This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3toedsloth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My vote is for the Chicago School of Medicine at Rosalind Franklin.

My experience this year was:

FIRST, They assigned me a day to interview e. I was unable to make this date because my dad was undergoing surgery and I wanted to be there for him. When I told them this, they said "Should you be unable to make that date, you will forfeit your invitation and we will cancel your application." This was months before the scheduled interview. I didn't have any acceptances in hand yet, so I figured out who else could take care of my dad after surgery and spent the money to travel and stay in Chicago (ehm, no, some ****ty suburb 45 min from Chicago).

NEXT, during the interview day they had like 40-50 interviewees and it felt like a rushed and disorganized zoo. In one of my MMI sessions, there was a question that has some vague mention of religious groups. I entered and began to give my answer, and the interviewer talked over me, asked if I am religious, and then when I declined to answer, went on about how religious people are the most difficult patients because they're impossible to educate.

FINALLY, these guys said they'd take 6-8 weeks to get back. It's been almost 6 MONTHS since the interview. After the 8-week mark, i started calling monthly to check on my app. I'm always told "it's still under review and no decision has been made." I spent several hundred dollars to attend this interview, gave up being there for my dad when he needed me, and they literally just don't give a **** about their applicants. They couldn't even be bothered to waitlist, place on hold, or reject me for months and months. CMS @ RFU is the worst.

What's your experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users

That's so funny because I LOVED the Georgetown admissions staff.

@Jalby 's post is so old that I think they've replaced the staff by now. Nowadays, they're great.

Also, out of 10 interviews, Georgetown had the best food BY FAR. Creighton was def second, though. Gotta love those Jesuits and their need to feed us well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This probably doesn’t qualify as the worst, but...

At my Drexel interview nobody was there to greet us. When it was time, a tech brought us to a room where we were shown a 20 min video. Someone from the admissions office then asked if we had questions. Then we were basically on our own for the rest of the morning. They also made me stay for an extra 3 hours because they couldn’t find a replacement for my faculty interviewer who couldn’t make it...they never found a replacement so I was interviewed by a non-faculty member who usually doesn’t do interviews (he was actually AMAZING and my favorite part of my interview).

They said that I would hear back in 6-8 weeks, but after 12 weeks, I was still waiting. I ended up withdrawing pre-decision.

Ohhh! And, I uploaded an update in October, and was going to upload another update in March, but when I checked my portal in March, I saw that instead of my update, there was an update from someone else on my account (with their personal information and everything). I called the admissions office and they were shocked. They fixed it within a week though.

They also could not accomadate someone in my interview group’s very reasonable dietary restrictions.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only complaint is that two schools' Admissions offices did a poor job of matching me with my interviewer(s). They matched me to PhD interviewers when my application specifically did not have research, but mucho clinical experience. Unsurprisingly, the last PhD interviewer I had was the WORST of my entire cycle. I didn't get offers from both of these schools, but did from all other schools that matched me correctly to MD interviewers.

They matched me to PhD interviewers when my application specifically did not have research, but mucho clinical experience.

I don't see what the issue is? A number of medical school faculty have PhDs and are members of admissions committees. There's also MDs that do very little clinical work and primarily do medical research as well. Sounds like your issue was you just didn't mesh with your interviewer, not that they are PhDs

Reactions: 7 users
The issue was that both the schools advertised that they match interviewers to applicants strong points, which they didn't in my case.

The MDs who interviewed me were practicing clinicians who engaged me extensively in my years of clinical experience. While one PhD emeritus asked, "What is the ED?" aka Emergency Department where I volunteered at, while the other physics PhD kept going into detail about his research instead of asking me about who I was as an applicant. The WORST PhD interviewer wasn't even prepared for the interview.

Reactions: 1 users
In one of my MMI sessions, there was a question that has some vague mention of religious groups. I entered and began to give my answer, and the interviewer talked over me, asked if I am religious, and then when I declined to answer, went on about how religious people are the most difficult patients because they're impossible to educate.
I don't really see anything wrong with this, it's an MMI station, that's kind of the point

Reactions: 1 user
My vote is for the Chicago School of Medicine at Rosalind Franklin.

