Which ROTC program...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etsybetsy07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a college student and decided to change my career to nursing. I am debating between joining Army, Navy or Air Force ROTC for nursing.... any recommendations? Or which one is the best deal?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

deleted
I am currently a college student and decided to change my career to nursing. I am debating between joining Army, Navy or Air Force ROTC for nursing.... any recommendations? Or which one is the best deal?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Thanks!

First off, I'll ask you a question. Are you considering doing ROTC because you have an actual desire to be in the military? You REALLY need to answer that question first before proceeding. I tell this to people who talk to me about HPSP. Reason being is that you're loans will take care of themselves in the end (nursing is a career in high demand), but if you're unhappy with the military your commitment can seem like forever. I know, I've been there.

As for ROTC, I'm pretty sure they're all about average. No one service is going to offer you anything better than another. It may be different, but not a "better" deal. It really boils down to what branch you are interested in pursuing.

I've heard good and bad things about each branch, but overall I've heard the best things about the Army. Take that for what it's worth. Know this though, considering the United States' current endeavors (Afghanistan, Iraq, etc) there is a very good chance you WILL deploy (regardless of service). I would be very surprised if you didn't, particularly as a nurse. So again, make sure you want to be an officer (soldier) first and a nurse second.

Members don't see this ad :)
oops. wrong place. you all are talking about the military.
:)

many hospital-based programs available, good choice from a financial standpoint. They hire you to work as a part time CNA, and sign a contract, usually two years. They pay all the tuition and books. After that, you could go back to a four year to get your BSN, hospital pays that as well if you have worked for more than 6 months.
You may do some google search for these in your area.

The Army is the largest branch (manpower-wise) so your odds of getting the job you want are better there (via simply supply and demand, not because the Army personnel system is so amazing). The Air Force takes the best care of its people (as in puts a significant amount of it's funds into base housing, rec centers, etc), I suppose the Navy is somewhere in the middle.

It's been a while since I was an ROTC Cadidiot, and I am not sure if there are special programs for nurses or not. However, I can't imagine the military wouldn't branch you as a nurse if you obtained your BSN.

For everyone else in ROTC, you request your job and the gaining service has the final say on what you do.

I'd look into it, read all the fine print, and verify everything someone in uniform at an ROTC office tells you.

If it were me and I wanted to be a nurse, I'd go into the Air Force and live the good life with minimal deployments and little, if any, time in the field or on a ship.

Your chances might be better if you go into the military after you get your BSN with a loan forgiveness program. ROTC is a commitment unto itself and you will have to go to band camp (aka advanced camp or whatever the hell they are calling it these days), PT at 0600 three times a week (more or less depending on the program), and all the other things that go with it.

First off, I'll ask you a question. Are you considering doing ROTC because you have an actual desire to be in the military? You REALLY need to answer that question first before proceeding.

So again, make sure you want to be an officer (soldier) first and a nurse second.

Quoted for truth.

Granted, I was "just" an enlisted Infantry type, not one of you high falutin' Officer people. Still, if you are raising your right hand to solemnly swear that you will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic; that you will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that you will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over you, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice - so help you God just for some college dough, you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

Guys I know that enlisted for dumb reasons (college money, the admiration of the opposite sex, the chance to appear on CNN sporting a nifty black rifle, etc.) usually had a pretty rough go. Often, they hated military life so much that they did dumb things, resulting in Bad Conduct Discharges or even Dishonorable Discharges. Those follow you around for the rest of your life. What's worse is that they made life hell/more dangerous for the people around them. While the bennies are nice, there has to be some desire deep inside you to subsume yourself to a team serving a purpose much larger than yourself. Otherwise, you will have a really, really sh*tty time of things. You will also let down some people who are counting on you.

Go and read some posts here by people who realize that going to med school was a mistake for them. Recognize how trapped they feel and how miserable they are. Those feelings pale in comparison to realizing you are wearing a treesuit for the wrong reasons, and there are years to go before you can spruce up your wardrobe.

I'm not doubting your patriotism or man/womanhood or anything - I (and others on this thread) just want you to think about the big picture. If you truly want to serve, you should do so. One of the docs I work for now was an Air Force flight surgeon. He did his time, and got out debt free. It's worked out great for him. Still, he wanted to be an Officer first, doc second.

I'd look into it, read all the fine print, and verify everything someone in uniform at an ROTC office tells you.

This advice is golden. If it ain't on your contract, it ain't happening.

Godspeed and Semper Fidelis,

Savage Henry

Last edited: