Which Q-bank during 1st year(If at all)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tealeafexplorer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I will be an oms1 this summer and my school teaches a systems based curriculum. I dug through my schools curriculum and it looks like the whole first year is mainly anatomy and physiology of all the systems, with the second year doing another run through of each system but going in depth into the pathophysiology of the systems.

I plan on supplementing lecture with BnB videos as well as anki cards as I roll through the systems. I wondering if a Q bank will be helpful to run through as well at this point and if so which one? I'm thinking maybe Kaplan or usmlerx. Or do you all think I should not do a q bank and why?

TLDR: which q bank to do during OMS1 systems curriculum?

Members don't see this ad.

You can complete 100% of all 3 major qbanks if you started at the start of your 2nd year or the summer leading into second year. No need to rush into those questions only to forget everything. Some of the hard questions on step1 will require you to actually think back to some of the minutiae from your first year classes (anatomy especially), so I'd say the best thing for a first year in a curriculum like yours is probably better off just doing very well in class. Cover sketchymicro bugs alongside micro when they become relevant, and consider watching bits and pieces of boards and beyond when certain videos becomes relevant. And keep in mind that only focusing on high yields will likely land you a spot near/within the middle of the bell curve. If you wanna be great, focus on everything.

I would only do questions related to your 1st year subjects: biochem, anatomy, physiology etc. Please don't ruin UW starting it too early - you will simply not get efficient knowledge out of it if you haven't covered pharm, path, micro etc. Wait until 2nd year and start in December. Even then just do organ system based questions that correspond to your lectures. Random and timed UW is only worth doing during 2nd year last semester when you'll be 1 month before dedicated. There's no point in doing it earlier imho.

Reactions: 1 user