Which schools do not have mandatory attendance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This question has been asked before in previous threads, but they've devolved into an ethical debate about whether med students have an obligation to attend class.

I learn way more efficiently through independent study, instead of attending lecture. I'm wondering what schools do not have mandatory attendance. I've heard NSUCOM and Touro do.

These are the schools I'm most interested in:

1) Western U
2) AZCOM
3) PCOM
4) CCOM
5) KCOM
6) MSUCOM
7) UNECOM

Also, if a school doesn't have mandatory attendance, are the notes and powerpoints usually made available online?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I would have researched this before I started. Granted it's just perk vs the main reward of getting accepted but man class is a waste of time.

I assume all schools would give ppts online. It's nice though having recorded lectures online so you can review something at 2.5x speed.

I'll try to keep a running list if ppl want to post if they know or not on this thread

Osteopathic schools with Mandatory Attendance

KCUMB
Touro (NY, CA)
PNWU
VCOM
CUSOM

Osteopathic schools without Mandatory Attendance

DMU
ATSU-SOMA
NYCOM
RVU
KCOM
NSU
TUNCOM
AZCOM
CCOM
Western U (depends on the class)
LMU-DCOM
WVSOM

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm the exact same way, and I'm really hoping we get a good list of which schools do/don't.

I have heard that DMU does not have mandatory attendance, and KCUMB does. OP you could start a list in your first post and update it as people respond.

:thumbup: That'd be a good idea.

From the looks of it though, OP isn't very active on these forums...

Maybe s/he has a life, unlike the rest of us.

Untitled-1.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
I'll try to keep a running list if ppl want to post if they know or not on this thread

KCUMB
NSU
Touro (NY, CA, NV)
PNWU
VCOM

DMU
ATSU-SOMA
NYCOM
RVU (I think)

You can take NSU off your mandatory list for most courses. I bet the M1s have something similar, but the M2s just have mandatory labs plus PCM small group and Friday class. All others "strongly encouraged" by admin.

Last edited:
Hi all,

This question has been asked before in previous threads, but they've devolved into an ethical debate about whether med students have an obligation to attend class.

I learn way more efficiently through independent study, instead of attending lecture. I'm wondering what schools do not have mandatory attendance. I've heard NSUCOM and Touro do.

These are the schools I'm most interested in:

1) Western U
2) AZCOM
3) PCOM
4) CCOM
5) KCOM
6) MSUCOM
7) UNECOM

Also, if a school doesn't have mandatory attendance, are the notes and powerpoints usually made available online?

Thank you

WesternU is a mixed bag with the required classes. Lectures are generally not required and are recorded and put online within a couple hours. For some courses that are lecture heavy you can conceivably not come to class other than the days you have OMM or ECM.

But then you get into systems later in first year and all through second year. Then there are a lot more small group/ large group format that will require attendance. There have been very few days so far into second year that we have not had a required class that forced you to come to campus for at least a few hours, if not the whole day.

If you end up coming to WesternU in Pomona try to live close enough to the school so the commute doesn't bother you. It's the people who have to drive from Riverside or LA that seem to have the most beef with our class schedule.

KCUMB
NSU
Touro (NY, CA, NV)
PNWU
VCOM

DMU
ATSU-SOMA
NYCOM
RVU (I think)

Touro Nevada only has mandatory attendance for labs or when there is a guest speaker or special event.

No attendance required at AZCOM, with a few exceptions... Anatomy lab and OMM lab of course require attendance. Our clinical skills class has required attendance, but so far they only really enforce that for the clinical skills workshops we have every couple of weeks.

Power points and/or notes are posted for every class, and for the most part (some professors' slides are better than others) are plenty adequate for covering that material covered in lecture.

Lectures aren't recorded. There is talk of this changing some time in the next year, we'll see if it happens. You are allowed to audio record (but not video) most lectures.

I go to some classes and don't go to others. When you start school you'll quickly get a feel for which lectures are beneficial to attended in person and which ones are less so.

Lecture attendance isn't required at KCOM. Obviously you have to go to labs, but I imagine that's the case at any school. Those are all hands-on learning anyway.

Notes and slides go online either before or right after lecture. Lecture audio is recorded, but isn't always synced to the slides. I personally find my performance is uncorrelated with lecture attendance, as the handouts are the end-all-be-all of testable material unless explicitly stated otherwise. And like you, I tend to check out during lectures regardless of how good the lecture actually is (anatomy lectures are particularly good here).

I've always understood that labs and such are required. What I don't get though are the schools that have like 8 hours of mandatory lecture and expect you to not kill yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Things can always change at LMU-DCOM based on attendance...but as far as I know, it is still not a required attendance school, with the exception of labs. My class had a certain period where guest speakers were required, but they finally cut us loose and told us they wouldn't required them anymore, but would "strongly encourage" attendance with guests.

Alright, I copied and pasted responses from this thread, a facebook thread I posed the same question in, and an sdn thread from 2010. Here are the combined responses. Would be great to hear from somebody at MSUCOM and CCOM:

MSUCOM

No mandatory attendance to most lectures, but some are along with small groups. You get a coursepack with the lectures for most classes and most lectures are streamed live and recorded on mediasite.

Western

WesternU is a mixed bag with the required classes. Lectures are generally not required and are recorded and put online within a couple hours. For some courses that are lecture heavy you can conceivably not come to class other than the days you have OMM or ECM.

But then you get into systems later in first year and all through second year. Then there are a lot more small group/ large group format that will require attendance. There have been very few days so far into second year that we have not had a required class that forced you to come to campus for at least a few hours, if not the whole day.

If you end up coming to WesternU in Pomona try to live close enough to the school so the commute doesn't bother you. It's the people who have to drive from Riverside or LA that seem to have the most beef with our class schedule.

PCOM

Only labs are mandatory
Scribe-notes service is available for about $150/yr.

NSU

You can take NSU off your mandatory list for most courses. I bet the M1s have something similar, but the M2s just have mandatory labs plus PCM small group and Friday class. All others "strongly encouraged" by admin.

DMU

DMU - NO mandatory attendance / Recorded lectures & notepool

AZCOM

No attendance required at AZCOM, with a few exceptions... Anatomy lab and OMM lab of course require attendance. Our clinical skills class has required attendance, but so far they only really enforce that for the clinical skills workshops we have every couple of weeks.

Power points and/or notes are posted for every class, and for the most part (some professors' slides are better than others) are plenty adequate for covering that material covered in lecture.

Lectures aren't recorded. There is talk of this changing some time in the next year, we'll see if it happens. You are allowed to audio record (but not video) most lectures.

NYCOM

NYCOM does have a mandatory attendance policy, but it's not enforced. With a class of almost 300, it's kind of impossible for them to keep track of everyone. There are a bunch of people I know who don't attend lecture (I personally attend most lectures, but it all depends on you and how you learn best.)

Despite the attendance policy, NYCOM records all of the lectures and they can be played back at 2x speed, slowed down, etc. They usually threaten to stop streaming lectures if people don't show up to class, but they haven't actually done it.

Touro

Touro-NV does not have mandatory attendance, except for labs and a few special classes here and there.

Touro Nevada only has mandatory attendance for labs or when there is a guest speaker or special event.

LECOM

Mandatory

UNECOM

Here at UNECOM we have a total of 7 hours of required class per week... the other 25-33 hours are optional, and plenty of people skip them.

However, if you come here and sit in the back row of the MS2 room, you can see the ocean when you're bored!

UMDNJ SOM

At UMDNJ SOM, lectures are not mandatory, we always record the lecture and powerpoints are all up on Blackboard

LMU DCOM

Lectures are not mandatory, we always record the lecture and powerpoints are all up on Blackboard

KCOM

Lecture attendance isn't required at KCOM. Obviously you have to go to labs, but I imagine that's the case at any school. Those are all hands-on learning anyway.

Notes and slides go online either before or right after lecture.

VCOM

Mandatory

Marian

Not mandatory

RVUCOM

Optional with videos and materials available online at RVU. Some lectures are mandatory, and they encourage attendance, but not technically mandatory

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
CCOM is like AZCOM

There are a few classes with mandatory attendance like OMM lab, anatomy lab, clinical skills labs etc
But the rest are non mandatory

I am aware and I addressed this is the opening clause of my post...

You quoted a spam bot (which copy/paste parts of what another has said in the thread already; their usernames are usually gibberish, too).

You quoted a spam bot (which copy/paste parts of what another has said in the thread already; their usernames are usually gibberish, too).

well that's embarrassing

WVSOM doesn't have mandatory attendance, with the exception of labs

Anybody know abut the Attendance/dress code policy at WCU-COM, PCOMGA, ACOM???

80% mandatory attendance policy at WCU and ACOM, but I don't think PCOM Ga has mandatory attendance.

when I interviewed at NSU, the students said it was 80% mandatory

Just to add to this, the large group sessions are not mandatory however they have quizzes towards the end so they are mandatory in that sense. That being said, I've been able to sleep in and wake up around 10:30 AM ish during the days that we have large group and head over to campus to take the quiz which is usually in the last 30 min of the large group classes and still do just fine on the quizzes.

That being said, the small group sessions are mandatory and you have to sign in but you're allowed to drop 1 small group assignment so you can miss 1 session throughout the duration of that specific systems course.

At westernU, they had us sit in on a lecture and all of the students were in white coats. Can a westernU student give some insight on which classes have the white coat dress code? (Definitely not complaining about that. They look nice!!)

At westernU, they had us sit in on a lecture and all of the students were in white coats. Can a westernU student give some insight on which classes have the white coat dress code? (Definitely not complaining about that. They look nice!!)
Sounds like our doctoring class, Essentials of Clinical Medicine where we're required to wear our white coats at all times. If you choose not to or you forget, prepared to get called out or ridiculed in front of the class. Aside from those instances, you can dress casual.

Sounds like our doctoring class, Essentials of Clinical Medicine where we're required to wear our white coats at all times. If you choose not to or you forget, prepared to get called out or ridiculed in front of the class. Aside from those instances, you can dress casual.

Are you allowed to wear scrubbs under your white coat when you attend lectures or ECM?

when I interviewed at NSU, the students said it was 80% mandatory

I'm an M1 at NSU. We're only required to go to labs and fluffy classes like Foundations and Humanism. Classes like histo, biochem, anatomy, OPP, and physio are not mandatory. Unless they're changing it for next year- which would REALLY suck, I don't know where they got the 80% from.

Scrubs are not allowed outside of the anatomy lab. They discourage you from wearing them in class so the formaldehyde smell doesn't stick on the cloth fibers of the chairs.

Oh dude. I would never wear my anatomy scrubs to other places. I usually head straight home and throw them off.

I hope they were asking about scrubs you own that aren't used in dissections.

I thought touro ca was not mandatory but now just reading their student handbook it says it is.

Can anyone confirm/deny? Thanks!

Scrubs are not allowed outside of the anatomy lab. They discourage you from wearing them in class so the formaldehyde smell doesn't stick on the cloth fibers of the chairs.

unfortunate. i practically lived in my scrubs during 1st year.

At PCOM-GA, the only mandatory lectures are guest lectures. Regular lectures are not mandatory and are recorded. Also, lab attendance is mandatory. Apparently they like to "encourage" attendance by offering quizzes worth a small portion of your grade. On interview day I heard 1-2% of your grade, on SDN I read 5-10%.

At Touro-NY, I'm not sure if the "lectures" are mandatory. They aren't traditional lectures though, and have graded quizzes. Their schedule does not have 8 hours of "lecture" or anything like that though.

MUCOM has no mandatory attendance, except for labs. All power points and sets of notes are given to you and all lectures/labs are recorded. Also no dress code.

bump

I heard PNWU does not have mandatory attendance anymore?

does anyone know if MSU COM still has a policy of non mandatory attendance for classes that could be streamed. ...?

Like some have said, WesternU's small group is mandatory as are the OMM and Clinical Skills. For the most part you can have an "off-campus" experience for the school. As for large groups quizzes, they are entirely dependent on the course director. My advisor told me they are trying to phase out a lot of the SG/LG stuff and what they are experimenting on is getting rid of quizzes most of second year. Honestly, I'd never want to attend a school that would force me to go to lecture.