underscores the dialectical balance between acceptance and change.

This reminds me of a DBT assumption: patients may not have caused all of their own problems but it is up to them to solve the problems. This assumption underscores the dialectical balance between acceptance and change.

Thank you for the distillation of this point. Yes. I was more going for the 'treatment utility' angle.

I was going for the Philosopher's Stone, but I never get that :(

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I think it’s really cool that this thread is still active and flourishing in new and different ways. I feel grateful for the generous personal glimpses of self by individual posters.

I read this book review tonight and thought it was a timely illustration of some themes we are discussing re: the aggregate effects of institutional bias and identity factors in the context of trauma. Great posts on that front, @StellaB .

Of note, thanks to Mike Parent, I frowned at the author’s casual use of the phrase “toxic masculinity.” Consider me a convert who will educate others about the correct boundaries of this term’s use.

PS, I can’t wait to read Chanel Miller’s book. <3

Have you watched Unbelievable on Netflix? HIGHLY recommended. If you aren't already familiar with the real life case it's based on, definitely check out the ProPublica article and This American Life podcast about it as well.

Have you watched Unbelievable on Netflix? HIGHLY recommended. If you aren't already familiar with the real life case it's based on, definitely check out the ProPublica article and This American Life podcast about it as well.

I just started it. Hard to watch but its been great so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Not yet, but it’s definitely on my watchlist. I read the stunning ProPublica article a few months ago, when it was likely “re-issued” to amplify interest in the show. I wasn’t aware of the podcast and have a long drive to Boston tonight. Will listen then! Thanks for the rec.

This convo seems to be bleeding into other threads in a non helpful way. Chat on this thread is open for thoughts and feelings that are best worked through in this focused space, versus acted out upon ignorant new posters looking for advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just one thread, and it was inevitable. Some people react to the ****ting on their field in passionate ways. I don't blame them.

I do blame them for saying they would laugh at someone’s stupidity while throwing their app in the trash. That’s unnecessary and rude.

I do blame them for saying they would laugh at someone’s stupidity while throwing their app in the trash. That’s unnecessary and rude.
Well, the laughing was a bit harsh, but most of us would throw it in the trash without a second thought.

Well, the laughing was a bit harsh, but most of us would throw it in the trash without a second thought.
Yeah, in this kind of situation I would place priority on giving the accurate/blunt feedback (we'd probably throw it in the shredder) however 'harsh.' Maybe it will be of potent enough stimulus value to actually cause them to reconsider, though I doubt it. There are some forms of 'discrimination' that are valid and non-arbitrary (e.g. discriminating among applicants for a clinical psych position on the basis of substantive differences in their training background).

Just one thread, and it was inevitable. Some people react to the ****ting on their field in passionate ways. I don't blame them.
Well, I think this is part of the argument about what the difference is. This thread is addressing whether perspectives from the female gender are as valued as those from the male on this forum. Valid question, why not discuss?
The other is people coming onto the forum and supporting inferior training models that could be harmful to the profession and to patients, then stating that the only reason for the negative feedback is jealousy over a high salary. It's frustrating. How many people are over on the medical forums stating that they are going to some online thing and are therefore equal to a psychiatrist/neurologist/pediatrician/PCP?

Well, I think this is part of the argument about what the difference is. This thread is addressing whether perspectives from the female gender are as valued as those from the male on this forum. Valid question, why not discuss?
The other is people coming onto the forum and supporting inferior training models that could be harmful to the profession and to patients, then stating that the only reason for the negative feedback is jealousy over a high salary. It's frustrating. How many people are over on the medical forums stating that they are going to some online thing and are therefore equal to a psychiatrist/neurologist/pediatrician/PCP?

Well, the np/pa independence thing is a continuing argument on that side, pretty close analog

I can see your point.

I believe that online PhD/PsyD programs and the people who attend them have the potential to substantial harm the esteem of psychologists as a profession. And I find such practices insulting, as there is an underlying "you needed to do that, I don't". When confronted with someone who I find insulting and threatening my income, I see no reason for social niceties.

Reactions: 7 users
ITA with what everyone here is saying re: the damage to our field from scam online programs. But I also think there is value in being blunt/harsh within reason; the social psychology research (and our own clinical experiences, let's be honest) indicate that mocking people in situations like this can make them dig their heels in. If the goal is to convince the OP (and any lurkers considering online PsyD programs) that this path is very dangerous for themselves and the field, I think the most effective response is harsh/blunt, but kind/concerned at the same time...

...even though it is undoubtedly true that they will be laughed at with that degree.

Reactions: 2 users

I have stuff to do, so I will make this quick. I am sure I am going to get a lot of hate for this post, but whatever. I don't disagree that online training is not what I would recommend for a PsyD program for anyone. That said, The reason I brought up the question in the other thread is that I see some of the same people who indicated that they did not feel respected, including the OP of this thread, not giving the respect to a new poster because they are from an online PsyD program. The OP was looking for a study partner, did not ask for feedback on the online training model, and has now asked people to stop ridiculing him/her several times. That has not occurred. Posters who disliked jokes I made in various threads are now on that thread making Trump jokes and seem to be participating in the same behavior they previously called out as unprofessional. So, if the issue is professionalism in order to encourage new contributors and widen the readership and contributions, I don't think that the person who started that thread feels particularly welcome.

Some may say one is a choice and the other is not. I don't buy that particular argument as I don't believe anyone here would stand up for someone ridiculing a person's way of dress or personal expression. So, why join in the ridiculing of their educational choice?

I have stuff to do, so I will make this quick. I am sure I am going to get a lot of hate for this post, but whatever. I don't disagree that online training is not what I would recommend for a PsyD program for anyone. That said, The reason I brought up the question in the other thread is that I see some of the same people who indicated that they did not feel respected, including the OP of this thread, not giving the respect to a new poster because they are from an online PsyD program. The OP was looking for a study partner, did not ask for feedback on the online training model, and has now asked people to stop ridiculing him/her several times. That has not occurred. Posters who disliked jokes I made in various threads are now on that thread making Trump jokes and seem to be participating in the same behavior they previously called out as unprofessional. So, if the issue is professionalism in order to encourage new contributors and widen the readership and contributions, I don't think that the person who started that thread feels particularly welcome.

Some may say one is a choice and the other is not. I don't buy that particular argument as I don't believe anyone here would stand up for someone ridiculing a person's way of dress or personal expression. So, why join in the ridiculing of their educational choice?
We are not ridiculing anyone’s education choices. The posters are simply laying out the risks of an online PsyD program. The threat of not being licensed never being able to get a job. Go to the pre-allo or pre-osetho forum. People ridicule people who go to carribean med schools or tell them not to go. Why? Because those people who go to a carriebean med school have a 50/50 chance of being a physician. Meanwhile if you go to a Us MD/Do school it’s around 90-100%.

I didn’t see any ridiculing until that poster called people giving feedback “Failed Psychologists.” Then it did become comical. It’s not disrespectful to disagree or offer an unsolicited opinion. Also, in real life I would probably be even more vehement about the online school being a bad choice.

Fundamentally, no one on this thread that I can tell is asking to be treated with kid gloves, or emotionally validated, or agreed with at all costs. Just to be respected unless disrespect is shown.

I agree with your post. And I don’t often lol.

I didn’t see any ridiculing until that poster called people giving feedback “Failed Psychologists.” Then it did become comical. It’s not disrespectful to disagree or offer an unsolicited opinion. Also, in real life I would probably be even more vehement about the online school being a bad choice.

Fundamentally, no one on this thread that I can tell is asking to be treated with kid gloves, or emotionally validated, or agreed with at all costs. Just to be respected unless disrespect is shown.
This is a lie.

It is started from the second comment itself by someone! And so on. Well, probably ridiculing someone is a usual activity to not understand the difference between a strong opinion and Criminalizing to do a fraud.....

I am certainly out of here. All the best to you guys.

it would be a fraud if the degree wasnt accredited. So, guardians of the "psychology" field do not feel the need to be courteous. And justify their unthoughtful behaviours as great Warriors. Well whether i become a psychologist or not. I will never reccommend going to one fearing the kinds such as you.

This is a lie.

It is started from the second comment itself by someone! And so on. Well, probably ridiculing someone is a usual activity to not understand the difference between a strong opinion and Criminalizing to do a fraud.....

I am certainly out of here. All the best to you guys.

it would be a fraud if the degree wasnt accredited. So, guardians of the "psychology" field do not feel the need to be courteous. And justify their unthoughtful behaviours as great Warriors. Well whether i become a psychologist or not. I will never reccommend going to one fearing the kinds such as you.

Seriously, this random capitalization is interesting. I'm 70% convinced that you are a Trump progeny. The other 30% of me wonders if this is some Millennial thing.

I feel like people were being pretty kind to the OP until the OP started doubling down.

Reactions: 4 users
The “failed psychologists” comment from the OP was after being told that apps from online programs would be trashed and laughed at and others were being visible spectators enjoying the ride while not adding anything to the discussion and making side comments. Then we had people respectfully expressing concern and sharing knowledge/experience from the field, as well.

I agree that we need to protect our field, the public, and potential grad students, but I continue to stand by my opinion that we can do it without patronizing or riling people up to the point at which they feel like we’re just discouraging them to be elitist rather than coming from a place of genuine concern that they’re going to be misled and lied to and have poor career outcomes (etc.). That thread was milder than some I’ve seen in the past, but still has some of the same characteristics.

If the goal is sometimes to persuade people to change their paths, we should think about how we’re conveying the information in efforts to persuade.

Based on what has been said, it appears that this is going to continue to be a fundamental disagreement regarding how we communicate in here.

If the goal is sometimes to persuade people to change their paths, we should think about how we’re conveying the information in efforts to persuade.

Based on what has been said, it appears that this is going to continue to be a fundamental disagreement regarding how we communicate in here.

I would offer that perhaps the broader audience should also be considered. It is unlikely that one person is reading the sentiments. It may be the case that third parties reading the negativity may benefit by having an informed decision, including understanding that there is outright animosity (that is not politely told to many) for such a choice.

And perhaps the message board style of communication, in general, is not conducive to individual persuasion.

For what its worth, I had a very different take on all of this. After the first few posts in the other thread, I was certainly under the very distinct impression that was 100% absolutely exactly a crystal-clear example of what this thread was discussing...except apparently its not (at least to you - I expect this thread means many things to many people;) ). I was equally surprised to hear you perceive this thread as being about whether perspectives from the female gender are valued here. The original post explicitly stated "male aggression is a problem here." To me, this thread was about questioning the behavior of male posters (and potentially seeking to change it). These are distinct issues in my eyes....I think we can all agree that one can communicate in a different manner from someone while still valuing their opinion.

I say all this not to pick you out explicitly but because it relates to my earlier comment about doing a poor job operationalizing things here. After the last thread, even if someone 100% accepted every premise laid out here and had superpowers that allowed then to serve as the intermediary between each poster's thoughts and their outward communication....I now have literally zero idea what changes would occur. Literally zero. I suspect I am not alone. That makes it extremely difficult to enact change for anyone.

I'm somewhat persuaded, but not completely, that the other thread has some seeds of what the main premise of this post is, in that the perspective that online training and other shortcuts are acceptable alternatives to full training as a psychologist is never going to be welcome here. I do think it has something to do with how some of the posters on that thread presented themselves (just jealousy that I make six figures, or something like that). But I struggle with the view that it is entirely the left that is accountable for the division and lack of tolerance that we experience today. And I’m speaking as someone who was screamed at by a speaker in a discussion about race who didn’t bother to understand my question, as someone who was part of a program where thoughts disagreeing with the mainstream conversation we’re not only shut down, but shamed, and as someone who does not identify as part of the radical left. My issue is that this one sided viewpoint takes that leftist philosophy out of its historical context. Blacks, women, and other groups simply do not have and have not had the same playing field as white men. There’s a White Stripes song that goes, you can’t take the effect and make it the cause. It’s a problem on all sides.

In my experience, the nuance of my opinions is often obliterated here. Perhaps that’s an artifact of this being a message board.

By the way, this thread started with the premise that the way men communicate is a problem. That’s not cool. I don’t blame the op per se for that position in as much as it reflects the thought process of millions of our progressive left. The ideology is the problem. People arguing from it tend to be intolerant of diversity of thought, and the position is fundamentally racist and sexist. When disagreement is encountered, the first place they go is race and sex. It’s a bit disgusting, honestly.

@WisNeuro has made the good point that threads gone rogue get shut down or shifted to a sandbox whose acronym I forget. I am probably not alone in not wanting to see that happen. We have collectively invested a lot of energy into this discussion, which (to me, at least) reflects a ton of good thinking *and* strong emotion. Wise mind is always a good goal.

In that spirit, @Jon Snow, I’ll still have a beer with you any old time, but I think the sociopolitical comments and liberal tropes are not constructive. Also, please don’t speak about me to others in a dismissive way as you do above. It’s rude and illustrative of my point in starting this conversation.

@WisNeuro has made the good point that threads gone rogue get shut down or shifted to a sandbox whose acronym I forget. I am probably not alone in not wanting to see that happen. We have collectively invested a lot of energy into this discussion, which (to me, at least) reflects a ton of good thinking *and* strong emotion. Wise mind is always a good goal.

In that spirit, @Jon Snow, I’ll still have a beer with you any old time, but I think the sociopolitical comments and liberal tropes are not constructive. Also, please don’t speak about me to others in a dismissive way as you do above. It’s rude and illustrative of my point in starting this conversation.
Keep out dismissiveness and sociopolitical thoughts? The whole thread is about how you think “male aggression” is hindering your ability to discuss your sociopolitical perspective on the profession with pretty quick request to temporarily have all men be silent.

If you’ve had a change of heart, it’s all good but there seems to be some inconsistency here

Cool. I prefer Belgian ales that are sour, much like my toxic-liberal, man-hating heart ;)

I think it’s simply more interesting to reflect on the here-and-now experiences of members of *this* community, versus engage in a political/ideological mudfest. I do understand that we can’t perfectly separate the here-and-now from the cultural water we’re all swimming in.

In that well-meaning spirit, I compiled a super-cursory digest of posts by women who responded to my OP by sharing their own experiences. I’m sure I missed some relevant posts, and I recognize that my own confirmation bias is influencing what I emphasize. But I don’t think I missed a single female-identifying poster who said “nope, this is absolutely not a thing, what are you talking about.” Food for thought.

^Edit: I found ten female posters after all!

I've been a silent member of this forum for around 8 years, and am well acquainted with the dynamics you highlight here. Logged in (and had to reset my long forgotten password) just to respond

I 100% agree with you. I abandoned my old account some time back due to the aggressive rudeness and condescension of some of the male posters. When I complained about some of their behavior previously, I was told there was absolutely nothing wrong with it (by a male moderator) and then was censured for a comment I made.

The problem is that many of the replies are joking and sarcastic, which further makes the op’s point. She is trying to have a thoughtful discussion, and there are some thoughtful answers. There are also some bs replies that aim to make a joke of the topic. Maybe just don’t reply if you feel the urge to be dismissive of her (and others) concerns. Just a thought.

I stopped posting on this forum due to the experiences you shared. Thank you for opening this conversation. The problems are well illustrated by the responses on this post. Instead of giving some (politely, mindfully requested) room for female voices, posters have jumped in with sarcasm.

I can say that I both experience professional growth from this forum, and find it to be unwelcoming and to have a "boy's club" feel, though I think that's based on a relatively small number of regular posters. There absolutely can be toxicity from any gender / grouping of people, but power dynamics matter. Psychology as a field is predominantly female these days, yet nearly all of the professors at my program were male, and I know that is still the norm at most. My boss is a man. These things aren't inherently problematic, but I think what some men could think a bit more about is how much more weight comes with their sarcasm, based solely on the way power is concentrated by group. When you're perceived to be in power, your whisper can be like a shout. It's not hysteria causing females to perceive your group as in power. Look around you.

@msgeorgeeliot,
Many posters are denying that the behavior patterns here are problematic, denying that they have anything to do with toxic masculinity, and telling the OP that the conversation should not exist or only exist in pm.

This is why posters leave this forum. Their experiences are minimized and invalidated before they even have a chance to share them.

Anyway, I have seen comments that reflect male privilege and I can see why it puts off a lot of users. That being said, I don't really see any favoritism from the mods. I also am a member of message boards that are far, far meaner (check out other SDN professional forums if you want some examples) and with terrible moderation so perhaps my view is a bit skewed. I sometimes really appreciate how this board "tells it like it is," and sometimes it frustrates me. On the whole, as much as I value progressive values I do find that sometimes real conversation can be stifled by them--see social media--and I don't want that here. When the attitudes of posters do frustrate me, I try to speak out and I've generally found my responses well received. That being said, that could be because I'm part of the "old guard" described above.

At the same time, I would love a woman-only thread, because I do feel like we're missing that perspective. I do think it's telling that many of the posters agreeing with the OP here are women, including ones I don't see post often (and miss hearing from.)

Earlier, probably a few years ago now, I stepped in quite a bit more to ask that folks not patronize as much and when I spent the time to word it in the perfect, non-blaming, non-shaming way, I was met with silence or continued joking from the same folks who spoke the most often. Is it possible that this relates to gender? Sure. Is psychology free from the same gender dynamics that are inherent in society? Probably not, if we’re going to be honest. We may not know for certain, but is it not worth the reflection to consider it?

Ultimately I still try to call out patronizing stuff from time to time, but it saps my energy to get snark back when I’m “nicely” asking. Having said that, I’ve seen subtle changes over time in here positively, even though it can be overwhelming to watch the threads devolve, and these same folks have been helpful in other ways. Again, that doesn’t negate the call to reflect.

I would hope that the number of women here who are in very different places professionally, have posted here for varying amounts of time, have different life experiences generally - and who are all sharing that this board feels unwelcoming - might count as some form of substantiation. I can’t imagine how much more data you’re gonna get from an anonymous online forum. At a certain point, you just have to ask yourself if you’re flexible and imaginative enough to try and understand, or if you’re not interested in understanding the others’ perspective. No one here owes it to anyone to understand, you do you, for sure. There just seems to be a disconnect when so many posters, overwhelmingly but not exclusively male, have essentially the attitude that they are gonna snark bc they want to, but are then somehow shocked to find out that others find it unwelcoming. Just own the atmosphere it creates! If it’s such a bummer to find out how toxic other people find it, then maybe that’s some useful feedback.

It's hard to engage on this without specific examples, since I'm not sure whether we would agree on what defines egregious. I know that I've flagged several posts that I thought crossed a line in some way or another, and my recollection is that I always got an appropriate response. I don't get a sense of favoritism, but the culture of this forum leans toward "tough love" and with that comes a certain tolerance for snark and sarcasm. Like most long term posters, I value this community and to keep the experience positive for myself I have learned to pick and choose when and how I engage. Also, most of us - including those often described as "snarky" - have shared something of our struggles or perceived flaws here and there, and over time I've come to see all of the long-term posters here as human beings with strengths and weaknesses.

I'm also noticing that some women in here are careful to say that we appreciate the male folks in here, have gotten good advice from them, etc. etc. etc. as a way to soften the feedback and make sure we don't sound emotional/angry/anti-male. Does this not speak to some kind of underlying dynamic if women feel like we have to be so careful not to cause offense or else our words will be dismantled and our concerns invalidated?

I'm not looking to censor anyone (I don't think everyone else is here either, necessarily), I just want people to sometimes think before they speak, as I'd mentioned. Based on my own experiences in this thread, I stand my by point that it can seem one-sided feedback-wise at times (not always).

I personally would like to hear a wider range of voices (particularly those who currently feel hesitant to post), and I hope that will emerge from this discussion, regardless of whether we all agree or disagree.

I read the whole thread and want to offer a few thoughts on themes/questions that have come up repeatedly:

1) I'm a women who has been on SDN for a long time (7 years, according to my profile, but I'm pretty sure I had another profile before this one) and who no longer reads or posts regularly because I find the culture of this forum to be toxic.

2) Several posters have said something along the lines of "no one is prohibited to post" or "women are free to post here." However, my experience is that there is a core group of frequent posters who perpetuate a culture that is dismissive of claims of gender (and class, and racial) bias. This group tends to pile on posters who bring up issues related to social justice. This group also piles on people who dare to show ignorance (of the field, of the process of graduate training) on the board. They post more than anyone else and tend to back each other up. Some of them have self-identified as men. Others may be women...women, too, can contribute to toxic masculinity. No one is formally giving this group power, but they maintain it by operating as a group and being louder than everyone else.

3) I don't send students to SDN for information anymore. I don't come here with my own questions, either. That's fine and I'm pretty sure the SDN regulars don't miss me or the students I might send here. I do think the problems women (and some men) are raising in this thread seriously detract from the capacity of this forum to serve as a space for productive interactions among students and psychology professionals. I think that's a bad thing, but I get the sense that many of the most frequent posters do not. This is basically their space for blowing off steam by being internet trolls. Too bad for everyone else, I guess.

If you're reading this as an SDN regular and think it doesn't apply to you, there's a good chance it doesn't....props to you for sticking around. If you're reading it and thinking about how stupid I am and how you might pithily illustrate all of my logical errors to me, it probably does.

There is a certain type of exhaustion that comes with having to explain every detail of your experience when it isn’t the dominant / perceived “standard” (ie white, straight, male in many circles). Sometimes people just want to have their experiences believed without having a public rectal exam.

I’m curious about the posters here who seem rankled by the overall theme of this thread: why is this topic so bothersome? Especially since there are a lot of us on here who are not trying to tone-police in the sense of forcing you to stop being snarky?

If the point is to say, hey, this behavior is well within your rights, but also it’s a bummer, at times seems anathema to the goal of SDN (“helping students”), and is generally perceived to be unwelcoming, do you have any response to that? Because if it’s just not a concern to you, then why is this thread a concern? Just ignore the whole thing, we can’t kick you off the forum, what difference does it make to you personally?

When a jury tries to figure out whether to believe a witness, one of the typical questions they might ask themselves is: what motive would this witness have to lie?

So, what motive would the people on this thread who are sharing their experiences have to lie here? There is no award. Honestly, I find it a bit embarrassing to be sharing these things, I don't like telling people that something hurts my feelings or makes me feel insecure.

Just as in real life, it is usually those with the most power/benefits within the structure that have the most dismissive, derailing, and derisive attitudes towards the mere discussion of changing the structure. I am not sure what's worse: the utter lack of insight and self awareness being shown by some of the more 'popular' users or the full awareness yet willful indifference to the points brought up by the OP.

It just makes me laugh because even the posts calling out people for engaging in maladaptive communication style while calling out people, are engaging in the same maladaptive style while calling out people. That statement means exactly what it says.

And for the sake of contributing productively, I agree with everything the OP said and a good 70% of the responses accusing her of seeking confirmation are literally confirming everything she said.

p.s. assuming this board is remotely reflective of the field at large, albeit speaking from the vantage point of my especially non-diverse specialty, it is not such a leap to assume certain key demographics of the participants in our little circle. So miss me with the faux outrage of "well how do you know what demographic I am??" because it adds about as much to this conversation as "I know you are but what am I?" It SCREAMS a consciousness of guilt, and does nothing but deflect and further derail.

p.p.s if being an a-hole on this site means so much to you that you choose to e-die on the 6-page hill of defending your right to be so despite it being made abundantly and justly clear how that behavior is affecting the comfort of other users of the forum, then I TRULY am very very worried about your mental health.

I don't see anything wrong with asking men to hold off until the female perspective is delivered. I don't see anything wrong in another thread asking women to hold off until the male perspective is delivered. It's not shutting down communication; it's offering a space for a perspective based on a category, then opening up the discussion.

There is an unfortunate dynamic on this board that seems to confuse the concept of personal responsibility with the language of blame. I am a strong believer in personal responsibility as well as the concept that although certain things are not our fault, we still are responsible to deal with them. However, when someone comes to this board with a genuine concern and the response is blaming, that shuts down discourse. For example, awhile ago someone came here asking for tips on how to navigate a large six figure debt. I understand the horrified reaction from some posters, but piling on with insults is pointless. It's already done. She wasn't considering taking out the six figure debt, she already had it. So why rub salt in the wound? Just give her tips if you have them, and otherwise talk to someone else offline about her choices. And continue on here to advise people who are considering the debt to not do it - while the power of that choice is still theirs.

As for me, I'm a female board certified licensed psychologist in a supervisory position. I'm saying that not to toot my own horn, but to relay why some responses get frustrating to me. I posted a question awhile ago asking colleagues on this board for their language in communicating their unique positions and expertise to colleagues that basically don't understand how we are different than counselors, social workers and so on. The initial responses I got (from male posters) were along the lines of, well why are you different? Why do you think you'd have anything else to offer your job than a social worker? As if I'd never thought of that. The tone was condescending, the post derailed my question, and it was frustrating. Because I'm not a newbie and I don't want to be talked to like one. As for gender, if Jon Snow had posted that same question, I suspect he would have gotten respectful responses and be spoken to like an equal. Is it entirely based on gender? I don't know. But I do believe that factor is at play to some degree.

Women get messages to shut up all the time. That's just our reality. Words like "hysterical" or "emotional" are used. When I started one of my jobs, I was professional, polite, and competent. When a social worker was hired to work under me, the head of the department described me to him as "Very competent. Emotional, but competent." I had become angry once, when he said he would not provide me a space to work in, saying I'd have to come in early and find out who had called off sick and work in their office for the day, every day. No, I did not scream, I did not cry, I did not threaten. I simply became angry and advised him & someone else in leadership that I would be leaving the position if they could not provide me as a licensed psychologist a space to work. But that was the result of female justified anger. I'm emotional. Of course, the social worker was wary of me for awhile which did not make my job any easier. This is not an isolated incident. Stuff like this has been occurring to me or others my entire career. A psychiatrist using my first name to a patient, and referring to me as a "girl" would be the most recent. It gets frustrating. And when it's mirrored on this forum, I think it takes courage to point it out. For the males who are thinking that this isn't gendered, I'd ask you to try to think of the last time someone called you emotional, hysterical, or a "boy."

That said, yes, it goes too far. People grab power and use it. In my graduate program, one person in particular used categories to justify their (yes this grammatically incorrect but I don't want to reveal too much) standpoint on everything and became the tone police for the entire department while getting away with egregious behavior themselves. It was horrid. There was no discourse after a certain point. Everyone would sit silently in class. It baffled new professors coming in. No one felt comfortable communicating when they were there, so no one did. And no one learned from others' experiences, which was really sad.

