Which school to attend...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HalfListic

Reaction score
Maybe I'm being to blunt here, but to everyone asking where they should go to school in these open forums, what do you expect to get from the general Internet crowd?? You might as well be asking, do I like blue or green better?

Where do you want to live and which school do you like better. These are personal opinions that you'll have to decide. How is a group of randoms supposed to answer this for you?

Ps I'm not saying its an easy choice, I am still deciding between schools now too...but I couldn't care less what the general SDN consensus of my schools is. I am researching each school and getting into contact with specific people whom I trust and are not biased.

Unless you want someone to make the decision for you, or you are asking something specific about the schools (ie, which of the two school has this or that), then I think this is a wasted question, a wasted thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe I'm being to blunt here, but to everyone asking where they should go to school in these open forums, what do you expect to get from the general Internet crowd?? You might as well be asking, do I like blue or green better?

Where do you want to live and which school do you like better. These are personal opinions that you'll have to decide. How is a group of randoms supposed to answer this for you?

Ps I'm not saying its an easy choice, I am still deciding between schools now too...but I couldn't care less what the general SDN consensus of my schools is. I am researching each school and getting into contact with specific people whom I trust and are not biased.

Unless you want someone to make the decision for you, or you are asking something specific about the schools (ie, which of the two school has this or that), then I think this is a wasted question, a wasted thread.

I think this is a wasted question, a wasted thread.

a wasted thread.

sometimes talking it over with somebody can help you realize what you really want.

often you see it in their description. they say lots of good things about the school they like more.

you're right, but try to be more realistic than idealistic!

Members don't see this ad :)
While I agree with you in that a lot of it boils down to personal preferences, sometimes it just helps to talk it out. Also, you get to hear other point of views since we all look at things differently. Never hurts to have too much information especially when it concerns where you're investing 200k in your education. IMO..

Sent from my LG-E739 using SDN Mobile

I agree but my objective was to get some inputs from others regarding my pros and cons and whether they are necessarily the case or even important aspects to consider. I think people like munchy, wily, neuro, doc and frk can contribute a lot to these kinda of questions and I really appreciate their comments. I also pm alot of medical students as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

There's a big difference between being told what you should do, and getting guidance from someone acting in the role of a coach. A good coach will ask the right questions, in order to get YOU to think about what YOU want, to make an informed decision. This is what people intend to get out of it, not you should go to xyz school because of xyz.

Because many people on here also interviewed at some of the same schools as I did so they can bring up points that I may have missed out on. Its not like we are asking random people who have no clue about these schools. Many people on here have also done a lot of research on the schools I am interested in so getting their perspective on things can only help me.

I think it's because most people don't have the opportunity to do a "second look" before the December deposit and they want some other perspectives their decision. It's true that a person's own perception of the school has the biggest impact, and I think most people will choose a school based on their gut feeling. But it's fun to discuss and compare different schools.

Personally, I'm looking to hear from the medical students. The people you talk to at the interviews during lunch and on the tour are generally first and second years and while they can provide insight to the pre-clinical years, but they know little about the clinical years. I want to hear from the people doing rotations and applying to residencies, which is another beast in itself.

I respectfully disagree. I could state my reasons, but instead I'm going to quote FrkyBgStok:

I understand what you are saying but it is great to get input. Different things are important to other people and someone might come with a fact you never knew that could really affect your decision

OK, well I see that some of you just like to talk it out on here. While thats not something I would find helpful, I can see the value in that for some.

My biggest reservation about these threads is that they are a breeding ground for misinformation. Much of the time opinion is expressed as fact in these and many more people read them than just the few who comment. Even those great med students, like big wily, don't have much more info than you can get on your own and are each an n=1...so I just want to make sure people are making their own minds up and getting as close to an unbiased look at their schools as possible.

Carry on.

Last edited:
I actually agree with the OP. I think it's kinda strange that sometimes people care so much about the opinion of someone they have never even met before, especially when that opinion influences one of the biggest choices of your life. Just saying, not insulting. If you want to consult with other SDN members, that's fine. I would personally just go by interview day talking with friends/family/mentors etc.

Usually though, this is how school dscussions go on SDN as far as one DO school being the most awesome DO school in the world:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vw2CrY9Igs[/YOUTUBE]

there are many things to consider when choosing a school, sometimes so many one has trouble even deciding for themselves...and this is where insight is needed from others..there is nothing wrong with that...some decisions are not so black and white...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you can get some really good information when asking this question. Especially if med students comment.

I think you can get some really good information when asking this question. Especially if med students comment.

Meh...

When someone ask's, should I go to this school or that, or this interview or that, I don't know how great the info received really is.

Here's a great example...someone asks, should I go to RVU or OUCOM? SDN will tear RVU(or LECOM,etc) apart and praise OUCOM (DMU, CCOM, etc). But is this "good" info?

It's not. I fact, if OP wanted to go primary care and didn't like rural settings, or any number of other things, RVU would be the better choice. There are SOOOO many other factors.

So, the thing I would suggest to consider is, if you have to ask the general populous to help you make your decision, include specifics about yourself. The more specifics, the less bogus info you'll get.

BTW, I used SDN as a primary source to help me prepare for med school app...I just hope those silent many who just read understand the bias involved in the answers to such open ended, subjective questions.

PS. Med students can be a great source of info, but can also be the most biased as well. They've only been to one school...and they usually either love it or hate it based on personal experience and preference...making their opinion even more biased.

Edit: and I'm not discouraging the threads as much as encouraging specificity and skepticism.

Hmm fair enough, but if I had applied to schools gotten into say CCOM and DMU and heads that CCOM doesn't record lectures if have already known to go to DMU in the fall.

Even those great med students, like big wily, don't have much more info than you can get on your own and are each an n=1...so I just want to make sure people are making their own minds up and getting as close to an unbiased look at their schools as possible.

So the people that go to the school and live in the area don't have much more information than you can get on the school's website or your school interview? I don't even...

The med students here are THE best resource. Sure, some of us are biased, but it's because we love the school we attend. Also, just because I'm biased doesn't mean I'm going to lie about anything.

So the people that go to the school and live in the area don't have much more information than you can get on the school's website or your school interview? I don't even...

The med students here are THE best resource. Sure, some of us are biased, but it's because we love the school we attend. Also, just because I'm biased doesn't mean I'm going to lie about anything.

You can be good resources, but not usually the best and very often biased. Remember, we are talking about the open question "should I go here or here".

You can be biased by love or hate, but all a biased

The actual best resources are med student I've actually met at interview and personal friends...but I still like SDN, it's just flawed

Hmm fair enough, but if I had applied to schools gotten into say CCOM and DMU and heads that CCOM doesn't record lectures if have already known to go to DMU in the fall.

That's great info to know, but wouldn't you find that out at interviews?

PS. Med students can be a great source of info, but can also be the most biased as well. They've only been to one school...and they usually either love it or hate it based on personal experience and preference...making their opinion even more biased.

Edit: and I'm not discouraging the threads as much as encouraging specificity and skepticism.

OK, I've got to turn this off and watch skyfall now...

;)

I think these threads are useful because I, too, factor Asian restaurants and traffic into my medical school decision.

I like reading threads about schools and seeing the differing opinions people have, whether they are pre-med or med students. It's possible to sift through a lot of the bias and misinformation after a while and just grab little pieces you like about something.

Of course you want an area that is clean and safe, for the most part. Recorded lectures. Non-mandatory (or partially mandatory) attendance. Clean and updated facilities. Good rotation sites. Other than that, there's not much more to look into, at least for me anyway. The rest is up to the student.

SDN has been an incredible resource for me this past year and I definitely encourage threads that talk about pros and cons of schools. I know next year many of us as M1s will help the premies with the best advice possible.

Last edited:
I like reading threads about schools and seeing the differing opinions people have, whether they are pre-med or med students. It's possible to sift through a lot of the bias and misinformation after a while and just grab little pieces you like about something.

Of course you want an area that is clean and safe, for the most part. Recorded lectures. Non-mandatory (or partially mandatory) attendance. Clean and updated facilities. Good rotation sites. Other than that, there's not much more to look into, at least for me anyway. The rest is up to the student.

SDN has been an incredible resource for me this past year and I definitely encourage threads that talk about pros and cons of schools. I know next year many of us as M1s will help the premies with the best advice possible.

Exactly. You don't need to take everything seriously, but SDN is a useful resource nonetheless. And to rule it out entirely seems quite silly. I can guarantee you right now that I've learned just as much about my potential schools from carefully browsing SDN than from interviews days which are framed to be as positive as possible since they're basically selling their school to you (and basically don't even discuss 3rd and 4th year save for telling you "there are ample rotation sites available").

In addition, not all of us have "people we trust" in the medical world who we can quickly turn to for advice, so sometimes anonymous information can be quite useful.

OK, well I see that some of you just like to talk it out on here. While thats not something I would find helpful, I can see the value in that for some.

My biggest reservation about these threads is that they are a breeding ground for misinformation. Much of the time opinion is expressed as fact in these and many more people read them than just the few who comment. Even those great med students, like big wily, don't have much more info than you can get on your own and are each an n=1...so I just want to make sure people are making their own minds up and getting as close to an unbiased look at their schools as possible.

Carry on.

Big Wily Style? (dat 90s clean rap)

I agree with OP but this is a futile effort. It's not going to stop. I mentioned earlier in the year (around Sept) that this was going to happen as it always does once people start getting multiple acceptances. Same thing happened for my cycle. After a while, you just tend not to click on those threads anymore.

Big Wily Style? (dat 90s clean rap)

I agree with OP but this is a futile effort. It's not going to stop. I mentioned earlier in the year (around Sept) that this was going to happen as it always does once people start getting multiple acceptances. Same thing happened for my cycle. After a while, you just tend not to click on those threads anymore.

:thumbup:

haha...back when things were still pure!

Great advice...and a great example of a time where I love input from med students (not just because he agreed with me. Come on. Im not that petty ;) )

OUCOM's mission statement is to produce primary care physicians... and the school is in a rural location. Plenty of OUCOM grads go rural PC. That's not a great example of a comparison because you should go to OUCOM regardless. It's extremely well supported as a state school, it is well established with a huge loyal alum network and reputation around the state, and the CORE is an excellent rotation system. You don't need to rip RVU to figure that one out.

And, let's be clear. If you want rural primary care you can and will get it regardless of where you are educated anyhow, the demand is large.

The biggest issue is how repetitive the threads get, starting around now. There are at least 3 involving KCUMB on the first page.

The biggest issue is how repetitive the threads get, starting around now. There are at least 3 involving KCUMB on the first page.

Right -- that's the true problem. But there's no shame in getting second/third/fourth opinions from med students and alumni. I respectfully disagree with the OP.

Exactly. You don't need to take everything seriously, but SDN is a useful resource nonetheless. And to rule it out entirely seems quite silly. I can guarantee you right now that I've learned just as much about my potential schools from carefully browsing SDN than from interviews days which are framed to be as positive as possible since they're basically selling their school to you (and basically don't even discuss 3rd and 4th year save for telling you "there are ample rotation sites available").

In addition, not all of us have "people we trust" in the medical world who we can quickly turn to for advice, so sometimes anonymous information can be quite useful.

Yes. I've said this before, but people should be able to look through all of the information being provided to find what is essential for them. It's always important to get as much informed feedback as possible. If you use the opinions of only 2 people on SDN as law, you missed something in your education so far.

Well to each their own...I don't mean to discourage anyone from posting, post away!

I also realize that this is more of a social network to some than others, and I'll respect that.

Main point though, if you are looking for more than just a social conversation...if you are looking for good info, ask a more specific question than this school or that school.

Give specifics about yourself, and ask specifics about the school...otherwise, you'll be getting subjective info that may or may not be all that helpful.

I respectfully disagree. I could state my reasons, but instead I'm going to quote FrkyBgStok:

I understand what you are saying but it is great to get input. Different things are important to other people and someone might come with a fact you never knew that could really affect your decision

:thumbup: yay!

it is incredibly annoying when there are 3 threads that are School 1 vs. School 2 or any derivative of that and it is incredibly annoying when people are asking obvious "should i go to this better school with cheaper tuition that is in the top 5 or this brand new one that has been controversial." those are annoying. but in general it really is a tough decision because it affects so much.

for example, for the past 5 years i think it has been pretty obvious that I wanted to go to DMU and I got accepted to DMU and KCUMB and it was really hard to give up my acceptance to KCUMB because i was worried about making a mistake. It was a no brainer decision for me and everyone knew that but the what ifs were in my mind. so in light of not having an obvious answer, it is a really hard decision and the people here can be giant douchebags, but they can also provide very valuable information.

Maybe Im wrong, I mean, check out this helpful info from a school v school thread. From a med student no less! :
This debate has now just become a battle of whose opinion is more "right". All the facts have been presented by both sides... now it's just becoming redundant.

"Cell is the only main villain Goku does not bite in battle.
Piccolo is only 4 years older than Gohan.
Throughout all 3 series Bulma has 17 hairstyles.
Baby is the only main antagonist Goku beats as a Super Saiyan 4.
Despite usually calling him Kakarot, Vegeta does call Goku by his Earth name 8 times.
Technically Gohan, not Goku, beat Vegeta on Earth.
There are over 25 different kinds of the Kamehameha.
Over the course of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z Goku uses the Kamehameha 97 times.
When Goku was born Master Roshi was 307 years old.
The fight between Goku and Frieza is the longest fight to date in anime history. It takes roughly 3 and a half hours of screen time (briefly interrupted after Goku uses the Spirit Bomb).
8 Saiyans survived the destruction of Planet Vegeta.
Videl, Mr. Satan's daughter, is an anagram for "devil".
Counting movies and GT, the Spirit Bomb is used 8 times.
Tien fought every major villain except Frieza (being dead at the time).
Tien and Chiaotzu are the first characters seen flying.
Yamacha is killed, severely injured, and/or already dead in every saga of Dragonball Z."

:smuggrin:

I hate how every major villian goku decides they can only be beaten with the spirit bomb. better yet, I hate how goku is always the one to defeat the villians after vegeta enters the battle, says something legit then get's his butt handed to him on a silver platter. how can goku be 200x stronger than vegeta? so lame. by the time GT started every character was super weak besides goku.

I hate how every major villian goku decides they can only be beaten with the spirit bomb. better yet, I hate how goku is always the one to defeat the villians after vegeta enters the battle, says something legit then get's his butt handed to him on a silver platter. how can goku be 200x stronger than vegeta? so lame. by the time GT started every character was super weak besides goku.

Haha...thanks smalls ;)