My experience this year was:

FIRST, They assigned me a day to interview an interview date. I was unable to make this date because my dad was undergoing surgery and I wanted to be there for him. When I told them this, they said "Should you be unable to make that date, you will forfeit your invitation and we will cancel your application." I didn't have any acceptances in hand yet, so I figured out who else could take care of my dad after surgery and spent the money to travel and stay in Chicago (ehm, no, some ****ty suburb 45 min from Chicago).

NEXT, during the interview day they had like 40-50 interviewees and it felt like a rushed and disorganized zoo. In one of my MMI sessions, there was a question that has some vague mention of religious groups. I entered and began to give my answer, and the interviewer talked over me, asked if I am religious, and then when I declined to answer, went on about how religious people are the most difficult patients because they're impossible to educate.

FINALLY, these guys said they'd take 6-8 weeks to get back. It's been almost 6 MONTHS since the interview. After the 8-week mark, i started calling monthly to check on my app. I'm always told "it's still under review and no decision has been made." I spent several hundred dollars to attend this interview, gave up being there for my dad when he needed me, and they literally just don't give a **** about their applicants. They couldn't even be bothered to waitlist, place on hold, or reject me for months and months. CMS @ RFU is the worst.

What's your experience?
You might consider changing your title to read "staff" or "process" rather than "committee". Some of your complaints have little to do with the committee itself.

Reactions: 2 users
You might consider changing your title to read "staff" or "process" rather than "committee". Some of your complaints have little to do with the committee itself.

But we already know who has the worst admissions staff in the country.

Reactions: 5 users
the worst admission committees are "those that didn't interview/accept me"

obligatory SDN joke that I've seen a bajillion times ... ok bye.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't really see anything wrong with this, it's an MMI station, that's kind of the point

It wasn't an acting station. I'm not allowed to provide the exact question, but it was very remotely related to religion. This same interviewer did it to multiple people on my interview day, and it seemed as if he was trying to just make sure religious folks don't get in. In a job interview, it would be illegal to ask a person what religion they are and then go off on a rant about how horrible religious folks are. I don't know if it's illegal in a medical school interview, but it was definitely offensive and unnecessary. And I'm not super religious, but I do have (smart, reasonable) friends who are.

I'm sure the faculty at RFU is lovely, and the students seemed great. You're right, my complaint is about the folks in the admissions office. "Worst staff ever" is probably a better title. Don't think I can change it now, though.

Last edited:
You're right, my complaint is about the folks in the admissions office. "Worst staff ever" is probably a better title. Don't think I can change it now, though.
At the top of your thread, below the title and on the right, is a "Thread Tools" notation with an arrow next to it. You can edit the title from there.

At the top of your thread, below the title and on the right, is a "Thread Tools" notation with an arrow next to it. You can edit the title from there.

Found it! Done :)

Thx

I don't know about admissions staff... But the worst process that I personally experienced was UCSD. They were a hot mess on interview day.

First they interview over 30 students in a day, which by itself is ridiculous and you definitely just feel lost in the crowd. But they make sure to have you feel right at home at the start by trying to sit everyone in a small conference room where there aren't even enough chairs to sit everyone. I wonder, did they forget to count the number of people they were having over?? There was no coffee or food either, which is honestly just kind of cheap.

Those are small things, but it went downhill from there. They split up the interview group into two, where one half went and did MMIs and the other half had "down time" for about 2 hours. They had absolutely nothing planned for us other than sitting in on a lecture, which is fine I suppose... But then a faculty member comes in when we are about to leave and informs us they "forgot" to mention this to the lecturer so we actually couldn't go. HUH? So we ended up wandering aimlessly around campus for a couple of hours to pass the time.

Lunch was miserable, like brown bag lunch quality. Then students took us on a "tour" which was very literally walking around the perimeter of the med school building, pointing in directions of where things were located, and then taking us back to the conference room. We never actually set foot indoors. I think that took all of 15-20 min? They ended the day with a Q&A session led by a staff member who admitted he was brand new and could actually not answer any of our questions, especially about financial aid or specific programs at the school. He just told us to contact the office when the actual head of the department was in (they were out that day I guess), which is useless.

So through the whole thing it seemed like they were completely unprepared, didn't give a damn about us, or some combo of both. I hope my day was an isolated incident and that others had a better experience. I think the worst part is they then go ahead and waitlist 2/3rds of ALL interviewees, giving them a massive roster, but then go on to have essentially no waitlist movement LOL.

I'm sure its a great school but they are laughably horrendous at organizing themselves through the application process.

Reactions: 9 users
I did not like Rosalind Franklin University as well. The director of admissions came down during our pizza dinner and asked us where else people were applying. Honestly ruined the moment of me devouring these cheesy slices of bread for me.

One of my interviewer came in 40min late, glanced at my file for about five seconds, leaned back on his chair sooo much to the point I was wondering when will it give out, and had his shoes on top of his desk. I wanted to scream get that shoes off this table sir, but ofc instead pretended to be awestruck by his fashionable shoes. dick. was also a dick surgeon, too.

It wasn't an acting station. I'm not allowed to provide the exact question, but it was very remotely related to religion. This same interviewer did it to multiple people on my interview day, and it seemed as if he was trying to just make sure religious folks don't get in. In a job interview, it would be illegal to ask a person what religion they are and then go off on a rant about how horrible religious folks are. I don't know if it's illegal in a medical school interview, but it was definitely offensive and unnecessary. And I'm not super religious, but I do have (smart, reasonable) friends who are.
I mean, if he was doing that to everyone then chances are it was something he was doing to see how interviewees would react, that's not super uncommon for MMIs. I had plenty of MMI stations where the interviewer was purposefully rude or dismissive. The whole point is to see whether or not you can handle an awkward situation with composure and principle. I think your other examples are legit, it just seems kind of silly to include a possibly contrived interview scenario

@asrw77

I don't think he was trying to extrapolate the experience to judge the entire school. Maybe it just came off that way.

And the fact that the interviewer did it to other applicants doesn't necessarily mean it was a "test".

This definitely isn't the worst, but it was annoying.

I got an interview at Penn, but the two options they gave me were days that I already had interviews at other schools. I called up to explain the situation, and they told me I should decide, then and there, whose interview I would rather attend.

Let's be clear - Penn is an amazing place, and was one of my dream schools. But with no acceptances in hand, what was I supposed to do? Pray that I didn't just cancel my one acceptance? Luckily, they relented, and I was able to go on all my interviews.

Reactions: 3 users
I mean, if he was doing that to everyone then chances are it was something he was doing to see how interviewees would react, that's not super uncommon for MMIs. I had plenty of MMI stations where the interviewer was purposefully rude or dismissive. The whole point is to see whether or not you can handle an awkward situation with composure and principle. I think your other examples are legit, it just seems kind of silly to include a possibly contrived interview scenario

No. It wasn't an interview scenario. It was just that guy's thoughts.

I talked to numerous other applicants that day. He did it to some, but not all.

Last edited:
No. It wasn't an interview scenario. It was just that guy's thoughts.

I talked to numerous other applicants that day. He did it to some, but not all.

I talked to the admissions staff about it and they apologized. I don't think they would have apologized if it had been planned. That guy really just discriminates against religious folks.
Sure, you were the one who was there so if that's the vibe you got then I'm inclined to believe you.

Just trying to make the point that interviewers saying off-putting/semi-aggressive things in MMI stations does happen and shouldn't be used to judge the quality of the school. Had one person straight up tell me "you're wrong, I disagree" after I gave my answer to the prompt. Just tried to make sure I handled it with humility

I'm going to cast my ballot for UIC.

-You can only call them once per week during select hours. I thought this was just unnecessary - I didn't hound them with calls, I just wanted to speak to someone once in awhile about whether or not my application was complete since they basically don't use any online systems, rescheduling an interview, and an update like once every six weeks or so.
-Essentially no online system like the rest of the universe uses. When I got an interview invitation, I had to schedule it by phone, and it was either getting a date a week from then or more than a month later. So I called them as soon as they opened with two phones in my hand and got a busy signal for 45 minutes and ended up with an interview that was probably late enough to put me at a disadvantage relative to people who were able to schedule it earlier. This system seems to have few winners.
-Lack of communication that really left a bad taste in my mouth. I interviewed in February, they told me I was on the waitlist in like May or June, and then they never again spoke to me. So I suppose I'm still on the waitlist there. I know that they're holding all the cards, but I just don't think it's necessary to disrespect people like that. Send a nice rejection letter. It's free and takes 2 minutes.

Besides that, I enjoyed the actual interview day itself and thought they came across well in person. But the rest of the process did not paint them in a positive light for me.

On the other hand, the schools that were professional and respectful really impressed me, even if I didn't even come close to getting in. I remember I sent an update letter to Sidney Kimmel University and the actual director of admissions responded personally and told me it was added to my file. No bureaucratic nonsense or doubletalk, it was just a simple and pleasant interaction. Of course, I would later be rejected pre-interview, but I still remember that they treated me really well.

UCR misspelled my name on my name badge as well as all the documents that they handed to me on interview day. Obviously not the worst thing that could happen, but come on man.

Second CMS for worst staff ever, I've had the exact same experience but the first date they offered me was TWO days after I got the II.. if i didnt make the second date they offered I forfeit my II. Unreasonably inflexible? I think so..

Reactions: 4 users
That Jalby dude certainly seems to tie a lot of his identity and self esteem into a seventeen year old thread.
Tell me about it. It is almost like it has been his sole purpose of coming back to SDN for a while.

I'm gonna have to say Georgetown.

Reactions: 10 users
In all seriousness, Georgetown was the worst/most awkward experience of my interview season.

Honestly, it's a good school, but the whole interview day was quite bizarre. It was my first interview, so I didn't know what to expect. One admissions lady gave a literal 30 minute speech on awesome Georgetown is, and then another adcom proceeded to inform us that we should write FIVE I repeat FIVE letters of interest or intent, including one soon after the interview. I was completely flabbergasted because there is no way you can write a GENUINE letter of intent before you even interview at other places right?? Am I missing something??

Like I said, it's a good school, but I am pretty sure no one with integrity or honesty can write a letter right after an interview in September stating that Georgetown is THE PLACE they want to go lol (or even one of the top 3). The interview day was basically a Georgetown kowtow session, and left me feeling peripheral at best.

At my Drexel interview nobody was there to greet us. When it was time, a tech brought us to a room where we were shown a 20 min video. Someone from the admissions office then asked if we had questions. Then we were basically on our own for the rest of the morning. They also made me stay for an extra 3 hours because they couldn’t find a replacement for my faculty interviewer who couldn’t make it...they never found a replacement so I was interviewed by a non-faculty member who usually doesn’t do interviews (he was actually AMAZING and my favorite part of my interview).

They said that I would hear back in 6-8 weeks, but after 12 weeks, I was still waiting. I ended up withdrawing pre-decision.

Ohhh! And, I uploaded an update in October, and was going to upload another update in March, but when I checked my portal in March, I saw that instead of my update, there was an update from someone else on my account (with their personal information and everything). I called the admissions office and they were shocked. They fixed it within a week though.

They also could not accomadate someone in my interview group’s very reasonable dietary restrictions.

When I applied to Drexel for undergrad, their admissions staff completely forgot to send me an acceptance package with my scholarship and everything. They called me four days before classes started and asked me if I was planning on registering for class. I said that I would have had I been accepted, and their response was, “Um... Congratulations!”

Lol. Also, their “100% scholarship” only covered 50% of the tuition. Rutgers gave me no money, but it was still cheaper to go there.

Edit: that said, my sister went there for her undergrad, her masters, and her PhD, so I guess it’s a decent institution.

Reactions: 3 users
In all seriousness, Georgetown was the worst/most awkward experience of my interview season.

Honestly, it's a good school, but the whole interview day was quite bizarre. It was my first interview, so I didn't know what to expect. One admissions lady gave a literal 30 minute speech on awesome Georgetown is, and then another adcom proceeded to inform us that we should write FIVE I repeat FIVE letters of interest or intent, including one soon after the interview. I was completely flabbergasted because there is no way you can write a GENUINE letter of intent before you even interview at other places right?? Am I missing something??

Like I said, it's a good school, but I am pretty sure no one with integrity or honesty can write a letter right after an interview in September stating that Georgetown is THE PLACE they want to go lol (or even one of the top 3). The interview day was basically a Georgetown kowtow session, and left me feeling peripheral at best.

I'm pretty sure you misunderstood them. I interviewed there in September too.

You pulled the words right out of the adcom's mouth. Ms Sullivan literally said "it is pretty unlikely that you can write a letter of intent before interviewing at other places, but when you know, we want to know."

I don't remember her or anyone else saying to send five letters of intent. Lmao... that would be really excessive.

*laughs in FERPA*

You pulled the words right out of the adcom's mouth. Ms Sullivan literally said "it is pretty unlikely that you can write a letter of intent before interviewing at other places, but when you know, we want to know."

I don't remember her or anyone else saying to send five letters of intent. Lmao... that would be really excessive.

I also interviewed on one of the first interview days, and Mrs. Sullivan distinctly said that we should send 5 spaced out LOIs (interest...not necessarily intent) throughout the application cycle. She gave specifics with regards to time frame of these letters too. I have the notes, lol. That was very real, and her speech on that day last 1.5 hours.

Reactions: 6 users
I also interviewed on one of the first interview days, and Mrs. Sullivan distinctly said that we should send 5 spaced out LOIs (interest...not necessarily intent) throughout the application cycle. She gave specifics with regards to time frame of these letters too. I have the notes, lol. That was very real, and her speech on that day last 1.5 hours.

Lol, tiramisu, I also explicitly remember them saying to send five letters, and which months to send them. It was wild. 1.5 hours though?? It definitely wasn't that long on my day. I was like guess I am not getting in here because there is no way I am writing 5 redundant letters. I wouldn't even write 5 meaningless letters to Harvard!

I know I'm being harsh; I understand why they want people to commit and feel strongly about their school, but they need to tone it down a few notches

Lol, tiramisu, I also explicitly remember them saying to send five letters, and which months to send them. It was wild. 1.5 hours though?? It definitely wasn't that long on my day. I was like guess I am not getting in here because there is no way I am writing 5 redundant letters. I wouldn't even write 5 meaningless letters to Harvard!

I know I'm being harsh; I understand why they want people to commit and feel strongly about their school, but they need to tone it down a few notches

Oh. Well, I have the ears of a 90-year-old, and I do remember struggling to hear her sometimes. And I didn't take notes. So, if multiple people are saying it.... it must be true and I just missed it. lol

@Jalby is still winning, after all these years. :rolleyes:

Yes, 1.5 hours!! It was crazy. I heard that they changed that pretty soon in subsequent interviews though.

If anything, I appreciate G-town's transparency for how to get into their school. I was fortunate to not have to play their game, but it's at least nice to know the rules.

Yes, 1.5 hours!! It was crazy. I heard that they changed that pretty soon in subsequent interviews though.

If anything, I appreciate G-town's transparency for how to get into their school. I was fortunate to not have to play their game, but it's at least nice to know the rules.

That’s the least they can do after you paid the secondary fee.

I actually wonder how many people refused to apply to GTown after the Jalby thread. It's gotta be at least a couple.

OP your experiences don't remotely warrant being included in a "worst staff in the country" thread. Seems like you're upset about not getting in despite listing several reasons you likely didn't come across well to them in this thread alone.

OP your experiences don't remotely warrant being included in a "worst staff in the country" thread. Seems like you're upset about not getting in despite listing several reasons you likely didn't come across well to them in this thread alone.

OP did end up getting in, tho.

After something like 5.5-6 months, I sent them a withdraw email. A few days later, they accepted me. Smh...

After something like 5.5-6 months, I sent them a withdraw email. A few days later, they accepted me. Smh...
Really wish I knew what was going on with their admissions this year!

Lol that isn't a great look on their part.

If only there was still a thread out there that you could read before applying that would tell you the Georgetown only admits people who write letters of intent and they are the worst admissions department in america because of doing things like this. If only......

Right here.
Thank you.

Ms. Sullivan was actually in charge of the Georgetown Admissions department back in my day, too. Back then the US News and world reports was partially based on acceptance % so they were trying to game the system.

And I always say, they actually would have made more money offering me a full ride than what they did to me. Everybody having to spend $150+ in fees that is profit for them and only getting accepted if you write a LOI is absolutely wrong and i don't know of another school that does that.