That's not happening on this forum. The fact that this thread exists and people feel comfortable responding makes that point. Thank you, @msgeorgeeliot, for posting it.

For me, it's not really about empathy. I honestly don't care if anyone on this forum empathizes with me. But I dislike being talked down to, and I have found it to be the case that it happens on here. I'd be interested in a study that looks at whose opinions/feedback are treated with respect and given thoughtful criticism and whose aren't. Because I'm okay with nuanced intellectual debate and criticism. But not with condescension disguised as brutally honest but good feedback.

Something came out awhile ago about the Arrested Development conversation that was held discussing the verbal abuse one of the actors gave one of the actresses. The men all basically joined together, primarily vocalized by Jason Bateman, and said no, Jeffrey's great, he's always been great to me, no issues, he's a role model. Well, of course, that's because you're in. You're part of the club. So for the males here to be talking with each other about how open the forum is to everyone... well, hang out with Jason Bateman I guess.

I've been on a lot of forums. This one isn't the worst, and isn't the best. But across the boards (pun intended), male posters who offered input of substance were treated with respect, while female posters who offered input of substance frequently were not, and worse, they were perceived as looking for empathy and hugs vs. wanting an honest intellectual conversation.

Last edited:
  • Love
From your op.

“I am also unapologetic about my feminist perspective, my passion for social justice issues”

This whole thread was motivated by political ideology. Whole thing. But you want to kill that part? What’s the debate then?

You appear to want everyone to conform to a feminist, social justice language and tone space without discussing any counters to that perspective. Or.... basically what progressive liberals like to do when they disagree with people. Simply shut down the discussion.

You’re buying the beer.

Cool. I prefer Belgian ales that are sour, much like my toxic-liberal, man-hating heart ;)

I think it’s simply more interesting to reflect on the here-and-now experiences of members of *this* community, versus engage in a political/ideological mudfest. I do understand that we can’t perfectly separate the here-and-now from the cultural water we’re all swimming in.

In that well-meaning spirit, I compiled a super-cursory digest of posts by women who responded to my OP by sharing their own experiences. I’m sure I missed some relevant posts, and I recognize that my own confirmation bias is influencing what I emphasize. But I don’t think I missed a single female-identifying poster who said “nope, this is absolutely not a thing, what are you talking about.” Food for thought.
Again, if someone could link the offending posts they referenced here we could all evaluate the claims.

• Haha
That said it flies both ways. The OP of this thread trolled me in two recent unrelated threads including the one I mentioned. Her only contributions to both threads were to attack me. That is welcoming? I don't think anyone has the high ground here all the time.

EDIT: maybe @MamaPhD , she is consistently pretty thoughtful.

Ah, but from the feminist, social justice perspective, she does have the high ground simply because you’re a guy. Power dynamics, you know. Ok for her, not ok for you.... unless you can claim to be Indian and maybe gay, then she might need to apologize.

This right here exemplifies the issues we have. Unnecessary and quite rude. You can do better.

Reactions: 4 users
I suppose I could offend everybody and say that this epic thread reminds me of Married with Children: Season 1...but I won't do that.

I suppose I could offend everybody and say that this epic thread reminds me of Married with Children: Season 1...but I won't do that.

I loved that show...read into that what you will.

Sweet, who says this thread hasn't been useful!

This type of comment is also dismissive and discourages posters from sharing about their personal experiences and concerns. The implication is that the only useful thing about the thread is an off-topic entertainment suggestion.

This type of comment is also dismissive and discourages posters from sharing about their personal experiences and concerns. The implication is that the only useful thing about the thread is an off-topic entertainment suggestion.

Not the only useful thing, but possibly the most useful thing to me personally.

Sweet, who says this thread hasn't been useful!

EDIT: $26.99 on Amazon. Going in the cart now!
It comes with crappy packaging but, for the number of seasons and episodes you get, you can spring for a cheap DVD case to put the discs in.